Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 13, 2013, 02:49:40 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 13, 2013, 02:10:42 PM
Delighted to report that our Club has its first college All Star this year, so I think it's a superb system.

Who was that?  Is there a list up any where?  Surprised that more from your club haven't got one when you look at some of the players that have came through and had big underage success.  Then again they were all more than likely playing Markey Cup football.

Cathal McShane won one. They aren't officially out til Monday, but a lot of chatter on twitter of cubs saying who got them. Jarlath Og Burns got one as well.

Not totally au fait with how it works, but St Colmans/ HCC only came into the Ulster Colleges stable a few years back. I am assuming in Markey Cup days they weren't eligible.

Not sure or remember why Declan McCrossan never got one.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Walter Cronc

nrico2006

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 13, 2013, 03:10:02 PM
Delighted to report that our Club has its first college All Star this year, so I think it's a superb system.

Who was that?  Is there a list up any where?  Surprised that more from your club haven't got one when you look at some of the players that have came through and had big underage success.  Then again they were all more than likely playing Markey Cup football.

Cathal McShane won one. They aren't officially out til Monday, but a lot of chatter on twitter of cubs saying who got them. Jarlath Og Burns got one as well.

Not totally au fait with how it works, but St Colmans/ HCC only came into the Ulster Colleges stable a few years back. I am assuming in Markey Cup days they weren't eligible.

When you think of some of the players from St Colmans who would have been in the running, there would have been Paul Bradley, Jim Devine, Declan McCrossan and Brendan Boggs who would have all more than likely got one.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Puckoon

Omagh CBS in the 90's didn't perform to any great standard in the MacRory cup - and Declan wouldn't be the only great player from the school not to gather an all star. Aiden Lynch, Tony McCormack, Aiden Ball, just off the top of my head

1991 - Jimmy Campbell  :D - Half forward
1992 - Brian McConnell - GK
1994 - Paul Tierney corner back
1998 - Fhergal Quinn full back - CBS got to the semi final this year
1999 - Mickey McGee full back, Stephen O'Neill half forward
2000 - Paddy McMahon mid field

Interestingly Justin is the only McMahon not to get the award (aside from the youngest so far).

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 13, 2013, 04:10:56 PM

When you think of some of the players from St Colmans who would have been in the running, there would have been Paul Bradley, Jim Devine, Declan McCrossan and Brendan Boggs who would have all more than likely got one.

If I remember neither Jim nor definitely Deccy went to St Colmans... I think. Declan definitely didn't.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Estimator

Looking at the Maghera players that have been awarded over the years:
1988: Fergal P McCusker & Gregory McCloskey
1989: None (Won MacRory & Hogan Cups)
1990: Paddy McAllister, Greg Simpson, K Diamond, B McCormick, E Burns, R Murphy
1991: Barry McGonigle, K Diamond
1992: K Ryan, R Rocks
1993: S McGuckin, D Hasson
1994: P McKaigue, M Diamond, M McCormick
1995: J Heaney, C Murphy, SM Lockhart
1996: N Farren, P Diamond, G Doyle, E Farren
1997: F Devlin, G Cassidy
1998: None
1999: None
2000: A McNally, P McKenna
2001: P Mooney, K McCann, C O'Neill
2002: G O'Kane, F McGuigan
2003: G O'Kane, J Bradley
2004: M Lynch, M Friel
2005: M Kirkpatrick
2006: None
2007: C McKaigue
2008: C McKaigue
2009: C McWilliams, E McGuckin
2010: D McKindless
2011: E Bradley
2012: R Dougan
2013: C Carville, J Kearney, S O'Hara

Some lads disappeared into obscurity. Others have had a good career for the county sides
Ulster League Champions 2009

The Worker

Is the full list of all stars available ?

Any craic

VIDEO: See all 15 new Danske Bank Ulster Colleges Football All Stars at today's presentation ceremony in Belfast..  http://www.ulstercollegesgaa.org

corran

Is that the same Shea Heffron who's daddy was on the ulster council?

Any craic

Shea's Dad won a MacRory with Maghera in the 80s. The full of today's new 2013/14 Ulster Colleges Football All Stars with their schools & clubs are here https://www.facebook.com/jerome.quinn.7 I make it 3 for Derry, including two from Maghera and one from the Loup who's at Holy Trinity in Cookstown. Strangely enough, there's also a Monaghan lad winning an award with St Ciaran's Ballygawley and an Eglish All Star with St Patrick's Armagh, and even a Teemore lad with St Patrick's Cavan.

imtommygunn

I take that's jarlath's son??

Any craic

Have a look at him on the video - there's no mistaking it

nrico2006

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 13, 2013, 04:45:55 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on December 13, 2013, 04:10:56 PM

If I remember neither Jim nor definitely Deccy went to St Colmans... I think. Declan definitely didn't.

Deccy didn't, dunno how he got into my post there.  Jim was though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

elk

After looking at the Macrory cup draw I fancy the 4 semi-finalists to be St. Colmans, St. Macartans,St. Michaels and Abbey CBS.

superbad

Big game tonight in Armagh. Bessbrook and the Abbey. Rafferty V Gormley. Will keep you updated