Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Great days football at Croker. HTC were superbly drilled but they have some great talents and have real character as footballers who will hopefully be in red hand jerseys in the future. This school is doing serious work with their lads and lassies in football. St Ronan's were fantastic and an amazing story behind their rise to the top. An example for any school on how to harness talent.

Eamonnca1

What a terrific game to watch. Well done to all involved.

illdecide

St Ronan's deserved their win and to be truthful should have won with a few to spare, def should have been 4-5 pts up at HT but a lucky goal and some poor shooting left them with a much harder task in the second half. The second half was a bit closer and I always thought St Ronan's were going to have to score a goal to win it and they got it (u could see it coming), great point to win it which wouldn't have looked out of place at a senior inter county game. To be fair Rice had a few chances at the end to at least earn a draw and one of their misses was a shocker but a great game and I think the best team won...

A great boost for the town of Lurgan (and Aghagallon), hopefully a lot of them lads will strut their stuff at senior level and drive their teams forward...Well done St Ronan's...

Thought there would have been a bigger crowd???(and that rain afterwards was a bollix)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JimStynes

Great boost for Lurgan, Aghagallon, Trasna and Derrymacash! Also, I thought Big Leo from Portadown had his best game in a while. There must be about 10 clubs involved in the win.

Eamonnca1

Is young Smyth any relation to Jimmy?

Don Johnson

Don't think so. His da is from Craigavon, stones throw from Lismore.

Owen Brannigan

Who was St Ronan's 45m kicker who could teach county players how to do it? What club is he from?

Harold Disgracey

Shane McConville's son Eoin from St Paul's. Saw him kick some of the finest points I'd ever seen in the Athletic Grounds in an U16 final a two years ago.

illdecide

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 08, 2018, 10:31:22 AM
Shane McConville's son Eoin from St Paul's. Saw him kick some of the finest points I'd ever seen in the Athletic Grounds in an U16 final a two years ago.

He kicked a belter today v Clans in Davitt Pk

illdecide

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 08, 2018, 03:49:55 AM

No...Def not. Oisin Smyth I think is from Sarsfields (Sáirséil)

Mickey Linden

Dynamic of ulster schools football has fairly changed. Was talking to a first year pupil at the match yesterday and they were saying there were 280 in their year. Ill be amazed if st ronans dont win at least 3 mccrorys in next 10 years. Not too many gaels from lurgan be getting buses to armagh newry or lismore to attend school

ardchieftain

Young Smith is Sarsfields. Watched him from the opposition dugout many times. The lad doesn't now how good he is.

JimStynes

Quote from: illdecide on April 08, 2018, 10:17:48 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 08, 2018, 10:31:22 AM

He kicked a belter today v Clans in Davitt Pk

Some strike alright! And then he got head butted!

omochain

Best striker of a ball I have ever seen was also a lad from Lurgan. Frank Toman. Was able to point 50's back in 1968 when he was 16 or 17.

The Gs Man

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 08, 2018, 03:49:55 AM

Nope, Oisin's da was a soccer man.  His uncle on his ma's side is Pat McGibbon, played a bit of GAA for Armagh minors, but then went to Man United, Wigan and a few other clubs.

Oisin is a great soccer player as well.  Plays with Dungannon Swifts.
Keep 'er lit