Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2007, 08:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No way ref

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

No way ref

Paul Grimley and Mc Elkennon, no recession in monaghan :o :P

Schkite

Just home there from Emyvale after seeing a classic, as Clontibret overcame Blayney by 1-18 to 1-16 AET after 2 games of football couldn't separate the teams. Real end to end stuff with some cracking scores, from the second half on it was a real thriller and really could have went either way. We would have to address however our uncanny knack of giving away big leads, the second time we did it tonight. Almost gave away a 10 pt lead against Truagh, and tonight after going up 1-10 to 0-5 Blayney scored 1-5 without reply to draw it level again. In the end though, the big men stood up to the plate, Dessie + JP Mone and Vinny Corey in particular closing the game out superbly and showing great leadership. Fair play to Blayney, they showed great fight after going down quite a bit at the start of the second half, and a few of their younger boys really caused problems for us. Hopefully we will be the better for coming out of such a tight game.

Magheracloone up next in a weeks time for a spot in the final, while Latton meet Scotstown on Sunday in the other semi.

donelli

Clontibret win tonight against Maghreacloone by 10pts after being behind at half time.
must be odds on now for the title

Schkite

Quote from: donelli on September 12, 2009, 10:18:18 PM
Clontibret win tonight against Maghreacloone by 10pts after being behind at half time.
must be odds on now for the title

Only 7 points actually donelli, but a good win nevertheless!  ;D

Despite being down at HT I always had confidence in the boys to do it, and an excellent 2nd half ensured it, Magheracloone rarely got a sniff of the goal, only scoring 2 points to our 1-8 in that time. Midfield was superb, John Golden especially, and a few of the backs were on top form whenever the ball did come their way. We still wasted a few chances to kill the game off but McManus' cooly-taken goal settled matters. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't confident of our chances, but Latton are always a tough team and beat us already this year, so it'll be tough and should be a good game in 2 weeks time. (Can't see Scotstown troubling Latton tomorrow)

thebandit

I was at that game as well, thought it was a poor enough game. John Golden was poor in the first 15 minutes as an orthodox wing forward and excellent when he went back as a 3rd midfielder, that was the biggest difference. Manzie got away from his man 4/5 times in the first 45 minutes, and made it count each time. Colin Duffy and Darach Mooney were solid as well. Even at half time I reckoned there was more scope for improvement in Clontibret (and more on the bench as well), but I didn't think the 2nd half would be so emphatic.

Couldn't understand Magheracloone's tactics, Tommy was too far from goal and Damien wasn't influential. James Ward had a good first half, his brother (Peter?) was quite good as well.

Schkite

Aye I'd say it wasn't the best of a game for the neutral, certainly the second half lacked any atmosphere. Then again any game would seem poor after the game against Blayney! Colin Duffy is having some year, only a couple of years since he played C football and now you wouldn't drop him for anyone. Also thought Collie Greenan was good, scored a point and set up the 1st goal from defence, another young lad having a good year. Didn't understand at first why he was switched onto Tommy, but clearly he wasn't going to track back when Greenan attacked and that's how he did the damage in that period.

The way Magheracloone were lined out puzzled me aswell, you'd think they'd put their all-star corner-forward in the corner! Tommy took his penalty very well but not enough from open play, surely he'd have done more damage closer in.

downtown

Any of ya's know where the county final is in today? Who do ya's fancy?

Schkite

Quote from: downtown on September 27, 2009, 11:36:37 AM
Any of ya's know where the county final is in today? Who do ya's fancy?

In Clones, senior final starts at 3.45.

Schkite

Great win for us today, beating Latton by 2-13 to 0-9. I'd have been confident enough of the lads doing the job but a 10 point win was beyond anyone's expectations I would've thought. The charge was again led by Conor McManus who turned in another man of the match performance, scoring 1-9 with the goal being a superb individual effort, continuing his hot streak and no marker has been able to keep near him recently. Rodney Gorman scored the other goal and turned in an excellent performance himself, working hard throughout and getting a couple of fine points too. Vinny Corey also led by example at midfield and the young defensive duo of Colum Greenan and Colin Duffy had solid games yet again. Great performances all round but those would be my pick.

We were 4 points to 1 down very early on but recovered to lead 2-6 to 0-5 at the break. The game very much went dead in the second half with Latton posing little attacking threat and we were going through the motions, another 3 goal chances going to waste. Latton just didn't play to their ability on the day and of course Eoin Lennon was a big miss through injury, only coming on very late in the game. Bigger challenges lie ahead with our next game being against the Tyrone champions.

sammymaguire

well done Clontibret on getting back to the summit of Monaghan football, I might have a little fella playing in their colours in a few years time  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Schkite

Quote from: sammymaguire on September 28, 2009, 09:23:19 AM
well done Clontibret on getting back to the summit of Monaghan football, I might have a little fella playing in their colours in a few years time  :-\

No better place to ply your trade sammy!  ;)

sammymaguire

Quote from: Schkite on September 28, 2009, 10:08:56 AM

not me, I'm past it but debating whether I should do the half hour drive to Fermanagh to let him play for my own club or just 5 minutes to the yellow-bellies  ??? but if he is gonna play for any club in Monaghan, I suppose Clontibret seem as good as any at the min but it'll be 10-15 years before he reaches the senior panel anyway and at that stage, they might be playing junior football  :o  :o  :o
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Schkite

Quote from: sammymaguire on September 28, 2009, 10:16:17 AM
Quote from: Schkite on September 28, 2009, 10:08:56 AM

not me, I'm past it but debating whether I should do the half hour drive to Fermanagh to let him play for my own club or just 5 minutes to the yellow-bellies  ??? but if he is gonna play for any club in Monaghan, I suppose Clontibret seem as good as any at the min but it'll be 10-15 years before he reaches the senior panel anyway and at that stage, they might be playing junior football  :o  :o  :o

Ah no! Sure I suppose none of us can predict the future and we're only a small rural club, but there's alot of work being put in to ensure the future of the club at Senior level. Might not be at the top in juvenile level but will continue to be in Senior imo with the set-up that's there now, great club for bringing young players through and developing them well!  ;) Are you in the Clontibret area then or just outside?