Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

Quote from: ONeill on January 13, 2023, 10:51:52 PM
What is it?

Quote from: ClubScene13 on January 13, 2023, 05:59:49 PM
Quote from: Link on January 13, 2023, 05:32:39 PM
A few lads overage that have already completed year 14 and word of others doing a 2 day week in school? Surely not

It's the lads that have completed year 14 that are doing the 2 day school week. Work experience the other 3 days. It's definitely wrong and I assume the lads could be 19 by now. I don't know how many are at it but I know of at least 3 starting tonight, could be more, might not be.

You'd imagine the Academy / Maghera / Convent wouldn't be happy about this but they seem to be getting away with it for now.
Ulster League Champions 2009

ONeill

Sure for decades, all the major GAA schools in the competition allowed lads who bombed at GCSE/O'Level to stay on and introduced all manner of qualifications to enable them to play MacRory. Or enticed them from secondaries across the road for the same reason.

Isn't there an age cut-off anyway?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Estimator

Quote from: ONeill on January 13, 2023, 10:59:16 PM
Sure for decades, all the major GAA schools in the competition allowed lads who bombed at GCSE/O'Level to stay on and introduced all manner of qualifications to enable them to play MacRory. Or enticed them from secondaries across the road for the same reason.

That's very true, but that was more about keeping students good footballers on at the same school after their GCSEs, or moving them across at that point, not enticing them in after they've completed 7 years in a different school altogether.

MacRory is now U-19. I believe it used to be U-18.5 and there was a time where MacRory winning teams would've lost players for the Hogan as it was U-18
Ulster League Champions 2009

ONeill

Had a look there at HTC's squad last year in the final and this year's team today. I can only see 2 new names who may have come from 5th year, I dunno.

Who completed 7 years in another school and was enticed?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thewobbler

Sometimes you have to be careful for what you wish for in sport.

Abbey CBS led the charge back in 1996 to extend the eligibility age, when one of the McEntees was resitting upper 6th.

The unintended consequence of this is that "8th years" are more likely to turn up at schools with a technical / vocational bent.

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: the_daddy on January 14, 2023, 12:21:48 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 13, 2023, 11:48:54 PM
Had a look there at HTC's squad last year in the final and this year's team today. I can only see 2 new names who may have come from 5th year, I dunno.

Who completed 7 years in another school and was enticed?
Devlin the elder.

One of the lads in work today was saying that 3 of those HTC players are receiving financial incentives to entice them back. That surely cannot be true?

bannside

https://twitter.com/ulsterschools/status/1614042906213613569?t=Cu9S5bpydIxLeT_AyMBw4Q&s=08

Some comeback to be fair. They don't come much sweeter for the winners (or devastating for the losers) than this!

Link

19 year olds shouldn't be playing macrory. End of.

WT4E

Quote from: bannside on January 14, 2023, 09:06:39 AM
https://twitter.com/ulsterschools/status/1614042906213613569?t=Cu9S5bpydIxLeT_AyMBw4Q&s=08

Some comeback to be fair. They don't come much sweeter for the winners (or devastating for the losers) than this!

Jesus that was absolutely awful from Maghera..... so many errors in a min it's ti know where to start.

J70

Quote from: Link on January 14, 2023, 09:08:03 AM
19 year olds shouldn't be playing macrory. End of.

I started my third year of university when I was 19.

Armagh18

Quote from: Estimator on January 13, 2023, 11:30:12 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 13, 2023, 10:59:16 PM

That's very true, but that was more about keeping students good footballers on at the same school after their GCSEs, or moving them across at that point, not enticing them in after they've completed 7 years in a different school altogether.

MacRory is now U-19. I believe it used to be U-18.5 and there was a time where MacRory winning teams would've lost players for the Hogan as it was U-18
Was hogan ever u18? Always thought the school year in the south works off the calendar year so was always u19

thewobbler

Hogan was u18 until around 2000. It's now u18.5 I believe.

WT4E

Quote from: thewobbler on January 14, 2023, 12:11:51 PM

I think Dungannon academy won it in 1997 with some lads that would not have been u18? Conal Martin or ja quinn maybe?

thewobbler

Actually the change might have went through in 1996 along with the MacRory moving to u19.

I know Sean Marty Lockhart was winning MacRory captain in 95, but wasn't eligible for Hogan.

square_ball

Quote from: WT4E on January 14, 2023, 12:18:27 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 14, 2023, 12:11:51 PM

I think Dungannon academy won it in 1997 with some lads that would not have been u18? Conal Martin or ja quinn maybe?

Majority of that team from memory would not have been u18 at that time so the rule must have been changed a short time before that year. Only the likes of McGuigan, Thornton and Gourley started for Tyrone minors in 1997. Maybe a few others in the squad.