Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UppaSaffs

Dunloy didn't hold back the minors. Rules and regulations meant they couldn't play so close to the minor game on the Saturday.

Madness but hey ho. Is what it is

Jonkunlon

I believe the winners of this 'Championship' played one single league game at this age group. The beaten finalists, two. We lose the greatest proportion of players during the progression from juvenile hurling into senior. U19 championship does little to address the problem. U21 was treated with similar disdain.

johnnycool

Quote from: UppaSaffs on October 22, 2023, 04:34:54 PMDunloy didn't hold back the minors. Rules and regulations meant they couldn't play so close to the minor game on the Saturday.

Madness but hey ho. Is what it is

What rules are they?

Is there a rule in Antrim preventing kids from playing two days in a row?

Not having a go, genuinely interested to find out.

Hectic

U19 looks to have been a pretty complete championship unless you have a preference for group stages as well.

But all games from quarter final through seem to have been completed.

Appreciate Dunloy didn't play their minors - would many of them have started? In my head I am thinking if missing more senior players would have been a bigger problem.  But they were well beaten in the semi final.

Maybe the lack of at least one from Dunloy, Cushendall or Loughgeil in the final is what devalues the competition in the eyes of some? 

Can't be a competition if one of them didn't win😂

UppaSaffs

Quote from: Hectic on October 23, 2023, 12:04:30 PMU19 looks to have been a pretty complete championship unless you have a preference for group stages as well.

Appreciate Dunloy didn't play their minors - would many of them have started? In my head I am thinking if missing more senior players would have been a bigger problem.  But they were well beaten in the semi final.

Maybe the lack of at least one from Dunloy, Cushendall or Loughgeil in the final is what devalues the competition in the eyes of some? 

They had 6 starters missing from the u19 team. Glenariffe/Glenravel would probably have been too strong but it would have been a closer contest.

UppaSaffs

It's not that they didn't play their u17s, they actually couldn't. Rules and regulations prohibited them playing in championship of separate age groups in same week

johnnycool

Quote from: UppaSaffs on October 23, 2023, 01:17:45 PMIt's not that they didn't play their u17s, they actually couldn't. Rules and regulations prohibited them playing in championship of separate age groups in same week

Are these rules Antrim byelaws?

I don't think there's anything in the official guide in relation to this.

imtommygunn

Are these not the same rules that impacted the ulster u20 football last year where Derry lost out on I think 2 players but down took the hit and played them?

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 23, 2023, 03:13:45 PMAre these not the same rules that impacted the ulster u20 football last year where Derry lost out on I think 2 players but down took the hit and played them?

No, that was a rule that if you played IC Senior championship you couldn't play U20 IC championship.

It impacted a few Cork and Limerick hurlers over the last few years.

I don't believe that rule is transferrable to the club championships unless Antrim have adopted them as bye laws which is their right to do so if they want.

Jonkunlon

Quote from: Hectic on October 23, 2023, 12:04:30 PMU19 looks to have been a pretty complete championship unless you have a preference for group stages as well.

It's great for the local game to have fresh competition. Beneficial to have a greater variety of clubs competing. Even more so when it is a smaller club doing so.

The age group has always been devalued as far back as I can remember.

UppaSaffs

Quote from: johnnycool on October 23, 2023, 03:46:03 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 23, 2023, 03:13:45 PMAre these not the same rules that impacted the ulster u20 football last year where Derry lost out on I think 2 players but down took the hit and played them?

No, that was a rule that if you played IC Senior championship you couldn't play U20 IC championship.

I don't believe that rule is transferrable to the club championships unless Antrim have adopted them as bye laws which is their right to do so if they want.

It is fact. I'm 100% certain of this. I know the Dunloy lads and management, was at the game and asked the question. Regulations stopped them from playing both competitions in the same week. They played in the earlier round against St Paul's.

Delgany 2nds

Quote from: johnnycool on October 23, 2023, 03:46:03 PM

The only rule that I'm aware off , is an u17 can't play Senior.
Under 19
- Club - Be Under 19 years and Over 15 years

Saffrongael

Tony McGrath of Dunloy RIP

I can still see that equalising point against Rossa in Loughgiel in the drawn county final in 1990

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

Ah that's very sad - can't have been that old either.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 30, 2023, 03:49:21 PMAh that's very sad - can't have been that old either.

Would he even be 60?

Very sad news that, marked him a few times in my younger days, hard but fair, fine hurler .