Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

i think they merit a chance anyway. I don't know but neither do you.

It was on the point of you talking about creggan when you said that about them.

Belfast GAA man

Best club players and best county players should be 2 different teams imo. James loughrey best county player last 20 year Sean Kelly best club player last 20 years
Kevin Brady also brilliant for club and county

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 05, 2019, 09:15:57 PM
Best club players and best county players should be 2 different teams imo. James loughrey best county player last 20 year Sean Kelly best club player last 20 years

Would it be fair to say Sean Kelly was played out of position for county?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 05, 2019, 10:00:01 PM

You're a gabshite, but you're correct.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 05, 2019, 10:08:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 05, 2019, 10:00:01 PM

You're a gabshite, but you're correct.

I've never claimed to not being a gobshite  ::)

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

;D

Yep you're right. So was Mulholland and a few other half backs. Finnegan got that a bit too. We've always struggled for corner backs so stuck our best half backs in there.

Kelly at half back was probably as good a club player as in Ireland for a few years. A joy to watch.

bannside

Indeed ITG. I said yesterday that Kieran Mc Gourty was imo the best club player of these last 20 years but Sean Kelly must sit jointly at that top table. Classy classy player.

Another omission upon afterthought was Michael Magill who was one of the most naturally gifted players probably in the province, but who should have got a lot lot more out of his county career. All about opinions though.

imtommygunn

Very much so. The power and athleticism Magill had in earlier years was something else.

paddyjohn

Martin Mulholland always played better at CHB when I saw him play there for Glenravel. Calm and composed. Alec McQuillan, now there was a half back.

Spike

Kieran McGourty a super footballer and we didn't see enough of him in an antrim jersey, more s the pity. Sean Kelly super club player but couldn't seem to do it at county level whether as a corner back or right half back. Kevin Brady put in a great shift for antrim over the years, in fact that '09 contained most of our top talent as past 20 years. I think the majority of that team were the best we have seen.

McGreevy at his peak was top class, could have made it anywhere.  Loughrey still doing it, tomas mccann and conor murray were great, Niblock, gallagher and cj were tremendous.  and at the top of it all, imo the best player in Antrim this generation and former allstar nominee, was Michael McCann. Not a better player this county has produced in 40 years

bannside

Youre right PJ, Alec could have played anywhere on the pitch or any sport for that matter. When he was in late teens I believe he held the rare achievement of playing in Ravenhill, Windsor Pk and Casement Park all in the same year. Not many can say that!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Spike on December 06, 2019, 10:19:02 AM
Kieran McGourty a super footballer and we didn't see enough of him in an antrim jersey, more s the pity. Sean Kelly super club player but couldn't seem to do it at county level whether as a corner back or right half back. Kevin Brady put in a great shift for antrim over the years, in fact that '09 contained most of our top talent as past 20 years. I think the majority of that team were the best we have seen.

McGreevy at his peak was top class, could have made it anywhere.  Loughrey still doing it, tomas mccann and conor murray were great, Niblock, gallagher and cj were tremendous.  and at the top of it all, imo the best player in Antrim this generation and former allstar nominee, was Michael McCann. Not a better player this county has produced in 40 years

Big shout there....

bannside

Agree with most of that Spike and for sure Micks name should rightly be up there when this debate is taking place. Niblock too must be in held in similar esteem. Loughrey too gave over 10 years service to club and county and deserves to be high on this shortlist too. We had a golden era around 2006 to 2010 and didnt know it/wasted it.

bannside

We went toe to toe with Kerry for 64 minutes in Tullamore in 09 - and they went on to win that All Ireland. Throw Sean Kelly Kieran Mc Gourty and a 100% Michael Magill into that mix....and who knows what might have happened.

Spike

true, possibly our most glorious failure