Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

sekibanki

Quote from: LaurelEye on May 16, 2019, 02:50:01 AM

"Curtain-raiser to an All-Ireland quarter-final".

Out of sight, out of mind, really.

The EFL playoffs the last couple of nights show how to do a second-tier championship with drama.
If we hold the AI senior final third sunday in September, there shouldn't be a problem doing an Intermediate final the Sunday before in one of the other massive stadiums the GAA have.

Rossfan

What makes an Intermediate club final or those English soccer play offs is the prize on offer i.e Promotion to the next grade.
Current proposals for a stand alone "tier 2" are in effect Tommy Murphy take 2 - with a bit of pre thinking this time rather than the back of Seán Kelly's envelope.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

I'm amazed at how many people try to compare these proposals with the club tiered system or, now, the EFL Championship.

The major difference is that all 32 counties have for over a hundred years been allowed to play in this current format. Half of them are now, in a roundabout way, being relegated from this structure when they haven't warranted relegation because no relegation has ever existed.

If the stakeholders from these counties want to go down this road then that's fair enough, I think they should be allowed to, once they all have their say; players, supporters etc.

But the whole "it works at club level" bit is irrelevant for me as you're not comparing like with like.

magpie seanie

It's going to happen. All the D3 and D4 counties need to get promoted or do well in their province if they want to be at the top table. For all the talk of equal promotion of a tier 2 competition - it won't happen. Maybe for the first year or two but it will fade thereafter.

Will be interesting to see how/when the poaching of players from the have nots to the haves kicks in.

sekibanki

Quote from: Rossfan on May 16, 2019, 09:06:46 AM
What makes an Intermediate club final or those English soccer play offs is the prize on offer i.e Promotion to the next grade.
Current proposals for a stand alone "tier 2" are in effect Tommy Murphy take 2 - with a bit of pre thinking this time rather than the back of Seán Kelly's envelope.
It's more the idea of holding it on a weekend or day by itself, rather than the curtain raiser to an AI Senior final (in the minor slot) which I was getting at. Needs to be an event in its own right. With a prize at the end, like you say.

Keyser soze

To be realistic these finals will be played on a wet friday evening in Ballymcnowhere in front to the players families and some lad with an iphone in case there's a row for SM likes.

johnnycool

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 16, 2019, 09:25:04 AM
I'm amazed at how many people try to compare these proposals with the club tiered system or, now, the EFL Championship.

The major difference is that all 32 counties have for over a hundred years been allowed to play in this current format. Half of them are now, in a roundabout way, being relegated from this structure when they haven't warranted relegation because no relegation has ever existed.

If the stakeholders from these counties want to go down this road then that's fair enough, I think they should be allowed to, once they all have their say; players, supporters etc.

But the whole "it works at club level" bit is irrelevant for me as you're not comparing like with like.

That horse has already bolted when a lot of these same counties voted for the tiering in the hurling championship.

They'd be hypocrites to then not vote for tiering in the football.

But learn lessons from where hurling went wrong and ensure it's hard written into the competition that the finals are played on the AI semi-final days.

The tiering in the hurling was brilliant until they moved us out of Croke Park on a big occasion

Rossfan

All the National Finals of all tiers and none should be played in Croke Park.
And admission prices should be reduced to encourage people to attend.
€25 for Ring/Rackard/Meagher Finals is appalling and results in around 3k attendances annually.
Now if it was €10 adults and 1€ kids....

five points

That horse has already bolted when a lot of these same counties voted for the tiering in the hurling championship.

They'd be hypocrites to then not vote for tiering in the football.

Hypocrites? Hardly. Hurling has always had tiers, because of the vast gulfs in standards between the best half dozen or so, the next half dozen and so on, that would turn almost all games between counties in different grades to cricket score debacles. Football has never had that problem.

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on May 16, 2019, 10:41:51 AM
All the National Finals of all tiers and none should be played in Croke Park.
And admission prices should be reduced to encourage people to attend.
€25 for Ring/Rackard/Meagher Finals is appalling and results in around 3k attendances annually.
Now if it was €10 adults and 1€ kids....

The attraction of playing a game in an almost-deserted Croke Park escapes me.

And, for almost all counties, the admission price into Croke Park is only part of the cost of attending. It would cost me at least €40 to travel to a Ring/Rackard/Meagher Final in Croke Park even if there was free admission.

Keyser soze

This debate is strikingly similar to the Brexit fiasco.

A number of strident voices whipping up support for an idea as a panacea to perceived inadequacies in the GAA with absolutely no consideration of what the long term consequences will be or even any acknowledgement that there might be negatives associated with the idea.

five points

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 16, 2019, 11:24:27 AM
This debate is strikingly similar to the Brexit fiasco.

A number of strident voices whipping up support for an idea as a panacea to perceived inadequacies in the GAA with absolutely no consideration of what the long term consequences will be or even any acknowledgement that there might be negatives associated with the idea.
The supposed panacea being Brexit itself, or EU membership?  :)

Rossfan

A number of strident voices 
GAA Central Council.?
Managers and Players from the weaker Counties?

Keyser soze

Quote from: Rossfan on May 16, 2019, 12:57:05 PM

A number of strident voices 
GAA Central Council.?
Managers and Players from the weaker Counties?

No. Those are the whipped up people.

Rossfan

But you O knowledgeable one..... know best.