EURO 2012

Started by CCCP1, April 26, 2012, 07:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: screenexile on June 12, 2012, 10:50:01 AM
Trap has basically said today that he won't give McClean a run out when the pressure is on because he is too young. FFS!! If he thinks that then what in God's name is he doing over there? What possible reason is there to take him.

Is it solely because of the media backlash he would have received?

I think McClean is probably the Irish player who has had the best season of all of them. He should be playing an important role and dropping McGeady would have the added bonus of giving him a kick up the hole as well!

For the life of me I still cannot understand why McGeady is so easily picked upon by the fans / pundits as  a scapegoat. From what I saw of him last Sunday he did fine and was always shadowed by at least 2 Croatians ........... delivered a cracking cross for the goal and now the mob (apologies Screenexile) are baying for his dropping. Am I losing my marbles or what?

As for Damien Duff I still cannot see how he was rated so well last Sunday.

Declan

Thanks to a picture that showed him, eh, getting friendly with a topless Croatian fan in Poznan, Eamon Keegan from Kildare is now Ireland's most famous football fan. We caught up with him to find out how it all came about.

Until sometime a little after midnight last night, Eamon Keegan from Sallins in Kildare was just an ordinary punter amongst the thousands and thousands of Irish fans having a blast at the Euros over in Poland.

That was until a fairly innocent picture showing Eamon nuzzling the bosom of a friendly female Croatian fan starting doing the rounds on Twitter and suddenly Eamon was commanding more attention than anything to do with how Trap plans to deal with the threat of the World Champions this Thursday.

With nearly 7,000 hits and well over 300 Facebook shares in a matter of hours on the story on JOE this morning, we figured that Irish people wanted to find out a little more about our new Don Juan and the methods he used to woo the opposition supporters. With a little help from his brother Killian on Twitter, we got in touch.

"Jaysus, he (Killian) isn't telling everyone everything is he?" Eamon asked us light-heartedly down the line from Poland.

Having promised that Killian had remained tight-lipped, Eamon told us how it all came about.

"We were all in Poznan, with all the Irish fans at the game and these two Croatian girls walked through and everyone started singing 'Get your t*ts out for the lads' and they actually did.

"We all started jumping into pictures with them and next thing, I don't know... I had a few beers on the day but it was all a bit of craic, I didn't think they'd end up on the internet!"

In the smartphone age there is little that doesn't actually end up on the internet, but Eamon, despite being a little red-faced, was taking it all in his stride.

"(I'm) slightly embarrassed obviously, but it was all a bit of craic at the end of the day."

Although the 'embrace' with his Croat cailĂ­n took place during the game on Sunday, Eamon didn't know that he had become an internet sensation until the early hours of this morning, when a friend called to tell him.

"Last night at about 1 o clock Polish time, one of the lads rang me and he said 'You're trending on Twitter, there's a picture of you doing this'. I said there was no way it could be because no one back home would have known, but then it hit me and I was thinking 'Jaysus my ma's gonna kill me'."

Eamon was glad to report that his mother has already been in touch and although she was "a bit mortified" she urged him not to worry about it because it would all blow over quickly.

Or maybe not. Ireland defender Sean St. Ledger is one of the many who has seen the picture and has since started a Twitter campaign to turn Eamon into a Twitter sensation. Bizarrely, Jay from Geordie Shore has also been in contact.

What does he make of his new found celebrity friends?

"It's fairly unbelievable that the man who scored for Ireland at the European Championships is saying I'm a legend."

Thankfully for Eamon, he is currently unattached, so he hasn't devastated any poor woman back at home, although we dare say there will be a few ladies in touch having seen what he's capable of.

Many in Eamon's position could be forgiven for going into hiding for a few days, but to his immense credit, he's taking his new found fame in good heart and even sent out a self deprecating tweet earlier today.

Eamon and his mates are based in Warsaw for the tournament and haven't even booked a return flight home yet.

They plan to enjoy the rest of their time out east and on the back of the fame and hero worship the photo is bound to generate, we'd wager he won't have to buy another drink for himself for the rest of the trip.

thewobbler

It's amazing how much shite is being talked about a Sunderland winger on here. He's not Jesus Christ, he's not the second coming. He's James McClean and he's a useful player but so are the two lads who are keeping him out.

Clown

McGeady is being targetted for abuse because he plays in the same position as McClean. Simple as that, Duff had a similar, if not worse game, on Sunday night and isnt coming in for any stick
Yes McClean should have been given a go, but the fans are hyping him up way too much
McGeady was our top assist maker in the qualifiers, and got another on Sunday night. Far from the worst player in Green
Bilic got his tactics spot on though and had 2 men on Duff and McGeady at all times though to stop the supply to the strikers, when you stop the wingers like this it nullifies Traps system

magpie seanie

Quote from: thewobbler on June 12, 2012, 01:48:34 PM
It's amazing how much shite is being talked about a Sunderland winger on here. He's not Jesus Christ, he's not the second coming. He's James McClean and he's a useful player but so are the two lads who are keeping him out.

I think that's a bit harsh. Personally don't think McGeady or Hunt (and certainly not Cox) are as consistently good as McClean on the left. McGeady deserves to start cos if he hits a good night he is very good but if he's on a 'mare its obvious and he needs to be taken off. Hunt at his peak with Reading in the EPL (a few years ago now) played to a similar standard as McClean did this season for Sunderland. The young lad deserves his chance, especially when we have to win or get a goal. He defends better than McGeady too and lets face it, there'll be a lot of that in the next game or two.

fitzroyalty

You pick players on form, or at least you should do, at this level. No one is bigging McClean up so I dunno why you are getting so hysterical. He has arguably had the best season out of any of the squad, playing at high level in the EPL; Cox being put on ahead of him was f**king scandalous.

J OGorman

Quote from: fitzroyalty on June 12, 2012, 02:18:19 PM
You pick players on form, or at least you should do, at this level. No one is bigging McClean up so I dunno why you are getting so hysterical. He has arguably had the best season out of any of the squad, playing at high level in the EPL; Cox being put on ahead of him was f**king scandalous.

exactly.

Its simply a case of: McClean or Cox? McClean.  There is no comparison. Cox is a reserve striker @ WBA. And after the Croatia match McClean or McGeady / Cox? McClean. Nobody is saying he is Messi or the like, but he is the form player who is as laid back a bloke as you'll meet and, if selected, will play with zero fear.  He will give the Spanish something, apart from attack for 90 mins, to think about.

GalwayBayBoy

You could make a good argument that McGeady has been Ireland's best player over the past 12 months and just about their only creative outlet. Unfortunately the Croatians knew this as well and had McGeady shadowed with at least 2 players any time he received the ball in the first half. He didn't have a good game but then again not very many Irish players did.

Bingo

Its hard for the likes of McGeady, Duff and McClean to impress against teams when the team in general will have little ball. The spend so much of their time focusing on their defensive duty. It was clear that Croatia had targetted McGeady as the main danger and he was double teamed.

I don't think Trap will change team too much, Doyle is the one under threat I think but I'd play him before pointy Robbie, as he can play a lone striker better. I'd put another in midfield but its not gonna happen.

I'd be looking to use McClean off the bench, likely the game will be gone at that stage but if they can possibly keep it tight till 65 min or so, throwing him and Walters/Long on will help no end.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on June 12, 2012, 03:34:47 PM
Its hard for the likes of McGeady, Duff and McClean to impress against teams when the team in general will have little ball. The spend so much of their time focusing on their defensive duty. It was clear that Croatia had targetted McGeady as the main danger and he was double teamed.

I don't think Trap will change team too much, Doyle is the one under threat I think but I'd play him before pointy Robbie, as he can play a lone striker better. I'd put another in midfield but its not gonna happen.

I'd be looking to use McClean off the bench, likely the game will be gone at that stage but if they can possibly keep it tight till 65 min or so, throwing him and Walters/Long on will help no end.

Are you serious?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

I say we play 5 at the back, with our fastest, stickiest man marker on Xavi, and another lad on Iniesta. 3 in Midfield, all in the midde of the pitch, Walters and Long up front, and every time we get it kick the bejaysus out of it and tell Walters to 'break up the play' and Long to pick up the breaks. :D

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 12, 2012, 04:05:13 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 12, 2012, 03:34:47 PM

Are you serious?

Serious on if they can keep it tight? Or on the subs?

I don't think they have much options. Walters or Long have proven to be useful off the bench, they'll get into the spanish and be aggressive, unsettle them and maybe get some joy. I can't see it happening any other way. Walters battering them and McClean running at them, picking up the pieces and having a few pot shots.

I'd not be hopeful mind.

Capt Pat

I was about to post on here that this will be a boring draw. Now it is already 2-0 to the Czechs after 5 minutes.

general

Lads how are yas all? Iv one ticket spare for italy game sunday nite, its face value 70 euro, i got it for 100 euro an i want to sell it just to make my money back really. Iv got 2 cat a seats and being used so i got 2 more for friends and only 1 is bein used. If you kno any1 looking or you do, pm me. Realistically ther out but im gona enjoy it bein here!!

Captain Obvious

Cech gives a goal to Greece.