Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Its daft though on both parts... Not one of the politicians would not respect another countries' national anthem so why do it here?? I wouldn't stand to today's joke but fair fucks to Martin
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

give her dixie

I was listening to the radio today and I found out there are several poppies of different shapes and colours to remember different aspects of the wars. I don't know if I can remember them all, but here goes:

Red poppy, the one we see the most

White poppy as a symbol of peace and to remember all who died in wars

Blue poppy, to remember the animals who died in wars, and to campaign against the use of animals in wars

Purple poppy, to remember the animals who died in wars

Black poppy, to remember blacks and Asian's who fought in the wars

Red poppy without a leaf is used in Scotland to remember their war dead

Are there any more out there used to remember the wars and the dead?

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

armaghniac

Red poppy, used to coat trail taigs.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: give her dixie on November 11, 2015, 11:11:16 PM
Are there any more out there used to remember the wars and the dead?
I wear the invisible poppy myself, where I choose to not remember any wars; and if anything I recall the British military actions here and then get angry for a bit.

Rossfan

Let us all remember those who suffered and died so that we can be Irish citizens and have Irish passports.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rrhf

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on November 11, 2015, 11:59:59 PM
Let us all remember those who suffered and died so that we can be Irish citizens and have Irish passports.

then give it all away to the EU. Pearse would be proud.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Hardy

Pearse was cosying up to Germany a few generations before the EU was ever heard of.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on November 12, 2015, 02:40:53 PM
Pearse was cosying up to Germany a few generations before the EU was ever heard of.
Hardly surprising given the circumstances. Tone was cosying up to France. O Neill was cosying up to Spain. The Great Game works like that.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2015, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 12, 2015, 02:40:53 PM
Hardly surprising given the circumstances. Tone was cosying up to France. O Neill was cosying up to Spain. The Great Game works like that.

I didn't say it was surprising. I was referring to that idiot's choice of Pearse as the example to invoke to disparage the idea of dealing with European powers.

Rossfan

Am I correct in thinking only Albania and North Korea now live in isolationist bubbles pretending no other Countries exist?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

I try very hard to put aside my upbringing and look on the poppy as an act of remembrance, with mixed results. Every time I get to the point were I say to myself, the problem is mine it is not political we get something like yesterday were Unionist politicians can't help themselves, they just have to show us who's boss. Then you listen to the vitriol on Nolan and the one sided narrative of the troubles and you think to yourself this place can never be inclusive. One contributor on Nolan to day just about stopped herself from telling us to all go down south. And the SDLP think they can make NI work?

Orior

Frostbit Boy

TUV's Sammy Morrison
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 12, 2015, 03:41:28 PM
I try very hard to put aside my upbringing and look on the poppy as an act of remembrance, with mixed results. Every time I get to the point were I say to myself, the problem is mine it is not political we get something like yesterday were Unionist politicians can't help themselves, they just have to show us who's boss. Then you listen to the vitriol on Nolan and the one sided narrative of the troubles and you think to yourself this place can never be inclusive. One contributor on Nolan to day just about stopped herself from telling us to all go down south. And the SDLP think they can make NI work?

I was listening to this this morning. (Is double this grammatically correct?) She didn't stop herself, she said it.
Testing Accessibility