Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandstorm

I have never seen a team with the know how to win like  Kilcoo.

general_lee

Quote from: Sandstorm on October 02, 2022, 11:46:16 PM
Did you never watch Crossmaglen 1996-2015?

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Sandstorm on October 02, 2022, 11:46:16 PM

Know how is exactly right.
Obviously they have a lot of talent & athleticism but they also have that intelligence  to think their way through a game.
They always do just enough to win.
That's not luck. It's know how. 

terrifictommy

CPN have a big week ahead for getting the goalkeeper and full back assessed if they can play in final. Be a real shame if they were to miss out, both have done well this year.
Not sure I'm looking forward to any final, can see them all being disappointing

Truth hurts

The puke keep ball football needs to stop and I do not know how the GAA will stop this, the game is boring and it's not just in our own county but played all over tee country. We have been lucky that we have had penalties on 3 occasions in the championship as it added some entertainment. Kilcoo will take the Point easily, especially with their injuries and I can only see Glen Maghera beating them in Ulster, St Eunans as a dark horse. Rostrevor should have too much for Saval and Tecconaught will take Dromara.

5times5times

Serious question...

If your club had an open management position, would you touch Poacher with a barge pole?

Football is horrendous to watch, and his side-line antics aren't much better.

sdg

Quote from: 5times5times on October 03, 2022, 10:53:34 AM
Serious question...

If your club had an open management position, would you touch Poacher with a barge pole?

No, the man only can play one way, has never won anything at club football

terrifictommy

Loughinisland midfielder, think 9, caught some great ball yesterday. Surely worth a look for county team as midfield has been a weak spot? John Boyle was fabulous throughout, maybe benefitted from a couple of weeks game time.

Truth hurts

Serious question...

Every coach in Down and Ulster are playing this way, name a club in Down that plays attractive football because I can't.

Its not just Steven Paochers fault, the GAA need to change the rules.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 03, 2022, 11:58:25 AM
Serious question...

Every coach in Down and Ulster are playing this way, name a club in Down that plays attractive football because I can't.

Out of curiosity, what teams in senior football would you support or watch most often?
I'm assuming Downpatrick & / or Loughinisland as they are nearest to you if you are in Ballykinlar?

Do they not both play traditional football with no sweeper or mass defence?

thewobbler

Serious question...

In a weekend where every team held onto the ball for minutes at a time, is it really fair to suggest that one coach is a problem?

befair

As long as the rules continue to incentivise 15-men-behind-the-ball defensive football, it's not any particular coaches fault.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on October 03, 2022, 12:41:18 PM
Serious question...

Out of curiosity, what teams in senior football would you support or watch most often?
I'm assuming Downpatrick & / or Loughinisland as they are nearest to you if you are in Ballykinlar?

Did you watch Loughinisland v Warrenpoint yesterday, 15 men behind the ball for both teams and keep ball, RGU played this way all year as well. McCorry, Gilligan, Mulholland, McBride, its all over Down and throughout Ireland, we were lucky with the penalties in the championship but the spectacles have been poor overall. Mayobridge were always going to struggle without Quinn and against the all Ireland champs it was always going to be like that, when he returns they will be better. Trust me Down seniors will be playing the same way next year so get used to it.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 03, 2022, 01:42:39 PM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on October 03, 2022, 12:41:18 PM
Serious question...

Did you watch Loughinisland v Warrenpoint yesterday, 15 men behind the ball for both teams and keep ball, RGU played this way all year as well. McCorry, Gilligan, Mulholland, McBride, its all over Down and throughout Ireland, we were lucky with the penalties in the championship but the spectacles have been poor overall. Mayobridge were always going to struggle without Quinn and against the all Ireland champs it was always going to be like that, when he returns they will be better. Trust me Down seniors will be playing the same way next year so get used to it.

Tell me you don't watch football without telling me you don't watch football.. We've not played with a sweeper all year, only time teams played 15 behind the ball was in extra time in the game yesterday. Dan was up on his on with Rory, Stefan or Oisin rotating in around him in the half forward/full forward area and Decky McClements dropping into midfield.

If it was 15 men behind the ball Point shouldn't have had over 15 wides never mind 15 shots. Again avoids question about his "Club"

yellowcard

Criticising Poacher for not winning anything is a bit like criticising Sean Dyche or Big Sam for not winning the League. He hasn't exactly managed any top teams and every other manager in Down is a failure if that is your barometer for success.

If he was given the likes of the Burren job then the criticism might be warranted as they have a conveyor belt of talent but don't seem to know how to use it properly. I think Poacher would be the ideal man for the Burren job.