Best/Most Disappointing Places You Have Visited

Started by Canalman, June 20, 2008, 12:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: trailer on October 03, 2022, 01:17:25 PM
Cannot believe I missed this thread.

Best places?
London. Love it. Brilliant city. Lots to do restaurants, night life all fantastic.
New York. Again loads to do.
San Francisco. More laid back but great city

Worst?

Donegal top of that list. From Bundoran to Downings they have completely ruined a nice county with some of the most appalling planning decisions ever made. The CC has never heard of footpaths. 80% of all houses built remain unfinished. Card payment technology hasn't reached them yet and it f**king rains a lot. Completely overrated.

Philadelphia. A real shit hole. It does have footpaths but like Donegal - Avoid!

It's been a few years since I've been home, but the place must have gone seriously downhill since National Geographic labeled us "coolest place in the world" in 2017.

Maybe the CC should have diverted some of the NG money to finishing off those footpaths and houses! :D

screenexile

I never used to be a fan of Donegal but having spent a lot of time up in Inishowen the last year or so it's absolutely fantastic. Scenery/People/Food/Things to do ... It has definitely converted me!!

Armamike

Not an exhaustive list.

Best:

Grand Canyon
Savannah (pretty unique)
New York
Berlin
Barcelona
San Francisco
Prague
Amalfi coast
Antrim Glens
Galway
Ring of Kerry

Worst:

Phoenix
Paris
Strabane
Dungannon
Keady  :)

That's just, like your opinion man.

red hander

Quote from: lurganblue on October 03, 2022, 02:29:44 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on September 30, 2022, 11:05:17 PM
Best- New Zealand both islands by a mile.
Fiji, Halong Bay Vietnam, PhiPhi Thailand, Las Vegas honourable mentions.

Worst- Downtown LA, Tunisia, Vienna

Surely not? What a city. Culture, Art, Music, Food and wine. Stunning buildings etc. What experience made it one of the worst places for you?

Over for Ireland game few years back, got steamboats on hot rum punch outside the big cathedral and pile of pints (Austrian beer is as good and as strong as German, and I thought big steak would help absorb it), ended up headbutting the pavement and requiring ambulance attention. They chased me for a €550 bill for years despite my European medical card until they finally gave up. Still love the place, been about four times.

mrdeeds

Surely not? What a city. Culture, Art, Music, Food and wine. Stunning buildings etc. What experience made it one of the worst places for you?

I've seen a good chunk of world and never been as bored as I was in Vienna.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 03, 2022, 03:49:55 PM

It means nothing to you!?

I've seen a good chunk of world and never been as bored as I was in Vienna.

An Watcher

Obviously a number of people on here have never been in the Farmers Home in Strabane.  A tremendous establishment

Rudi

Quote from: Armamike on October 03, 2022, 03:36:10 PM
Not an exhaustive list.

Best:

Grand Canyon
Savannah (pretty unique)
New York
Berlin
Barcelona
San Francisco
Prague
Amalfi coast
Antrim Glens
Galway
Ring of Kerry

Worst:

Phoenix
Paris
Strabane
Dungannon
Keady  :)

Was in Phoenix one April. Beautiful weather & thought place was great. Was work related & stayed in a fancy enough spot. Thought downtown was great, had a great night in Alice Coopers place. Even got the face painted, stopped some cyclist half cut at 1.00 in the morning, took off on his bike for a 3k spin around the city. He was glad to see me ;D come back.  ;D

Rudi

best

Rural Norway
London City Centre
San Fran (2005)
Colorado springs - actually all of Colorado, front & back ranges.
Amalfi Coast
Sicily - glorious
La Pineda - Tarragona
Lakes in Michigan
Erri PA
Phoenix
Linz Austria
Rural Germany around the Black Forest, great spot what a surprise
Smokie mountains

worst
Portimao - Prai de Rocha
Wisconsin
Detroit
Flint Michigan
Dublin inner city
Majorca - Santa Ponza
New Orleans, strange spot maybe too much tourists.

How could I have forgotten Glasgow,  biggest sectarian shithole on the planet. Newcastle another mess

screenexile

Best:

Barcelona
Toronto
Bruges
Krakow
Dubrovnik
Reykjavik
Prague
Lake Garda

Worst
Edinburgh (Just I had a poor NYE night there not sure it was Ediburgh's fault)
Newcastle (County down and NE England)
Donegal Town (Meh)
Bundoran (Meh)
Valencia (Probably OK for a city break but went there on a stag do... it's not the place for a stag)
Eindhoven - (Pretty boring place with most people stoned in it)
Valletta - Malta (Other than the weather not sure what else it has really)
Stoke (Jesus!)
Anywhere in Tyrone (Self explanatory)

tonto1888

JoG2

Anyone with either London or Donegal on their worst / disappointing list is the problem, not the destinations

Cunny Funt

Quote from: screenexile on October 03, 2022, 03:03:45 PM
I never used to be a fan of Donegal but having spent a lot of time up in Inishowen the last year or so it's absolutely fantastic. Scenery/People/Food/Things to do ... It has definitely converted me!!

Lovely spot, spent many summers in my youth there. Due a trip back there as last visit near 20 years ago.

seafoid

Quote from: JoG2 on October 03, 2022, 05:49:28 PM
Anyone with either London or Donegal on their worst / disappointing list is the problem, not the destinations
London has plenty of kips. Loads of homeless. Turbo inequality. It also has fabulous nightlife and great restaurants.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 03, 2022, 05:49:28 PM
London has plenty of kips. Loads of homeless. Turbo inequality. It also has fabulous nightlife and great restaurants.

If you are going on a city break to London you'll hardly end up in the kips unless you did so on purpose..

Plenty homeless Galway, around about 300 odds this month
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea