Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 11, 2022, 09:41:32 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2022, 09:12:42 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on October 10, 2022, 03:51:09 PM
Is there any site that does up to date fixtures, Ulster colleges website is away to the dogs
Ulster college GAA on fb generally has loads on it

I have looked there and cannot see any fixtures. When does the McRory and Rannafst start? ANy fixtures around Down or Belfast this weekend does anyone know?

MACLARNON CUP 🏐🏆
Twelve schools went into the Danske Bank MacLarnon Cup for the draw for the pre-Christmas group stages that start during the first week of November and will be completed by Wednesday 14th December.
The teams finishing in fourth place in each of the three sections will be eliminated, while a fourth team will also drop out before Christmas with a play-off between the third placed teams in Section B and C.
2019 champions St Patrick's Downpatrick hosted the event yesterday and were drawn against Rathmore Grammar, St Louis Ballymena and Loreto Milford. Downpatrick reached the semi-finals last year before being ousted by Our Lady's Castleblayney.
Head of PE in the school Darren Swail felt that there was a feel of familiarity about their group.
"We would have played against St Louis and Rathmore regularly through the year groups as well as at MacLarnon level and we actually beat Loreto Milford in the knock-out stages just before Covid.
"It is hard to say who will be the teams to beat at this level especially with no games two years ago because Covid wiped them out. Everyone will be watching each other's results I would think and working out who are emerging as front runners," he predicted.
The winner of the play-off game just before Christmas will face the team that tops Group A in the quarter-finals in the first week back to school in early January. The semi-finals are scheduled for the weekend of Friday 20th – Sunday 22nd January.
Oonagh Murtagh, Head of South Business Centre with Danske Bank helped Jimmy Smyth, Chairperson of Ulster Schools' GAA make the various draws.
"We in Danske Bank are very pleased to continue our involvement with Ulster Schools' GAA. The provincial Schools' Council now caters for 125 schools and we are here in the Red High to launch the three signature competitions, the Danske Bank MacRory, MacLarnon and Mageean Cups as well as 59 other competitions in hurling and football which will involve thousands of young boys over the school year just started.
"We in Danske Bank know the benefits of sport in the community and we are pleased to get involved in the schools who operate at all levels in Ulster GAA"
Jimmy Smyth added:
"We came to the Red High here to launch our competitions as this school won their first ever Danske Bank Mageean Cup last December and we have witnessed the joy that has brought to the school and the area over the last nine months.
"There are now over 60 schools fielding in hurling and that is a tremendous growth over the past couple of decades. It comes as a result of hard work in the clubs and through initiatives like the Tain Óg Hurling Leagues that runs through the summer.
"We are pleased to support the schools to develop that interest in hurling and look forward to presenting cups to other first time winners at all levels."
Ulster Schools' GAA games will begin during the first week of October with U13.5 Hurling, with U16.5 Football hitting the road a week later.

There was also a image should the groups for the MacRory cup .. No dates though but I wouldn't imagine that be difficult to find, If I was retired I'd have a serious amount of school games to cover, there is always something on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

MacRory Cup

Section A
Cavan, Letterkenny, Omagh & Enniskillen

Section B
St Ronans, Carrickmacross, St Macartans & Abbey

Section C
St Pats Armagh, Cookstown, St Mary's Magherafelt & St Pats Dungannon

Section D
Colmans, Maghera & Blayney

League Matches W/C 7th, 21st November & 5th December

Truth hurts

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 12, 2022, 09:54:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2022, 09:12:42 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on October 10, 2022, 03:51:09 PM
Is there any site that does up to date fixtures, Ulster colleges website is away to the dogs
Ulster college GAA on fb generally has loads on it

Their Instagram page is also fairly up-to-date with things as well. However for fixture lists it's tricky to get them, especially with most schools arranging dates/times to suit themselves. I don't think they're published into the GAA GMS either.

Seems that schools are really suspicious of being watched by other teams and wait to the last minute to tell venues to kids and parents.

TwoUpTwoDown

They could really do with having an updated fixture list. I mainly follow their Twitter and it just appears to highlight random games. How are gradings determined at Ulster College level? I see the Dean had a huge win last night and surely would be better placed a level up? Along with likes of St Ciarans?

Are SEM no longer the powerhouse in Monaghan? Carrickmacross had a huge win today against St Ronans who are normally fancied?

Are there any Donegal schools who are at much of a level? Surely there has to be football there considering they have been strong at county level for a good few years? Milford had a good win against Downpatrick I see but on flipside Glenties got bad beating.

Is there no football in Coleraine at all? I seen on Teamtalk they had a bad beating to Holy Cross Strabane who I assumed would be very weak? And they are playing in Markey level which is grade C/D?

Overall to touch on an earlier point, if there were a masters fixture list I think some of these games would attract decent viewers for people with spare time. Surely could be promoted better?

smort

Couldn't agree more  TwoUpTwoDown. Follow Ulster colleges on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and it does seem to promote random games. They also then have a lot of results and pictures of other games post match.
My current job would allow me time in the middle of the day to attend some local macrory or rannafast games, but never know when they are on

smort

Thought it may have been a safeguarding issue or something
May just keep the ear close to the ground, will check the local schools social accounts, they might post fixtures themselves. It would be nice to see some of the youth from my own, and other local, clubs playing at this level. Would also be great to get a first glimpse of the next great thing

smort

To be fair they do seem to be publishing the macrory fixtures ahead of time. Well, a day ahead just

Truth hurts

I wish the games would revert back to Saturdays at 11am but i suppose a lot going on now.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 16, 2022, 09:25:41 AM
I wish the games would revert back to Saturdays at 11am but i suppose a lot going on now.

Yeah those times really brought out the neutrals, it's also very difficult to arrange the referee's around the current days/times, at the weekend you could have the umpires and linesmen available, now you are lucky to get anyone to help
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 16, 2022, 09:25:41 AM
Would most 16/17/18 year olds not work on Saturdays??

thewobbler

Group stage games were rarely at 11am on a Saturday.

There's likely well over 150 fixtures to be fulfilled some weeks, across the various codes, various levels and various levels.

That's no easy task.

Truth hurts

St Colmans V the Abbey on Thursday at 1pm when people are back at work. Surely this should be under the lights of Esler to attract a big crowd.

ONeill

Big wins for Omagh and Cookstown tonight. HTC were dogged.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on January 13, 2023, 10:43:36 PM
Big wins for Omagh and Cookstown tonight. HTC were dogged.

Is there not a bit of controversy about HTC??

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.