Laois Senior Hurlers 2021

Started by mcwregor, January 28, 2021, 09:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Zooming around on May 24, 2021, 02:02:13 PM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on May 24, 2021, 12:50:47 PM
I didn't think it was all that bad to be honest, given how many are missing.

Positives:
- Roddy King
- Backs worked hard and turned Clare over many times for much of the match. All fell apart in 3rd quarter of the game but much of their scoring was done from out the field which we need to watch. Diarmuid Conway doesn't look out of his depth at inter county and Conor Phelan did well enough at times too.
- At half time we were still in it. Not just on the scoreboard but in general play.
Negatives:
- None of the forwards other than Roddy look like they can score from play. This is a pretty big negative. Urgently need lads back (Cha, Aaron etc.) Noises not good from Cheddar on injuries.
- I'd say we gave away another 1-5 yesterday from overplaying the ball in defence. What is this thing of trying to beat a player one-on-one from the corner back position? It should be the last option. What other county does this successfully? Might be fine if you are playing a division 2 team but not against the Clares, Dublins etc. In general we seem to be over elaborate in moving the ball. I sort of understand it from midfield to set a player in space because we have a total of one forward (Roddy) that can win a ball if it is pucked into him.
- Possession. We win one puckout in 10 from our own or opposition puck outs. Clare created a huge amount of their scoring chances from winning a ball on the ground in the ruck and sending a player into space. We won probably 20% of rucks.

I'll add one more of each.

Positive
Sean Downey is blossoming into a very good full back. A bit raw at times but improving no end.

Negative
Our basic skills. I lost count yesterday of the number of times we "almost" rose the ball. Lifting it but not catching it. Fumbling or being knocked off the ball. This sharpness needs to improve.

Totally agree on both counts. Sean Downey is a super hurler who can hurl anywhere. Doing a great job at the edge of the square as he did last year.

The almost rising the ball is the reason we lose so many winnable balls. Laois were impressive at this last year in the Clare championship match so hopefully it is just sharpness. You only get one go to get it clean off the ground at this level. I would imagine inter county teams drill their 'rucks' extensively.

Giovanni

From my point of view this was really really poor.

While I don't disagree that the performance of a few of the lads was good (Sean Downey and Roddy have been consistently good as has been said) but the overall performance was really poor. We were in it at half time but at that stage Clare had hit about 10 bad wides. Laois had no threat whatsoever and from about 15 minutes the result looked inevitable.

The team has, of course, been decimated with injuries and this has to be taken into account but I don't see any real intent in the team (in the way that Eddie Brennan's team had). We look like we're going out to keep the score down rather than seeing how we can exploit their weaknesses. The forwards look like they can't take a score because they're totally isolated when the ball goes into them.

You have to take account of the injuries but I would be disappointed with the performances overall.

Zooming around

Quote from: Giovanni on May 24, 2021, 07:02:23 PM
From my point of view this was really really poor.

While I don't disagree that the performance of a few of the lads was good (Sean Downey and Roddy have been consistently good as has been said) but the overall performance was really poor. We were in it at half time but at that stage Clare had hit about 10 bad wides. Laois had no threat whatsoever and from about 15 minutes the result looked inevitable.

The team has, of course, been decimated with injuries and this has to be taken into account but I don't see any real intent in the team (in the way that Eddie Brennan's team had). We look like we're going out to keep the score down rather than seeing how we can exploit their weaknesses. The forwards look like they can't take a score because they're totally isolated when the ball goes into them.

You have to take account of the injuries but I would be disappointed with the performances overall.

The fire is gone out of the team too. Very worryingly, we seemed to give up. Remember, we ran a much stronger clare team to a point not so long ago with a very spirited display. Last Sunday was a foregone conclusion from early enough.

burdizzo

A much more encouraging display - best of the year so far. Good to see lads like Lyons, Dunphy, and Mullaney getting back, as well. In the first half, I really reckoned this short passing game wasn't for us, at all, but they got better as it went on. I know Kilkenny weren't full strength, and it was essentially a challenge match, but still... Again, it was a pity we couldn't have kept it under 10 points, and again we had a lot of wides, but at least things aren't as bleak as they looked after the Clare game. Good displays from Downey, Purcell, and even McEvoy did well enough, which is good to see because he has that bit of physicality.

Giovanni

Thought the first 30 minutes was much like what we've seen in all of the games so far. It just looks much too intricate to me. We always look like we're ready to turn over ball.

The second half was much better though, particularly when Lee Cleere and Ryan Mullaney went into the back. There really wasn't much to choose between the teams in that second half - Kilkenny got their scores easier but I think that was more to do with the system of play than the quality of player. If we could get everyone fit, I think we'd have a competitive team. Much more encouraging

redsetanta

Some real positives from Sunday particularly the second half. Picky did well in the half back line, saw a bit more from Scully and in general our defense did very well. One thing that was evident right up until the end was the hooking, blocking and general harassing of the KK players when we didn't have the ball. There's no doubt that some of the players out through injury would make a huge difference but in fairness to those who are there, they are letting no one down and giving 100%. Some misplaced passes and errors were very frustrating and more often than not were punished.
KK were not at full strength but any lad given a jersey won't be getting another one if he doesn't perform for Coady so over all a good performance.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

LOVEGAA

Probably their best display this year.  More fight in them than any other game.

Accuracy is a big problem at the minute, but on a positive note Sean Downey gave an excellent display

Laois man

His David Dooley gone to play Rugby fulltime? Best of luck to him if thats true.

redsetanta

Just wondering if anyone is travelling up to Belfast on Saturday? I understand you have to have a ticket to get in so will anybody that's travelling have any spare tickets. I am going to travel up anyhow.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Helix.

Quote from: Laois man on June 09, 2021, 09:48:10 AM
His David Dooley gone to play Rugby fulltime? Best of luck to him if thats true.

See he's been called up to Leinster 19s squad. Assuming it's part of academy. More power to him best of luck!

Giovanni

Poor showing again on Saturday. I just get the impression that there is a huge emphasis on defence and attack seems to have to look after itself. Whereas we looked like scoring goals every game under Brennan, we look toothless now (with arguably better forwards). We're just not going to be competitive unless we can score goals. We've proven we can do it so I don't see why we don't believe in ourselves a bit more on that front.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Giovanni on June 13, 2021, 05:52:19 PM
Poor showing again on Saturday. I just get the impression that there is a huge emphasis on defence and attack seems to have to look after itself. Whereas we looked like scoring goals every game under Brennan, we look toothless now (with arguably better forwards). We're just not going to be competitive unless we can score goals. We've proven we can do it so I don't see why we don't believe in ourselves a bit more on that front.

They mixed good with bad against a team that is competing extremely well this year. With a few minutes to go we were only a couple of points adrift in Antrim's home patch. We could have won that match, despite all the hype about Antrim. 20 wides including a few missed goal chances. Lots of lads trying to find form after layoffs - Picky, Willie Dunphy and to a lesser extent Cha and Aaron Dunphy. The target has to be to stay in Division 1 (beat Westmeath, no pushovers but a good challenge), give Wexford a good rattle, and keep our Liam McCarthy status (beating Antrim probably required). With everyone available and playing well and a big emphasis on hard hurling in training, I think there is a strong chance we can still have a good year. We are still improving. It is not as if we are targeting winning a Leinster final but the 3 prizes are still there to be won (compete against wexford, stay top tier in both league and championship).

Laois Rising

Agree Blue and White. Covid and injuries have really deprived Cheddar of valuable time in the development of this Laois team. He is implementing a new style of hurling that will take time to embed. If Laois could survive in division 1 and championship for next year it is only then we will be able to see the fruits of Cheddar's labour. The likes of Cha, Scully etc. I feel will need a full year or so back training and playing intercounty hurling before they can truly reach full potential of their undoubted talents. If Kavanagh can make a successful recovery and Roddy, Dunphy stay motoring the nucleus of a talented forward line for 2022. I just hope Laois have the opportunity to showcase this at the top table in 2022.

Giovanni

I'm not sure why we have to introduce a new style of hurling. The style that we had under Eddie Brennan was producing strong results so why are we changing it? Of course every manager has to put his own stamp on things but why would we throw the baby out with the bath water?

We are consistently having so many wides at least partly because we're shooting from mad positions. We're shooting from mad positions because there isn't enough support to the attack. Waterford were  at this for years and got nowhere. They're motoring in the last couple of years with a weaker squad by having a more attack-minded (and goal scoring) approach. To me, we should trust ourselves to go and compete rather than focusing on defence. We have a lot of very good hurlers now and we should trust them.

Laois man

Anybody at any of the senior club league games over the weekend?