Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maldini

Having watched the match twice now I'm not sure how you can conclude that one of the reasons Down lost was that Shane Annett wasn't on for long enough

snoopdog

Quote from: Johnnysboys on July 16, 2023, 10:33:13 PM
It has to go down as a poor year - hear me out. We lost out in a reasonably poor division 3 with Cavan being the exception. Had Antrim and Westmeath taken their chances it could've been embarrassing. Then we won an ulster championship game for the first time in ages and follow it up with as bad a performance tactically as I've seen in a long time. I don't want to hear about Armagh being on the road longer etc etc as that means nothing when it's a game between 30 players at the same so called standard.
Then we get a run in the B competition and gather a bit of momentum before blitzing a savage poor Laois in the semis. As someone already mentioned - a good club division 1 team wudve toppled them.. into the final and we leave a 6'2 man on the sideline who is as athletic as we have in the county, is experienced as has played in 2 club all Ireland finals and has great fielding ability - beggars belief.. Shane Annett - another 6'1 athletic player - on the bench.. crazy..
finally - stop this bulls**t about winning two ulster u20 titles. We absolutely stole the first one as Monaghan best player was killed in the lead up to it and this year the team was a dream team that Micky mouse cudve won ulster with. I know they were ambushed at minor level but that was never happening again.
So weigh it up
U20 two years ago - first test against a team - beaten
U20 this year - as above
Senior this year - test v Cavan in league - beat, test v Fermanagh in league - beaten - test v Armagh in championship- embarrassed - test v Meath in Chsmpionship - beaten..

Laverty may well seem to be the best we have at present - but the whole thing needs a shakeup to get the results required to get back competing again where it matters.. enjoyed the amount of games this year but not the quality on view by our own.
[/quote

Who said Down qnd Armagh were on the similar level?? Anyone with half a Brain knew thst fame would be a struggle and the possibility of a beating was there.  How many players were given game time this year? How many more county standard are there in the ounty championship for Lavety to unearth.?? Who should be the manager? We would love to know constructive thoughts.

Cuan12

I don't know why some on hear are having a go at the manager , most likely have a personal axe to grind, Meath got out of jail, we should have won that final and but for a flukey goal and our inability to convert 3 goal chances we would have a different narrative on here, but that game is done and we need to look forward. The championships will be upon us and hopefully we can find a few more players for the senior squad.
Now we are focusing on the club scene it would great if we could look at our development squads, minor and u20s. We need quality coaches who know what they're doing and aren't just names from glory days or friends from university days.
Derry has shown what can be achieved after a root and branch process has been carried out, Down supporters are being let down badly by the current Down executive , a run in the B championship can't be allowed to paper over the problems.
We need proper systems with accountability for county coaches and juvenile county managers if we are to make further improvement at senior level in the years to come.
I hope the next county chairman can bring about the necessary changes as the present one can't or won't implement the necessary changes required to give Conor Lavery the support he needs and not the inappropriate criticism I have read here and listened to.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Cuan12 on July 17, 2023, 08:34:50 AM
I don't know why some on hear are having a go at the manager , most likely have a personal axe to grind, Meath got out of jail, we should have won that final and but for a flukey goal and our inability to convert 3 goal chances we would have a different narrative on here, but that game is done and we need to look forward. The championships will be upon us and hopefully we can find a few more players for the senior squad.
Now we are focusing on the club scene it would great if we could look at our development squads, minor and u20s. We need quality coaches who know what they're doing and aren't just names from glory days or friends from university days.
Derry has shown what can be achieved after a root and branch process has been carried out, Down supporters are being let down badly by the current Down executive , a run in the B championship can't be allowed to paper over the problems.
We need proper systems with accountability for county coaches and juvenile county managers if we are to make further improvement at senior level in the years to come.
I hope the next county chairman can bring about the necessary changes as the present one can't or won't implement the necessary changes required to give Conor Lavery the support he needs and not the inappropriate criticism I have read here and listened to.

How are the county coaches and juvenile county managers not accountable? These are discussed at county board meetings where clubs are informed of what is going on, and each meeting has a delegate who can question the executive.

imtommygunn

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 16, 2023, 06:38:10 PM
Quote from: Lotto on July 16, 2023, 04:05:34 PM
And what difference would either of those make. He is the manager, again he looked lost along the line yesterday and frequently clueless. Not sure what Mc Guinness does on match day but all of his other men don't seem to have much input or influence. I'd have Mc Guinness along the line and just let Laverty be a coach as he hasn't a clue how to be a manager.

That's pretty harsh. New manager tested at a level that, yes, he admittedly came up short in. But he has made great progress at both age levels. He has made us entertaining again and his team look enthusiastic and united together.

saying he hasn't a clue how to be a manager is an exaggeration, he hasn't so far become a really goo manager but he certainly has managed fairly well, certainly better than we had.

It's nonsense too and obviously a personal gripe. Being honest with you I did not like Laverty as a player as I thought he was constantly looking to dive and get players booked but he is a very good manager and will come good for you if given a bit of time. Meath have had a decent conveyor belt of talent coming through from underage and also the more senior guys have probably played in super 8s etc. Down will come good.

Cuan12

Truth hurts, reading your post, your obviously clued into the county coaches and must be well impressed on the progress we are making at juvenile level via the development squads!!!

manwithnoplan

Doom and gloom merchants seem to be enjoying the chance to put the boot in to the management. A flukey goal, Kerr blazing a goal chance over before half time and some poor decision making by players running in to blind alleys or passing the ball to men under pressure are what lost the game. Credit to Meath for their solid defensive shape and their two big men stepped up to the plate after half time. Not sure why people on here expected an easy win against a Div 2 side who had beaten Down already. Some green shoots of progress were all we wanted this year, and personally I think we got that. Next year is the real test of the management I believe, having had a year with the panel and now a chance to get a good look at other potential players for next year. We do need more of a physical presence, not sure who could be brought in to the team to add that?

statto

Meath did very well to restrict down's key players, Kerr got a point which should have been a goal and kicked a good score towards the end but was well marshalled, havern in the first half missed an easy free and a chance immediately after that you would expect him to get, murdock couldn't get up and running and magill wasn't in the game at all. 

For me Charlie Smyth would be a far better option than Kane in goals, Eugene Branagan basic skillset was poor and he probably shouldn't be starting, shealan johnston looked quite lightweigh and recall him being easily muscled off the ball in the first half.  Laverty very loyal to his club mates and could argue for obvious reasons as they have reached pinnacle of club football.  Think he will be a good manager but for him personally he might be better in 7/8 years time when he has less ties to the players. 

befair

Marginal progress this year, better atmosphere but few achievemnents apart from the wins over Donegal and Cavan. As I feared, the county level was a step too far for the Kilcoo lads, great club players though they are. But Lavery can only work with what he has got, and untill we can unearth some bigger lads the Tailteann Cup will remain our annual target

Johnnysboys

Club games Friday night and Monday - are there any county players still in the country?? I hate that when the county season is done they think they are above playing club football for a few weeks until they are brought back to earth by a voice in the crowd telling them the truth.

marty34

Quote from: Johnnysboys on July 19, 2023, 08:42:03 AM
Club games Friday night and Monday - are there any county players still in the country?? I hate that when the county season is done they think they are above playing club football for a few weeks until they are brought back to earth by a voice in the crowd telling them the truth.

Do they not need a break for a week or two?

They'll still be in peak fitness in a week or two but just doing a bit of running etc.

manwithnoplan

What a ridiculous statement. Lads training hard since before Christmas taking a week off is hardly a crime. They don't owe you anything. Unless your club is maybe different and they are professional club players with contractual obligations.

supersub

Bar stool syndrome well and truly rife now the county season is over.

Ed Hardy

Any posters on here from Carryduff? Will James Guinness or Owen McCabe be back from injury in time to play championship this year?

DuffGael

Owen McCabe and Tom McCarrol are out for the season, James Guinness should be back soon.