Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

One of those odd things tonight. The stream provider probably pitched for a couple of thousand streams, but it being a cold shitty night, in a venue far away, and with a host of debutants from across the county, there might have been as many as 10,000 looking to watch.

If that sounds absurd, I remember 7,000 odd descending on RGU to watch Ross Carr's first experimental team play Antrim seconds, on the foulest of days.

I've no idea how we played.... does anyone?

Targetman

Quote from: supersub on January 07, 2022, 09:03:35 PM
Quote from: Green+Gold on January 07, 2022, 07:56:42 PM
Quote from: Targetman on January 07, 2022, 07:53:46 PM
£10 and match fuckin froze!!

Absolute joke

And do you think they are going to keep your £10 note and ride off gleefully into the distance never to be seen again? No, of course not. It will be refunded as would happen anywhere and it'll be forgotten about and go again Tuesday evening. Calm down, there's worse things going on in the world to get angry at.
Ok, thanks for that reality check!

GAABoardMod5

It is apparent that posters using "reliable sources" for team news are producing wrong teams/squads.

Whether the poster is just making it up and taking us for a ride is also possible.

Such jokers really should be kicked off the forum, but I'll let it pass in the spirit of the New Year.

If posters want to speculate on "the team I'd like to see" there is no problem.

"Reliable source" will only be accepted if quoted from an official online source, like the County Board sites (website, Facebook, or Twitter) and a link provided.

I also think a few posters are on the edge with their posts as well, and are advised to cop on or bans will be coming - you know who you are!

supersub

Quote from: Targetman on January 07, 2022, 09:19:50 PM
Quote from: supersub on January 07, 2022, 09:03:35 PM
Quote from: Green+Gold on January 07, 2022, 07:56:42 PM
Quote from: Targetman on January 07, 2022, 07:53:46 PM
£10 and match fuckin froze!!

Absolute joke

And do you think they are going to keep your £10 note and ride off gleefully into the distance never to be seen again? No, of course not. It will be refunded as would happen anywhere and it'll be forgotten about and go again Tuesday evening. Calm down, there's worse things going on in the world to get angry at.
Ok, thanks for that reality check!

You're welcome.

10,000 wouldn't be an unreasonable suggestion for the aforementioned reasons.

Good to see Mods, playground activity at its height unfortunately.

wobbller

Targetman

On the match Down did reasonably well considering it was a very young and inexperienced team, missed Gilmore's goal in the first half but Murdock took his well, a couple of good points from Ruairi Mc Cormack and a few dodgy decisions from Hurson!

whitegoodman

Was funny game for the amount we could see anyway.

Defended well but didnt offer much up front which maybe is expected from such an inexperienced team and the time of year.  Doherty and McParland will definitely add a bit of strength and bite around the middle.

I like the cut of McElroys jibe and McCormack did well.  O Hagan is a class act and hard to know whether he is better inside as he did so well in the half forward line last year.  The likes of Murdock and Close are going to need time so would be surprised if they are involved at the start of the league.  If we could find a target man akin to Harrison we mightn't be far away in staying up in Division 2.

All in all not bad start having expected a lot worse.  Thought the ref was terrible for both teams.

SamFever

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 07, 2022, 09:33:47 PM
Was funny game for the amount we could see anyway.

Defended well but didnt offer much up front which maybe is expected from such an inexperienced team and the time of year.  Doherty and McParland will definitely add a bit of strength and bite around the middle.

I like the cut of McElroys jibe and McCormack did well.  O Hagan is a class act and hard to know whether he is better inside as he did so well in the half forward line last year.  The likes of Murdock and Close are going to need time so would be surprised if they are involved at the start of the league.  If we could find a target man akin to Harrison we mightn't be far away in staying up in Division 2.

All in all not bad start having expected a lot worse.  Thought the ref was terrible for both teams.
A bit harsh on the two young lads.They were part of a team that did well a long way from home on a cold frosty night.

whitegoodman

Didn't think I was being harsh.  Odhran is only out of minor and Tom is probably a year older.  Just want realistic expectations set on them.

SamFever

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 07, 2022, 10:12:23 PM
Didn't think I was being harsh.  Odhran is only out of minor and Tom is probably a year older.  Just want realistic expectations set on them.
Ok

Lazer

I'm just home from the game, and there was a surprising crowd there for a McKenna cup game on a snowy day.

The game was far better than I expected, some good new players and they played well especially in the 2nd half.

The goal in the first half was lucky, and our midfield really didn't do well at the breaking ball in the first half, but this improved in the 2nd half 2.

Also showed signs of good defending and managed quite a few turnovers.

Andrew Gilmore had an excellent game in my opinion, as did Rory Burns.
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Mourne Rover

It was very difficult to assess our performance due to the constantly interrupted and jerky stream but the indications were that an understrength team did reasonably well on a long trip in difficult circumstances. McElroy and McCormack had decent debuts at the back, O'Rawe had his moments down the middle and Murdock and Gilmore managed goals on their first appearances. We are probably in a slightly better place for the crucial league trip to Derry but there is still a long way to go.

Johnnysboys

[/quote]
I doubt it Johnny in the 1st 15?? cant be!
[/quote]

Seàn Og McCusker has played games for them this year in championship. Only a young lad but has come through on that decent team they had a few years ago.

Lloyd p

Quote from: Mourne Red on January 06, 2022, 04:15:22 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 06, 2022, 01:03:36 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on January 06, 2022, 12:15:43 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 06, 2022, 11:27:42 AM
With Pat Havern back on board Saval should be expected to make an assault on the IFC.

Paul McComiskey seen in the coffee dock in the Town with John Clarke, do not be surprised to see him in the red of Dundrum this season.

Mac hasn't played in 5 years I doubt he'll be back playing for Dundrum

He is only 33/34, would have won them the JFC if he was playing. It will be some coup for Clarke .

Does anyone know if Burren will be allowed to have a team in Div 4 this year? It will will help one team and that's Burren.

Mac is coming 35 this year and spent his last 2 years he played with persistent back issues - After that length of time out and a young family I'd be fairly certain he'll not be back, I'll wager a Docs he won't.

Im starting to be convinced you're a wind-up merchant who tries to fill their teach day in on here. Reserve teams in Div 4 was discussed and scrapped 3/4 years ago

Mccomiskey been playing for St Brigids in Belfast for the last few seasons..

Truth hurts

I think we can stay in division 2 this season after Friday night's display, we have a lot of players to come back I urger everyone to get behind the team. I think big O'Rawe could be useful and Finn Mc looks decent.