Coaching

Started by finbar o tool, November 09, 2018, 05:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finbar o tool

Starting this thread as there seems to be a very poor turn out to any coach education courses in this county, from the hurling side anyway, not sure about the football side of things?
I feel it's something we need to embrace and improve big time in Laois.
There was an award 1 hurling course organised for October but had to be postponed due to lack of numbers, and that wasnt the first time it happened.

Feel free to share articles or opinions or any upcoming courses on coaching here....
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Keyser Söze

Some of the coaching courses involve a serious time commitment. It's very difficult to get fellas to give this time. On top of the time they are already giving to the club.

I think the only way forward is to try get one or two fellas in every club up to tutor level (or as close as possible). Let them bring info & informal courses back to their clubs. Give me practical fellas capable of learning on the job from others in their own club over paper coaches.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

finbar o tool

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 11, 2018, 11:59:56 PM
Some of the coaching courses involve a serious time commitment. It's very difficult to get fellas to give this time. On top of the time they are already giving to the club.

I think the only way forward is to try get one or two fellas in every club up to tutor level (or as close as possible). Let them bring info & informal courses back to their clubs. Give me practical fellas capable of learning on the job from others in their own club over paper coaches.

And therein lies the problem.
Paper coaches? Its about being open minded and open to learn, and better yourself. too many lads out there think they know it all and think they will learn nothing new. Its about moving with the times! Lads would give it time if they realised how important it is. Also, courses in general, are held in the winter, away from the busiest time for coaches and not very time consuming.
Also, great idea for a few lads to get to "tutor level", but even if every club had a few of these, the other coaches would need to spend time going to these courses too, formal or informal!

TheGiantSquid

Are these coaching courses free of charge or expensive? Maybe some lads are put off by high pricing as in other counties. What is the breakdown of these costs?

clonadmad

Quote from: TheGiantSquid on November 13, 2018, 12:55:23 AM
Are these coaching courses free of charge or expensive? Maybe some lads are put off by high pricing as in other counties. What is the breakdown of these costs?

Any club that I know will reimburse the course costs

SpeculativeEffort

Where are these courses advertised or promoted? Id be interested but never hear of any courses that are being run?

finbar o tool

Clubs would always be notified, secretary or coaching coordinator or both usually. it would be on social media, Laois Gaa twitter/facebook etc. The website should be utilised better for this too but we all know the webite is fairly poor! Speak to Andrew Kavanagh direct either and he would be able to let you know the plan for the next couple of months.

finbar o tool

On the cost side of things i think the foundation is €10, award 1 is usually €40/€50, and i think the award 2 is €150, but definitely speak to your club as doing these courses will benefit the club too! Some clubs agree to cover half some cover the full cost. Its also supposed to be essential criteria now, at least 1 award 1 qualified coach with each team. I know most if not all clubs wouldn't meet that yet but it's definitely what we should be aiming for.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: finbar o tool on November 12, 2018, 08:31:56 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 11, 2018, 11:59:56 PM

And therein lies the problem.
Paper coaches? Its about being open minded and open to learn, and better yourself. too many lads out there think they know it all and think they will learn nothing new. Its about moving with the times! Lads would give it time if they realised how important it is. Also, courses in general, are held in the winter, away from the busiest time for coaches and not very time consuming.
Also, great idea for a few lads to get to "tutor level", but even if every club had a few of these, the other coaches would need to spend time going to these courses too, formal or informal!

Bit of a chip there?
Seems like an attempt at getting as many buzz words into your post as possible.
Clubs are always going to struggle to get a significant number of people to commit to coaching courses. People are incredibly busy. There are people in every club whom others can learn from.

I never suggested I knew it all, or wouldn't learn anything from courses. I suggested a way for clubs to make most use of those who do attend.

finbar o tool

What buzz words?!  ;D
No chip, but its comments like that from people who've never been to a workshop or course that puts other people off!
And i agreed with you, be great to have the equivalent of a GDA in every club like Dublin have! But thats not realistic here.

clonadmad

Quote from: finbar o tool on November 19, 2018, 06:26:38 PM
What buzz words?!  ;D
No chip, but its comments like that from people who've never been to a workshop or course that puts other people off!
And i agreed with you, be great to have the equivalent of a GDA in every club like Dublin have! But thats not realistic here.

Every club in Dublin funds half the GDA wages.

Could 2/3 clubs here band together and do similar,it's being done in other counties

Helix

Quote from: clonadmad on November 19, 2018, 06:32:51 PM
What buzz words?!  ;D

Every club in Dublin funds half the GDA wages.

Could 2/3 clubs here band together and do similar,it's being done in other counties

Would be great to see happen. Great also to see Zoom going back to these parish leagues. If a club had a lad like him in every club we'd be in a good place!

Also regarding coaching some of the sessions/seminars done with Laois GAA over year some were recorded on video yet no access to video afterwards. Anyone know of possible for access. Some good seminars over year that would be handy to have.  Cathal Barrett done one on fitness with the ball, Donal O'Grady done one on forward play I think and Martin Fogarty done 1 or 2 that I've attended. These I'm nearly certain we're recoreded in Heywood by Laois GAA or someone like Brophy videography in Portlaoise. That's  just the hurling.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Keyser Söze

What buzz words?!  ;D

Where did I suggest getting a GDA (full time employee) in every club? And your ability to someone know what courses I have or haven't done really impresses me. That psychic coaching course you did worked a treat!

finbar o tool

Id say im right though keyser?!  ;)
You suggested someone at "tutor level", which is pretty much a GDA, which is why i said, the equivalent of...
If those sessions were recorded it would be great to upload them to a YouTube channel or something but that wont happen unfortunately! There is some very good resources online though to be fair. Twitter is a good place to start.
Also i think if 2/3 clubs came together and said lets get an award 1 course going between us, say 4/5/6 people from each club, Andrew Kavanagh would organise/facilitate it. The only issue at the minute is lack of interest as far as i know.
Dublin have the resources structures and numbers to have that set up but were a bit away from that yet unfortunately.
Speaking of GDAs, we have a new one in Laois, Jason 'something'? from Tipp. Think hes a duel coach.

At a basic level I suppose its just encouraging people in your club to do a course like the foundation one, its getting people involved and giving them a bit of confidence to take on a job rather than grabbing a parent and throwing them into it blind. They are more likely to stay involved. And if its one thing wanted in every club its more coaches/volunteers!

Keyser Söze

You are incorrect Tool. Wink away. I assume you are at least Award 3 and travel the length and breath of the country of the country 5 nights a week up-skilling yourself. Have you spent a year with the All Blacks immersing yourself in their culture of excellence? Spent a stint swimming with dolphins to understand alternative communication approaches?

And what I said was "up to Tutor level (or as close as possible)".
Stop preaching and reading selectively.

The ideal is that every coach with every team in every club has completed every course.
The reality is that coaches may have to learn on the job and learn from others within their own club. Heaven forbid.