Laois senior hurling memories

Started by redsetanta, March 23, 2020, 12:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

With the lack of games to be discussing I thought we could delve into the past and talk about games in times past.

1 - Best memory supporting the hurlers
2 - Favourite match
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads)
4 - Best score/favourite
5 - Best individual display in a match
6 - Match with best atmosphere
7 - Most impressive victory
8 - Favourite county ground
9- Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them)
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us

If more than 1 in a category then list 1,2,3 in order of preference.

If you have anything to add to it fire away
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Zooming around

Quote from: redsetanta on March 23, 2020, 12:44:12 PM
With the lack of games to be discussing I thought we could delve into the past and talk about games in times past.

1 - Best memory supporting the hurlers - The win over Dublin last year (senior). The win over KK in the Forristal a few years ago (Juvenile)
2 - Favourite match - The win over Offaly a few years ago where we scored 30 points. A tactical masterclass
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) - Pre Paul Cuddy. Post Paddy Purcell.
4 - Best score/Favourite score - David Dooley's 65 in the above Forristal game v Kilkenny.
5 - Best individual display in a match - John Taylor v Kilkenny in Carlow in 84
6 - Match with best atmosphere - Galway 2013 in the Park
7 - Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them) - 1. Galway 2013, 2. the Cork 10 goal hammering.
8 - Worst refereeing decision against us -
9 - Most impressive victory - The above Offaly game

If more than 1 in each category then list them 1,2,3

If you have anything to add to it fire away

redsetanta

1 - Best memory supporting the hurlers - Beating KK in the league quarter final in 1996 in Thurles

2 - Favourite match - The game above or last year against Dublin

3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) - PJ Cuddy. As a younglad I just thought there was no-one else scoring goals for Laois. Willie Hyland post 2000.

4 - Best score/favourite - Tommy Fitz's goal against Galway in 2013

5 - Best individual display in a match - Willie Hyland against Offaly in that historic victory under Cheddar

6 - Match with best atmosphere - Game against Galway when Fitz scored his goal. Dublin last year was great and a special mention for the Laois v Clare league quarter final during Cheddars time. Reddins goal nearly lifted the roof off the stand.

7 - Most impressive victory - Any time you beat the Cats in a competitive game has to be impressive so the league in 96. I was also impressed the way the dug out victory against Kerry in the relegation decider after extra time in the 2017 playoff

8 - Favourite county ground - Outside of O'Moore I like the ground in Tullamore

9- Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them) 1998 Leinster semi final against KK. A late goal from Ken O'Shea who came on which beat us. We were brilliant that day and I remember Tony Dunne from the Harps having a great game. Another game against KK in Carlow in 1995 when they beat us by 2 points. Laois had all the momentum when the final whistle went. Leinster final 85. Laois never turned up that day and Offaly goals steamrolled them.

10 - Worst refereeing decision against us - I can't remember too many in the grand scheme of things but the ghost goal against Offaly in the 80's. The game against KK in 1995 the ball was still in play and Laois were attacking the KK goal when the ref blew full time.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

SpeculativeEffort

1 - Best memory supporting the hurlers- Dublin 2019 pitch invasion, the quarter final was also a day you could be a Laois person with pride too. League qfinal in 96
2 - Favourite match beating kk in 96, Paul Cuddys goal to beat Dublin in Nowlan park early 00s
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) Pj Cuddy, Damien Culleton, Liam Tynan, Mark Kavanagh, Purcell
4 - Best score/favourite Keenan sideline from near 65 v offaly terrace side
5 - Best individual display in a match- Willie Dunphy v Dublin, Hyland v Offaly
6 - Match with best atmosphere Laois v Dublin
7 - Most impressive victory
8 - Favourite county ground Nowlan Park, Tullamore
9- Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them)
Worst- Laois v Meath in Navan around 2002
Losing to Wicklow in Div 2 around 2007
Cork 10-20
I will stop there.
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us