Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Speaking of managers, Kieran Kingston comes across as an absolute gentleman.  Hi post-match interview on Sunday was very honest and classy.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on August 16, 2017, 10:00:39 AM
Speaking of managers, Kieran Kingston comes across as an absolute gentleman.  Hi post-match interview on Sunday was very honest and classy.

His during the match conversations (to put it lightly) didnt seem that classy lol!! as did the Rocks
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2017, 10:39:19 AM

His during the match conversations (to put it lightly) didnt seem that classy lol!! as did the Rocks

That's fair game. You want your management to be in the game too, as long as they don't lose sight of the bigger picture. But to be able to come 'down' so quickly after the game is very impressive and classy. You could do a compare and contrast with a few other managers, but that would probably be unfair.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2017, 10:39:19 AM

Game time is game time. Surely you that's managed knows that only too well!

Milltown Row2

Purley tongue in cheek, i was the worst manager for giving out during a game, he was just caught a couple of times out by the camera with some, not fit for tv language.

Hes done a fantasic job to turn around Cork... I said it on the league thread that i liked the way Cork were playing during the league and that some of the players looked in fine form, it was the last 10 minutes of their league games that let them down

dry surface hurlers with pace will always come good for the Championship and bar the sending off they would have (in my view) got to the final.. Plenty to work on but they wont be taken lightly next year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2017, 10:51:51 AM
Purley tongue in cheek, i was the worst manager for giving out during a game, he was just caught a couple of times out by the camera with some, not fit for tv language.

Hes done a fantasic job to turn around Cork... I said it on the league thread that i liked the way Cork were playing during the league and that some of the players looked in fine form, it was the last 10 minutes of their league games that let them down

dry surface hurlers with pace will always come good for the Championship and bar the sending off they would have (in my view) got to the final.. Plenty to work on but they wont be taken lightly next year

TBH I thought Waterford had gotten to grips with Nash's puckouts and had the better of most of the Cork forwards barring Horgan and the odd Lehane cameo and were about to kick on as the sending off occurred. Granted they were two points down when Cahalane got the line but I just felt that bit more experience would have seen Waterford home.
The sending off obviously made that a formality as Cork inexplicably went 5 on 5 in their own defence and weren't winning any of the physical battles up the other end,

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on August 16, 2017, 12:34:42 PM

TBH I thought Waterford had gotten to grips with Nash's puckouts and had the better of most of the Cork forwards barring Horgan and the odd Lehane cameo and were about to kick on as the sending off occurred. Granted they were two points down when Cahalane got the line but I just felt that bit more experience would have seen Waterford home.
The sending off obviously made that a formality as Cork inexplicably went 5 on 5 in their own defence and weren't winning any of the physical battles up the other end,

When you have as many defenders as Waterford have you'll get to grips with most forwards, but they were still behind at that point and Cork were not themselves largely to Waterfords defensive tactics and relied heavly on Horgan, even with the man off Cork rallied a bit but as you say man on man they werent going to win those physical battles..

As for Cork they will have to prove themselves next year and watch on from the sidelines, good wee Cork minor team so not all doom and gloom for the Rebles

Whats Galway's best team selection for the final, based on Waterfords gameplan?

Syferus

Very much seems to me like the ref punted on the face mask pull and allowed for the dream final to take place with all major protagonists available. It'd be hard to calculate what Waterford would even be without Gleeson.

Not fair on Galway, but as a neutral I'm happy the best hurler in the country won't be sitting on the sideline for the AI final.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on August 16, 2017, 02:09:45 PM
Very much seems to me like the ref punted on the face mask pull and allowed for the dream final to take place with all major protagonists available. It'd be hard to calculate what Waterford would even be without Gleeson.

Not fair on Galway, but as a neutral I'm happy the best hurler in the country won't be sitting on the sideline for the AI final.

Austin Gleeson is not the best hurler in the country. He's a very good hurler, with moments of brilliance, and long periods of anonymity and flashes of bad temper. He's also only 22 or something, so he has a great chance to mature into the best player.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2017, 02:12:48 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 16, 2017, 02:09:45 PM

Austin Gleeson is not the best hurler in the country. He's a very good hurler, with moments of brilliance, and long periods of anonymity and flashes of bad temper. He's also only 22 or something, so he has a great chance to mature into the best player.

By simple definition he is, given he is the reigning PotY. Even a good performance losing the final and he will retain the award for another year. He is the best there is right now imho.

AZOffaly

POTY is, at best, subjective. Aussie was very poor in the Munster Final last year, and Seamie Callinan and John McGrath had better overall years, in my opinion.

This year, I would think Jamie Barron is ahead of him for POTY.

skeog

James Owens not be reffing any big games in the future.Brian Crowe suffered same fate involving Noel o Leary.

seafoid

Anthony Cunningham deserves a lot of credit for stopping the rot in Galway hurling. He went with winners rather than habitual losers when he chose his first panel in late 2011. 37 hurlers and 20 were from the u21 winning team of that year. Out went a load of well regarded hurlers. It had to be done.
In the previous 5 years Galway reached 0 finals.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

I also thought cork would have won 15 on 15. Yes waterford were better on the puckouts but cork had found another way second half - they were beginning to get a lot of joy out of the cusack stand side corner and had i think 3 points in a row exactly the same which waterford couldn't seem to combat.

I thought with the man off if cork had pulled the man back and left waterford two sweepers it would have been interesting to see if mcgrath had stayed with two sweepers or pushed the man up. I think the fella is very defensive and wouldn't be convinced what he would have done but kingston played right into his hands.

The galway challenge will be interesting. I feel waterford need to start playing much accurate ball into their forwards to win.  How galway handle kevin moran will be key. For all the talk of gleeson waterford would be nowhere without him.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2017, 02:23:12 PM
POTY is, at best, subjective. Aussie was very poor in the Munster Final last year, and Seamie Callinan and John McGrath had better overall years, in my opinion.

This year, I would think Jamie Barron is ahead of him for POTY.
A lot of all stars are also  subjective
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU