Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 31, 2018, 01:49:38 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on January 31, 2018, 11:51:47 AM
Lee Keegan only 5'11. It not the size of the man in the fight, its the size of the fight in the man.

Crucially he's about 13.5st and built like a Rugby League player, with the athleticism to boot and he's got the nastiness in him that all winners have.
yeah but the most important thing he has is the ability to kick points and goals when he gets the chance. You don't learn that in the gym.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 31, 2018, 02:26:27 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 31, 2018, 01:49:38 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on January 31, 2018, 11:51:47 AM
Lee Keegan only 5'11. It not the size of the man in the fight, its the size of the fight in the man.

Crucially he's about 13.5st and built like a Rugby League player, with the athleticism to boot and he's got the nastiness in him that all winners have.
yeah but the most important thing he has is the ability to kick points and goals when he gets the chance. You don't learn that in the gym.

So does Tiernan McCann who you have slated.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: The Trap on January 31, 2018, 01:37:32 PM
What has happened in the last 6 months? Last August we were the fittest team in the land, had the best man at S&C, the best panel the county ever had......now we are too small, not doing the right training, have no backs, no forwards, one midfielder and a goalie........

I get your point, I suppose in this discussion, everyone seems to be coming from different angles on Tyrone's objectives for the year (s) ahead. Some see them as potential AI winners, some see them as kings of Ulster and see what happens, others can't abide by current systems and decisions.

In my opinion there wasn't a hope Tyrone were beating Dublin last year, I couldn't fathom how some thought they would beat them going on the league game between the two. I adopt the same reasoning right now, Tyrone need not panic over a league loss to Galway, it's largely irrelevant. Tyrone will be judged on the summer. I think they can retain Ulster personally but that will be the height of their ambitions. They have the squad and players and management to do that.

tyroneman

If you are coached to effectively play a zonal marking system and defend in groups of 2-3 then it wil be natural that defenders will lose the edge that being 1-on-1 with their direct opponent will give them.

It doesn't make them bad players or mean that they won't ever be able to go man to man but they need good coaching and an opportunity over a number of games to rediscover that ability.

Defending in packs also means you tend to lose personal accountability.

Talent wise this bunch of players could very well be good enough to compete v Dub/Kerr/May we just won't know until they are given more individual responsibility.

Will we win Ulster playing the same style as last year?

Maybe, although probably not if Donegal actually evolve a more attacking game (they have just as good, if not a better panel of players and certianly more marquee players)

Will we beat Dublin in Aug/Sep? No.

southtyronegael

Bomber, don't be comparin tiarnan mc cann with lee Keegan. When has mc cann done it in the big games?

driveherin

Tiarnan more interested in his tan, six pack and hair than putting in a big hit like Keegan. In other words -  he hasn't got the balls!

Tyroneforsam

Quote from: driveherin on January 31, 2018, 03:49:19 PM
Tiarnan more interested in his tan, six pack and hair than putting in a big hit like Keegan. In other words -  he hasn't got the balls!

Agree 100% and that accusation could be levelled at a few of them!

Not the same balls or will to win as that of the all Ireland winning teams.

longballin

Quote from: The Trap on January 31, 2018, 01:37:32 PM
What has happened in the last 6 months? Last August we were the fittest team in the land, had the best man at S&C, the best panel the county ever had......now we are too small, not doing the right training, have no backs, no forwards, one midfielder and a goalie........

was a lot of overhype winning Ulster against very poor opposition

southtyronegael

he hasn't got the balls or the football ability to cut it at the top level.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 31, 2018, 04:19:07 PM

His football ability is more than good enough. He's a regular scorer for Tyrone now after all the unjust abuse you levelled at him last year.

southtyronegael

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 31, 2018, 04:29:59 PM

His football ability is more than good enough. He's a regular scorer for Tyrone now after all the unjust abuse you levelled at him last year.
what abuse? Sayin he isn't good enough for top level is not abuse. He pops up with an odd point surely when it doesn't matter but cant do it on the big days. Unlike lee Keegan who u compared him too.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 31, 2018, 04:45:51 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 31, 2018, 04:29:59 PM

what abuse? Sayin he isn't good enough for top level is not abuse.

You must not have watched a lot of McCann in a Tyrone jersey of late. Easily one of the top performers in the team.

Keyboard Warrior

Played most last years championship defeat to Dublin with a broken hand - ballsy enough as far as I'm concerned.

RedHand88

McCann is one of the first names on the team sheet now. One of a few (inc colm cav, harte) who are willing to drive at lines of defence with the ball now instead of going sidewards over and over. Your criticism of him southtyrone is completely uncalled for.

southtyronegael

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 31, 2018, 05:11:17 PM
McCann is one of the first names on the team sheet now. One of a few (inc colm cav, harte) who are willing to drive at lines of defence with the ball now instead of going sidewards over and over. Your criticism of him southtyrone is completely uncalled for.
well I disagree but if I see him do the biz in a big game in croker ill admit I was wrong.