A Different Ball Game - The Future of the GAA in Northern Ireland

Started by Zulu, January 14, 2008, 08:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

For the same reason turkeys don't vote for Christmas. The amount of blazers and hangers on to the international team(s) would be halved, and we can't have that can we?

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 11:39:41 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 12:44:08 AM
Quote from: Pangurban on January 14, 2008, 10:53:51 PM
To describe this contrived ill thought out piece as incisive, is demeaning language. From its very foundation the G.A.A. has always been clear and upfront re. its position regarding the National question. The promotion of an irish identity within a sovereign irish state, has always been a core value. Membership is open to all regardless of religion or politics. As in every field of life, people who disagree with the aims and objectives of any organisation will not subscribe to or join that organisation. That is the reasonable view of the Unionist people of N.I.   For the G.A.A. to pretend to be something other than what it is, an attempt to promote itself as a mere sporting organisation, to widen its appeal, would be dishonest, and insulting to the intelligence of both communities. You can only reach out to people by stating your position honestly and with integrity. A debate based on any other premise is a fraud.
Why cant the GAA become non political , just be a sporting organisation a kin to the IRFU ,NFL
Why should the GAA change its entire ethos?

I agree with Pangurban completely.
Etho's what a great undefinable term. Some times i think you lot where happier during the troubles
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

his holiness nb

Gnevin is one of the modern breed. No religion, no remembrance of the past, no tradition.
Its ok to slag republicans but not unionists etc etc.

Its a funny world these days.

To suggest that liking the GAA being tied to the national identity is somehow comparable to being happier during the troubles is disgraceful though.

Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 15, 2008, 05:27:04 PM
Gnevin is one of the modern breed. No religion, no remembrance of the past, no tradition.

To suggest that liking the GAA being tied to the national identity is somehow comparable to being happier during the troubles is disgraceful though.

I've plenty remembrance of the past and tradition. Every time we as an organisation try to move forward we have Northern nationalist trying to drag back into the unhappy mire of the past .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 05:37:52 PM

I've plenty remembrance of the past and tradition. Every time we as an organisation try to move forward we have Northern nationalist trying to drag back into the unhappy mire of the past .

Drag us back? All they are saying here is they like it as it is. So do I, and I aint a Nordie.
Ask me holy bollix

ardmhachaabu

Something tells me he is what I would call a West Brit
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Rav67

Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 05:16:30 PM
To describe this contrived ill thought out piece as incisive, is demeaning language. From its very foundation the G.A.A. has always been clear and upfront re. its position regarding the National question. The promotion of an irish identity within a sovereign irish state, has always been a core value. Membership is open to all regardless of religion or politics. As in every field of life, people who disagree with the aims and objectives of any organisation will not subscribe to or join that organisation. That is the reasonable view of the Unionist people of N.I.   For the G.A.A. to pretend to be something other than what it is, an attempt to promote itself as a mere sporting organisation, to widen its appeal, would be dishonest, and insulting to the intelligence of both communities. You can only reach out to people by stating your position honestly and with integrity. A debate based on any other premise is a fraud.
Why cant the GAA become non political , just be a sporting organisation a kin to the IRFU ,NFL

Etho's what a great undefinable term. Some times i think you lot where happier during the troubles

The parish structure and the progression of players through teams, the whole community helping out or being part of the club in some way, makes it different than those other sporting administraive bodies that you mention.  Because it is so central in community spirit and cohesion, this inevitably makes the GAA more that "just a sporting organisation."  This is someting to be proud of, not something to try and change.  

Fostering a national identity is something that has always been an aim of the GAA, as long as this continues to be done in a non-threatening and inclusive manner why should it pose a problem to anyone?

Gnevin

Quote from: Rav67 on January 15, 2008, 05:42:24 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 05:16:30 PM

The parish structure and the progression of players through teams, the whole community helping out or being part of the club in some way, makes it different than those other sporting administraive bodies that you mention.  Because it is so central in community spirit and cohesion, this inevitably makes the GAA more that "just a sporting organisation."  This is someting to be proud of, not something to try and change. 

Fostering a national identity is something that has always been an aim of the GAA, as long as this continues to be done in a non-threatening and inclusive manner why should it pose a problem to anyone?
Yeah not a problem with that up to the second paragraph  Switch national identity to Irish cultural identity and it's 100% .

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 05:40:36 PM

Something tells me he is what I would call a West Brit
Wow naming calling , That adds a lot to the debate

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 15, 2008, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 05:37:52 PM

Drag us back? All they are saying here is they like it as it is. So do I, and I aint a Nordie.
Which counties voted against removing the ban on police service
Which counties voted against opening Croker ?
No doubt the voted against lifting the ban on other sports?
Where does the loudest objections to making any moves to extend the reach of the gaa come from.?

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Gnevin

Maguire01

Surely there's merit in being progressive rather than strictly conservative?
Things move with the times. In many respects, i'm glad Ireland has moved on into a modern secular society, free from the previous shackles of the Church, for example.  

Surely there's room for progression within the GAA too.  I'm not saying that to do so we have to throw out all the tradition and start from scratch, but there must be room, a need even, to evolve. I don't think such opinions equate to 'selling out' or being labelled a 'West Brit'.

Gnevin

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 15, 2008, 06:10:22 PM
Surely there's merit in being progressive rather than strictly conservative?
Things move with the times. In many respects, i'm glad Ireland has moved on into a modern secular society, free from the previous shackles of the Church, for example. 

Surely there's room for progression within the GAA too.  I'm not saying that to do so we have to throw out all the tradition and start from scratch, but there must be room, a need even, to evolve. I don't think such opinions equate to 'selling out' or being labelled a 'West Brit'.
What he said!