Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: TheClutch on October 21, 2019, 03:46:41 PM
Is sledging a regular occurrence in Division 1/2 games? Having been involved in senior football for 10+ years at Division 3/4 level I've experienced very little sledging outside the usual "your sh**e" etc.
Personally I'd be shocked and furious if anything derogatory on a personal/non football level was aimed at myself or team mates, and would expect the referee and offender's club to take appropriate action.There is absolutely no place for it in our games and I'd feel rather ashamed of clubs at the higher end of our county it this was something that happened regularly in the top divisions.
Unfortunately I remember being subject to sledging in div 4 ~25 years ago, also  remember alleged sledging in underage matches more recently , and it hasn't been club specific .
Referees can not be expected to deal with it unless they hear it, as it's also possible that players could make up an allegation or misunderstand.
Ultimately the GAA needs to foster/promote/reward sportsmanship ( soccer/Rugby appear to have had some success with this) and presumably technology will develop over next few years to provide independent evidence .
Making grounds more family friendly and rival supporters more welcome should be encouraged and funded. Club's will be forced to police their own fans if they are hit with sanctions for evidenced behaviour.

Oglach

I would like an opportunity to clear a couple of things up regarding the minor match yesterday. Especially as whitegoodman, forevergreen, smurfy and others post whatever comes into their heads as fact.
The whole incident sits well with no one from the Kilcoo club.
The player involved was genuinely remorseful for what he said. He could have denied it and never had a suspension imposed on him but I'm glad he chose instead to admit his guilt and accepted his one match ban imposed by Kilcoo committee.
The punishment for verbally abusing your opponent carries a max one match ban.
Instead the County board gave an 8 week ban for 'bringing the game into disrepute'.
The Lad missed 4 matches including a senior and minor championship final.
A fair enough punishment I'd have thought.
How do you please the jealous mobs? Firing squad? Hangman?
Now ask yourselves honestly, would your club have suspended one of its own under similar circumstances?
I doubt it. Kilcoo acted with courage and I admire them for it.
The lad has learned his lesson, as a club we've tried to learn from this.
Always keen to improve, always keen to learn.

Hedgehunter

Quote from: Oglach on October 21, 2019, 07:39:04 PM
I would like an opportunity to clear a couple of things up regarding the minor match yesterday. Especially as whitegoodman, forevergreen, smurfy and others post whatever comes into their heads as fact.
The player involved was genuinely remorseful for what he said. He could have denied it and never had a suspension imposed on him but I'm glad he chose instead to admit his guilt and accepted his one match ban imposed by Kilcoo committee.
Instead the County board gave an 8 week ban for 'bringing the game into disrepute'.
Now ask yourselves honestly, would your club have suspended one of its own under similar circumstances?

Courage you say... ::) ::) ::)

Last Caress

Good to have your comments on this and clear up a few facts. I have no doubt this topic will continue. Unfortunately.

PTC

Quote from: Town Gael on October 21, 2019, 04:56:23 PM
Charlie Carr case thrown out. Unconfirmed reports suggest Kilcoo are going to Croke Park to appeal the decision.
😂 if they took it to Croke park they would win as they have won everything else this year 🏆🏆

whitegoodman

Quote from: Hedgehunter on October 21, 2019, 07:41:42 PM

Courage you say... ::) ::) ::)

Yea could expand on the courage part, has me a bit confused!

Of the 4 games how many were minor games  ?

whitegoodman

For many it's not jealousy either.

I don't think anyone could doubt that Kilcoo minor and senior team were the best teams in Down this year.  The minor team in particular are impressive and by a distance superior to the teams around them. 

But that's not what this discussion is about.

forevergreen

Ah so he didn't bring the game into disrepute, that clears that up, so in essence we have all learned that the young lad, the kilcoo minor management and club  couldn't give a flying f**k about the offended family and to hell with any justice they might have been entitled to, his apology was obviously about as sincere as Sammy Wilson saying he wants a United Ireland!!!
Well done always learning

Hedgehunter

Quote from: forevergreen on October 21, 2019, 08:55:24 PM
Ah so he didn't bring the game into disrepute, that clears that up, so in essence we have all learned that the young lad, the kilcoo minor management and club  couldn't give a flying f**k about the offended family and to hell with any justice they might have been entitled to, his apology was obviously about as sincere as Sammy Wilson saying he wants a United Ireland!!!
Well done always learning

Yea but they showed tremendous courage they way they went about it.

Golden Eye

So there we have it,,, how the Kilcoo club must be celebrating this morning or perhaps not. A week after winning the Down Senior Championship and their replayed minor victory  perhaps they won't actually be celebrating as much now. Given how they managed to get overturned at GAA HQ the alleged but very publicised sledging dished out by one of their minor players in a recent championship minor match against a young opponent who's mother had earlier this year passed away after a cancer battle,  the Kilcoo club found itself on the receiving end today at Newry Courthouse. The lies by their player were clearly and ruthlessly exposed.  Unlike the young minor footballers from Mayobridge who got no justice, Charlie Carr did. He got justice for himself, his family and the GAA family. The dog on the street has been aware of The Magpies dark arts. Their victorious senior captains of last week must surely be thoughtful after the court result today. Sledging a Downpatrick player last year and sledging the wife of a very recent Down captain come to mind. The once self nominated defenders of all that is republican, ran to the police when someone had the courage to stand up to them,,, and now they as a club have been found out. Monaghan senior footballers can now enjoy the fruits of Kilcoo's labour. What was the reason for appealing the minor players sledging??? Why were their supporters recently fighting at a ladies final? Is there not a moral fibre in anyone associated with their club and committee. Their recent successes are meaningless and of no value compared to the victory of Charlie Carr today. Today truth, manliness, courage and beating the bully prevailed.

Smurfy123

They are a club with little or no class
The way they conduct themselves on the field is nothing short of disgusting
Carr stood up the the sledging and the club run to the PSNI
They may be dominating Down football but the lack the class of the great Bryansford team of the 70s the brilliant all Ireland winning Burren team of the 80s and the swashbuckling Bridge team of the noughtys. Gloating on social media really makes the apology to the young lads family sound cheap. The manager has form for this behaviour.

Mourne Red

Need to stop the Kilcoo bashing and wise up this shite happens all over the county - Example Drumgath player a couple of years sledging a well known Tullylish player about something that is completely out of bounds, Lynch assaulting a minor who was playing for Saul last year before a ball was thrown in, absolutely no-one said anything about any of that on this forum.. As for the court case there were Kilcoo players who couldn't believe this was taken too court and were hoping that Charlie got nothing done against him.

My point is sledging and the shite is prevalent in nearly every club, it needs stamped out around the county time to take a look at the wider view not just be blinded because of your jealousy of Kilcoo

I'd agree with smurfy about the gloating, they don't help themselves and something that does grind a gear with me but the amunt of crap people write against them you can see why they are doing it

Last Caress

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 22, 2019, 08:43:23 AM
They may be dominating Down football but the lack the class of the great Bryansford team of the 70s the brilliant all Ireland winning Burren team of the 80s and the swashbuckling Bridge team of the noughtys. Gloating on social media really makes the apology to the young lads family sound cheap. The manager has form for this behaviour.
As far as I'm aware this case was not taken by the Club but by the individual (It was a Civil Case). More FAKE news. Worse than TRUMP!!!!

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: Last Caress on October 22, 2019, 08:57:49 AM
As far as I'm aware this case was not taken by the Club but by the individual (It was a Civil Case). More FAKE news. Worse than TRUMP!!!!

The sad thing in this whole thread is that people spout shite and others take it as gospel, half truths, half facts, total lies mixed in with an element of truth/fact.
Kilcoo as a club had nothing to do with court case so people coming on saying otherwise are incorrect and need to wise up! Yes there have been some unsavoury incidents this year but this thread is unbelievable with the vile hatred of the most successful club in the county this year by some stretch.
Everyone needs to look at their own club who no doubt have their own issues regarding supporters and or sledging. I have been at a lot of club football this year and have heard and seen quite a bit of bad behaviour and I can tell you now for a fact they weren't all from Kilcoo!!

Ambrose

Quote from: Last Caress on October 22, 2019, 08:57:49 AM

It was a criminal case, GBH, quite a serious charge. So serious that it was heard in the Crown Court instead of the Magistrates, so Carr could have possibly faced a prison sentence if found guilty.
Sad that it was allowed to get this far before someone finally called a halt to these proceedings. Also sad, but very typical that these so called hard men are the first to run to the police when they get a taste of their own medicine. Surely the media should ignore these cases unless the accused is found guilty.
You can't live off history and tradition forever