Started by thebandit, February 17, 2008, 07:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Cork be thrown out of the NFL

Yes
No
They should play all their games away
Yes - with a points penalty

TacadoirArdMhacha

I think the only fair way to sort this out is to relegate Cork if they finsih level on points with another team. Or possibly they could decide on a minus figure for Cork to be allocated for each game conceded. Perhaps -10, a bit like the way a team not fulfilling a soccer match would be given a 3-0 defeat.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Shamrock Shore

Fair enuf.

However if Dublin and Z are joint second on, say, 11 points then who gets promoted to Div 1?
Got 2 hours sleep is all last night. Someone put me out of my misery!

Hardy

Promote Z. I'm a big Z fan. When they're playing Dublin anyway.

passedit

Don't Panic

feetofflames

If a team was relegated by 1 or 2 points and suffered a defeat to Cork in the league this year,  Can they challenge this relegation on the basis that the GAA didnt follow its own rules?  Not a bit of wonder the GAA is imploding.
Chief Wiggum

Sky Blue

I think Pillar should follow Cody and offer to play Cork but only if the game is in Croke Pk. After all the hassle of arranging travel etc for last weekend for both the county Board and fans, it's the least they can do.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Sky Blue on February 20, 2008, 12:59:35 PM
I think Pillar should follow Cody and offer to play Cork but only if the game is in Croke Pk. After all the hassle of arranging travel etc for last weekend for both the county Board and fans, it's the least they can do.

Why would they play in Croke park?
Surely it would be in Parnell if Cork were to travel???  :o
Ask me holy bollix

heineken_on_tap

I dont see any benefit for Meath or Dublin not playing Cork - ok they get their two points but would they not be better off getting match practice, try different players etc. Meath claim they dont have a free weekend but surely even a mid week game under flood lights could be arranged.

his holiness nb

Dont think match practice will be a problem now that both sides are getting going in the league.

Both sides are struggling for free weekends with under 21 games in there too.

Cant see Dublin players managing to get to Cork midweek for a game without missing work.
Similarly would the Cork players get to Navan midweek without missing work?

Remember these guys are amateurs. They should not be pressured into missing work due to the mess Cork made of the leagues.
Ask me holy bollix

AN other

I see Conor Counihan has now been appointed according to Hoganstand.
I don't know if anybody has asked this previously but was there anything in the binding arbitration that would have prevented Cork reappointing Teddy Holland with him picking his own selectors? And if Cork had just removed the previous selectors and got Teddy Holland to appoint his own a while ago would it have solved the whole thing a long time ago?

heineken_on_tap

From Hoganstand

I have to agree with Maughan on this one, if Meath did not come out so strongly against a replay and it was two smaller counties involved, these games WOULD go ahead. We may not see the full implications of this until the final round of games - I only hope Cork get relegated

John Maughan is incensed by the CCCC's decision to award Meath and Dublin the points from their scrapped NFL clashes with Cork.

The Roscommon boss feels that the ruling has placed the five other counties in Division Two at a serious disadvantage and has hit out strongly at the decision:

"This has serious implications for the likes of us. Dublin and Meath have been given a serious leg-up here and I wonder if it had been Roscommon and Cavan would they have handed out the two points apiece.

"Handing two points on a plate to Dublin and Meath is fundamentally flawed and fundamentally wrong.

"Who is to say that either of those teams would not have struggled in this division and now they have got two handy points."

armaghniac

Well Dublin and probably Meath were likely to do alright. But scores may be important, say Roscommon get beaten by Dublin by 3 points and they end up on 4 points with Cork, with a score difference of -10 and Cork have a score difference of -8, does this mean that Roscommon get relegated on the basis of their game against Dublin. Can other teams in Div 2 just decide not to play Dublin?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ildanach

i think what should have happened is that cork should forfeited all games as per the rule stated a couple of weeks ago. Then whovever finishes 2nd from bottom should be relegated along with them. The weeks teams are due to play cork a compulsary challenge game can be played against them, thus giving them match practice and keeping everyone happy- apart from cork who have been automatically relegated.
With regard to a forfeited game , i think i remember a 3 point victory being the margin given for score differnce purposes but i'm not sure ??? 
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on February 20, 2008, 03:38:13 PM
Well Dublin and probably Meath were likely to do alright.
The latter's performance against Roscommon would suggest otherwise.

BallyhaiseMan

Cork should have been relegated in my opinion.

If it were the likes of the Rossies or Cavan who striked,
we would have been chucked out long ago.

Cork are special though  ::)