El Classico - Breffni Park, Saturday 18th

Started by Itchy, May 14, 2019, 09:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

I have a feeling Cavan could take this.

Itchy

Stolen from Hoganstand. Since they steal most of their articles from elsewhere I feel good about posting it here...

Cavan and Monaghan have been fierce championship rivals since contesting a contentious first Ulster SFC final in County Meath in 1888.

That maiden decider, some 131 years ago, was staged during a downpour in Bryanstown, just outside Drogheda in south Meath, as there were no provincial councils at the time. Central Council initially fixed it for Dundalk, but it was moved following a successful appeal by the Cavan County Committee.

Their issue was that playing the game at Dundalk Young Irelands' pitch offered an unfair advantage to Monaghan, who were represented by Inniskeen Henry Grattans, based only eight miles away from the County Louth venue. Cavan, meanwhile, represented by Maghera Mac Finns, would have had to travel 40 miles (no minor undertaking at the time) so they sought to have the decider moved to a venue with better rail links.

The initial game, which was part of a novel provincial final double-bill, preceded as it was by Louth's [Dundalk Young Irelands] comfortable win over Meath [Dowdstown] in the Leinster final, on August 19th, finished in a 0-2 apiece draw. At the time, teams could field anything from 14 to 21 players but, as they only received late notice of the change of venue, Monaghan turned up with only 15 men, so Cavan had to leave six of their men out. Cavan wished to play extra time but Monaghan refused.

The replay took place at the same venue on September 9th and this time Monaghan prevailed – but only after Cavan had been initially awarded the game! Inniskeen – who missed their train from Dundalk to Drogheda and had to hire brakes (long carts with seats) were late to arrive at the home of Drogheda Gaelics and MacFinns were awarded the spoils.

There was no Twitter or WhatsApp back then so a carrier pigeon was dispatched to Cavan telling the locals that they had won, but the game was played after the Grattans belatedly showed up and Monaghan came out on top.

There were rumours and counter-rumours of shenanigans. It was the beginning of a long, intense rivalry that will be renewed when the Breffni County and their Farney counterparts go head to head again on Saturday night.

five points

Quote from: larryin89 on May 14, 2019, 05:41:51 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 14, 2019, 03:40:10 PM
No more than ourselves when Cavan were kingpins the population was up around 90,000.

There were Less people living in Cavan when they last won an all Ireland than there is today according to whatever I looked up there

Fewer commuting Dubs in 1952 though.

larryin89

Quote from: five points on May 15, 2019, 10:40:15 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 14, 2019, 05:41:51 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 14, 2019, 03:40:10 PM
No more than ourselves when Cavan were kingpins the population was up around 90,000.

There were Less people living in Cavan when they last won an all Ireland than there is today according to whatever I looked up there

Fewer commuting Dubs in 1952 though.

True enough
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Main Street

This is Cavan's best chance to finally beat Monaghan at championship level in modern times.
If I were a cavan man, I'd stake the ford cortina (bald tyres and all) on the outcome.

Schkite

Even allowing for the absences we'd still be fielding a better side than Cavan imo - but they're due a win against us, are at home, and we must be down to our 4th/5th choice midfielders, at best. Cavan will certainly be the stronger side in that area, and if they dominate there then you never know.

We have the firepower to punish Cavan up top and McManus loves playing them, but if they're starved of supply then it's no use. It'd be a good time for one or both of McCarthy/McCarron to have a big game in Ulster, and while I wouldn't expect him to start, O'Hanlon could have a lively cameo from the bench. With the normal midfield missing, we'll need to put in a mountain of work around the middle, so the likes of O'Connell, Kelly, Malone etc. will be key.

No matter what stages the teams are at, these derby games are always tight to the wire so I'd be expecting the same here.

mrdeeds

Team v Monaghan
1. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
2. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
3. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
4. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
5. Gerard Smith (Lavey)
6. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
7. Conor Rehill (Crosserlough)
8. Conor Brady (Gowna)
9. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
10. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
11. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)
12. Niall Murray (Cavan Gaels)
13. Oisin Kiernan (Castlerahan)
14. Thomas Galligan (Lacken)
15. Conor Madden (Gowna)

Great to see Oisin back after his cancer battle.

Westside

Quote from: Main Street on May 15, 2019, 12:12:16 PM
This is Cavan's best chance to finally beat Monaghan at championship level in modern times.
If I were a cavan man, I'd stake the ford cortina (bald tyres and all) on the outcome.

To be fair, Cavan's best chance was 2015 when they bested Monaghan for most of the game and found themselves 5 points up with 10 minutes to go...

Cavan have shown very little to suggest that we can win this game. Trying to beat a Division 1 side in the Ulster Championship without a good freetaker, or even a settled freetaker at this point, is extremely difficult.
If rumours about Gearoid playing full forward and McVeety playing around the middle are true then the Cavan management are tying themselves in knots trying to be cute.

Jayop

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 17, 2019, 01:54:39 PM
Team v Monaghan
1. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
2. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
3. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
4. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
5. Gerard Smith (Lavey)
6. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
7. Conor Rehill (Crosserlough)
8. Conor Brady (Gowna)
9. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
10. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
11. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)
12. Niall Murray (Cavan Gaels)
13. Oisin Kiernan (Castlerahan)
14. Thomas Galligan (Lacken)
15. Conor Madden (Gowna)

Great to see Oisin back after his cancer battle.

Brilliant! I was totally oblivious to his story until I heard his interview on the GAA hour. I have to say he's an inspirational lad to go through what he did in the manner he did it.

Cunny Funt

Can someone fill me in on what first choice players Monaghan will be missing for this game?  Looks to be a good balance to that Cavan team with arguably their best players played in core positions in the team.

Main Street

Quote from: Westside on May 17, 2019, 04:33:16 PM

To be fair, Cavan's best chance was 2015 when they bested Monaghan for most of the game and found themselves 5 points up with 10 minutes to go...

:D
To be fair, Cavan were 4 points up with 20 minutes to play and ran out of puff.
With 10 minutes to go the scores were level, then a little piece of McManus magic happened.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Main Street on May 17, 2019, 07:20:38 PM

With 10 minutes to go the scores were level, then a little piece of McManus magic happened.

Monaghan won that because they had a better bench and Martin Reilly got a ridiculous black card that was overturned after.

Main Street

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 17, 2019, 07:45:10 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 17, 2019, 07:20:38 PM

Monaghan won that because they had a better bench and Martin Reilly got a ridiculous black card that was overturned after.
To be fair, I'm just correcting the facts of what happened, not the opinions.

mrdeeds

Was it not Walshe point that won it? That's not an opinion.

Itchy

Are monaghan going to name a team or are they struggling to find 15 fit players?