Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: thewobbler on September 20, 2022, 01:10:59 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on September 20, 2022, 12:30:22 PM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on September 20, 2022, 11:46:58 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on September 20, 2022, 10:44:07 AM
I do think that there should be a hurling board back in the county, a sub-committee of the main county board. I will look to see them working closely with the camogie board to promote hurling in both males and females across the county.  A lot of clubs in Down do not play this great ancient sport and I think that more needs to be done to get hurls into some clubs. You would be targeting clubs like Downpatrick, Burren, Annaclone, Rostrevor, etc to try to introduce hurling and camogie into their clubs.

Annaclone lads have always hurled in Ballela, the camogie team would have a good few Annaclone girls playing too at all levels.

Clonduff have got a fair few from Rostrevor and Mayobridge at the minute while there's a few Burren lads playing for Warrenpoint. The issue there would be keeping them past 11yo is the big challenge. It's very hard to start a new sport in a club with no history of it in the club, Saul will be a good case to keep an eye on.

Saul have a good catchment area and will be worth watching but Downpatrick should be pushing the sport. Dundrum, Bryansford, Glasdrumman, Attical, The kingdom, Ballymartin, Longstone, surely numbers there for a Mourne hurling team like Craobh Rua in Camlough .

Same for clubs around Magheradroll, Loughiniland, Drumaness and Saintfield areas. A new hurling board could push clubs to start and get coaches in as taster sessions.

Have a look through all those clubs you've named. Of them, maybe 1 is on a stronger football pedestal than they were 10 or 20 years ago, and 2 of them roughly the same. The rest have fallen back some or a lot.

Decline tends to run in parallel with membership levels. Not always. But usually.

I'd honestly say the last thing any of those clubs needs is hurling foisted upon it by idealists.

To be clear this isn't an anti hurling message. This is an acknowledgment of demographics message.

That was my point in a way. For younger lads there's always a club to go to if they want to play. Plenty of Ballyholland and Saval lads in Shamrocks playing. You can't start where there's no interest. The mourne clubs aren't into it. An Riocht had a team way back when the Sheehan's were up there, but they haven't hurled in years.

It's about 20 years since Rostrevor, Darragh Cross, Drumaness and Downpatrick stopped playing, closer to 30 years since underage hurling was played in any of those clubs. If you go a bit further back Kilcoo, St Johns, Mayobridge and Glenn had senior teams too. It would be nice to see some clubs start again but I don't see it happening.

Truth hurts

I do think that there should be a hurling board back in the county, a sub-committee of the main county board. I will look to see them working closely with the camogie board to promote hurling in both males and females across the county.  A lot of clubs in Down do not play this great ancient sport and I think that more needs to be done to get hurls into some clubs. You would be targeting clubs like Downpatrick, Burren, Annaclone, Rostrevor, etc to try to introduce hurling and camogie into their clubs.

Annaclone lads have always hurled in Ballela, the camogie team would have a good few Annaclone girls playing too at all levels.

Clonduff have got a fair few from Rostrevor and Mayobridge at the minute while there's a few Burren lads playing for Warrenpoint. The issue there would be keeping them past 11yo is the big challenge. It's very hard to start a new sport in a club with no history of it in the club, Saul will be a good case to keep an eye on.

Saul have a good catchment area and will be worth watching but Downpatrick should be pushing the sport. Dundrum, Bryansford, Glasdrumman, Attical, The kingdom, Ballymartin, Longstone, surely numbers there for a Mourne hurling team like Craobh Rua in Camlough .

Same for clubs around Magheradroll, Loughiniland, Drumaness and Saintfield areas. A new hurling board could push clubs to start and get coaches in as taster sessions.

Have a look through all those clubs you've named. Of them, maybe 1 is on a stronger football pedestal than they were 10 or 20 years ago, and 2 of them roughly the same. The rest have fallen back some or a lot.

Decline tends to run in parallel with membership levels. Not always. But usually.

I'd honestly say the last thing any of those clubs needs is hurling foisted upon it by idealists.

To be clear this isn't an anti hurling message. This is an acknowledgment of demographics message.

Imagine Glasdrumman was a base for the Mourne hurling club with new players coming from other areas, it might be a good boost for the club as they have low numbers. and I would not want club committees have to organize it, I would start with hurling coaches and the hurling board leading on this to get it going. Ballyholland would be another club with a big catchment area as the Shamrocks have some pick in the area.

Truth hurts

Kilcoo 4/6

Burren 10/3

Carryduff 9/1

Loughinisland 10/1

Mayobridge 11/1

Warrenpoint 16/1

Clonduff 16/1

Castlewellan 25/1

odds from PP, probably a fair reflection

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 20, 2022, 01:30:55 PM

Imagine Glasdrumman was a base for the Mourne hurling club with new players coming from other areas, it might be a good boost for the club as they have low numbers. and I would not want club committees have to organize it, I would start with hurling coaches and the hurling board leading on this to get it going. Ballyholland would be another club with a big catchment area as the Shamrocks have some pick in the area.

Wobblers right though, you can't foist hurling on any club, like you couldn't foist football on the Ards clubs but what you can do is give those who do want to play the opportunity to play without having to make them choose one sport over an other especially at underage.
We've lads who've played with Saul, Loughinisland and Kilclief in the recent past, no issues there and IIRC there's a few Ballyholland lads who play hurling for the Shamrocks, it's doable if the will is there.

Allocate times/days for hurling and football so that there isn't an overlap and in fairness that does happen or did happen with county blitzes in hurling every 1st saturday and 3rd saturday of the month, P7 down, with football the 2nd and 4th. Don't think that's in play at the minute but I thought it worked well enough.

Truth hurts

I would also like to see a football club in the ards, is there no interest at all?

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 20, 2022, 04:41:19 PM
I would also like to see a football club in the ards, is there no interest at all?

The catchment area of the three Ards clubs is approximately 7 to 8K of "parishioners" in total, Portaferry, 3.5 to 4K, Kircubbin/Ballycran 2.5K or so with ourselves sandwiched between the two less than 1K with approximately an adult playing population currently of just over 120 between the three clubs, we've barely 30 adult playing members in total, the other two would have more, but not much.

It's pales into insignificance compared to other area's with much bigger, underutilised areas.

Start there.

Anyone in the Ards who wants to play football does, but the catchment isn't there for a standalone team.

general

I see frank Dawson has left belleek after 1 season

DickyRock

Quote from: johnnycool on September 20, 2022, 02:58:27 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on September 20, 2022, 01:30:55 PM

Wobblers right though, you can't foist hurling on any club, like you couldn't foist football on the Ards clubs but what you can do is give those who do want to play the opportunity to play without having to make them choose one sport over an other especially at underage.
We've lads who've played with Saul, Loughinisland and Kilclief in the recent past, no issues there and IIRC there's a few Ballyholland lads who play hurling for the Shamrocks, it's doable if the will is there.

Allocate times/days for hurling and football so that there isn't an overlap and in fairness that does happen or did happen with county blitzes in hurling every 1st saturday and 3rd saturday of the month, P7 down, with football the 2nd and 4th. Don't think that's in play at the minute but I thought it worked well enough.

Primary school age group matches have been poorly organised since the pandemic. Need to get back to club hosting multi team blitzes and properly organise the red high matches - setting up pitches and leaving teams to it doesn't work as it flows badly as some teams feck with the fixtures. Also doesn't help that it breaks during the summer.

Nanderson

Quote from: general on September 20, 2022, 09:47:41 PM
Is he not with Bredagh?

Truth hurts

Quote from: Nanderson on September 21, 2022, 07:22:20 AM
Is he not with Bredagh?

Was with Bredagh and helping Beleek out as well.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 21, 2022, 08:36:19 AM
Is he not with Bredagh?

Will the Bredagh management stay in place next year? The merry go round has started already.

rosskarr

Quote from: Johnnysboys on September 21, 2022, 10:23:37 PM
Is he not with Bredagh?

Will the Bredagh management stay in place next year? The merry go round has started already.
Both teams up from Div 2 were in the SFC relegation playoffs.It'll be a struggle to stay in Div1 next year,I'd say.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Johnnysboys on September 21, 2022, 10:23:37 PM
Is he not with Bredagh?

Who's on the move?

Square Ball

Why would they not stay in place? Two objectives for the season, promotion ✔️ and remain in Senior championship ✔️, both acheived.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Truth hurts

I think the senior championship relegation needs to be removed and we need to go back to the league placings.

On another note the Down county Scor finals take place this Sunday, it's madness that Scor is moved to in the middle of the championship. There is no divisional final, sad to see.