Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man Marker

That particular ref is the definition of a complete tube

Any craic

Video report from tonight's MacRory Cup draw, St Patrick's Academy Dungannon 2-13 Abbey CBS  2-13 http://www.ulstercollegesgaa.org

BADONEY

One has got to admire the comeback from Abbey even with the refs assistance , this draw and tomorrow nights postponement leaves the  fixtures body in a pickle , any word when the Colmans v Omagh is scheduled.

SkillfulBill

Can't fault the Abbey at all for sticking with it and making the most of a poor official. What concerns me is that i think he may be an inter county ref. I think he had one of Ballinderrys games in the ulster club did Kevin Collins do something to upset him ?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: SkillfulBill on February 13, 2014, 10:38:39 PM
The refing in that game was seriously suspect. The Abbey can without doubt thank Higgins for keeping them in the competition. In the closing mins he allowed a 14 yard free to be retaken after been missed. Academy 4 pts up with 2 mins left on clock Academy played a long ball into Fintan McClure at fullforward. McClure was out in front and was clearly pushed in the back. Ref gives a free out for touching ball on ground not even the most partisan in the ground could understand it. Had the decision been made fairly Academy would have pointed and been 5 up game over. Instead ball goes down the other end goal. Ref calls 3 mins extra time. Abbey equalises in the 4 min of extra time. I dont often comment on ref'ing but i did find that display very questionable.It's not up to the man in the middle to have such an impact on the result.

Academy have only themselves to blame. With the exception of a fifteen minute spell before half-time, they were far and away the better side.

With regards to your points above, the free wasn't from 14 yards; it was closer to fifty yards and was moved forward for the second attempt due to some sort of skullduggery from the Academy players when the first attempt was being taken. In the incident involving McClure (assuming it was the same one), the ball had passed both players and McClure was blown for a push, clearly signalled by Higgins. I thought the 3 minutes injury time was skimpy enough, given a couple of quite long stoppages for injuries to Academy players. The Abbey goal was scored after 32 minutes and 20 seconds; they won the kickout and a free kick was correctly awarded during the ensuing attack. As a neutral I thought Higgins got all three calls spot on.

Not his fault the Academy, whatever an academy is, couldn't close the game out. they should win the replay relatively comfortably though.

elk

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on February 14, 2014, 08:12:10 AM
The refing in that game was seriously suspect. The Abbey can without doubt thank Higgins for keeping them in the competition. In the closing mins he allowed a 14 yard free to be retaken after been missed. Academy 4 pts up with 2 mins left on clock Academy played a long ball into Fintan McClure at fullforward. McClure was out in front and was clearly pushed in the back. Ref gives a free out for touching ball on ground not even the most partisan in the ground could understand it. Had the decision been made fairly Academy would have pointed and been 5 up game over. Instead ball goes down the other end goal. Ref calls 3 mins extra time. Abbey equalises in the 4 min of extra time. I dont often comment on ref'ing but i did find that display very questionable.It's not up to the man in the middle to have such an impact on the result.

I agree the ref got it right plus Academy did try to waste as much time as they could and have only themselves for not closing the game out. I thought if the Abbey had taken their chances in the 1st half the game would have been over, missed alot of frees. Can't see the Abbey playing as poorly again but Gromley needs to have a serious look at how he is lining his team out especailly in midfield and half back line. Number 8 for Acamemy had a great game, maybe a few too many steps for his goal but great to see a young lad playing football in such a positive manner.

naka

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on February 14, 2014, 08:12:10 AM

Academy have only themselves to blame. With the exception of a fifteen minute spell before half-time, they were far and away the better side.

With regards to your points above, the free wasn't from 14 yards; it was closer to fifty yards and was moved forward for the second attempt due to some sort of skullduggery from the Academy players when the first attempt was being taken. In the incident involving McClure (assuming it was the same one), the ball had passed both players and McClure was blown for a push, clearly signalled by Higgins. I thought the 3 minutes injury time was skimpy enough, given a couple of quite long stoppages for injuries to Academy players. The Abbey goal was scored after 32 minutes and 20 seconds; they won the kickout and a free kick was correctly awarded during the ensuing attack. As a neutral I thought Higgins got all three calls spot on.

Not his fault the Academy, whatever an academy is, couldn't close the game out. they should win the replay relatively comfortably though.
still think this is a 50/50 game
abbey should have led by more at half time, referee was ok for both teams, I actually think it is easy a lot of the times to blame the ref but dungannon concede a poor goal in injury time when they had at least 4 guys between mc coy/ and the nets

lenny

Quote from: haranguerer on February 13, 2014, 10:04:18 PM
I can imagine, and I'd have been as pissed off as anyone else if the ref had blew...but with all the talk about enforcing rules, it's one that seems to be just left to any refs interpretation. Like if you were strolling out of defence with no one round you, you'd be blown for 4 and a half steps, but when you're going by men or bearing down on goal, you'll get away with 8. It's just strange

Some forwards seem to get away with the steps rule. Sean cavanagh takes about 10 steps every time he does his dummy but i've never seen him blown for it. By the way its great to get highlights of these games on the ulster colleges website. Young haughey from colmans looks a great prospect. Two really good goals in last nights game also.

orangeman

When and where is Monaghan and  Maghera playing ?

Itchy

St Pats Cavan 0.5 v St Michaels Enniskillen 0.4 at half time in mcrory cup.

Westside

Sounded like a good game in Clones. Cavan let a 3 point lead slip and were going into injury time trailing by a point before Thomas Galligan scored a goal to put Pat's through to the Semi Finals.

Any craic

Here's the late goal and point by St Patricks Cavan to beat St Michaels Enniskillen in today's Danske Bank MacRory Cup QF http://www.ulstercollegesgaa.org

elk

Anyone know where and what time the college v  omagh game is?

bannside

elk

Quote from: bannside on February 18, 2014, 02:48:09 PM
Who are the College?????
Bannside you jest, St Colmans probably the most successful side in the competition