Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawhide

Congrats to St Pats Corn Na Og team on their performance yesterday, and to Martin Mc Connell on managing them. He took the college to the Mac Rory and Hogan Cup.
Here is a very interesting stat and a measure of the strength of underage football in Derry presently. St Pats presently have the Hogan Cup, Mac Rory Cup, Rannafast Cup, Corn Na Og Cup, Dalton Cup and year 8 Cup at the college. That is some achievement
cccc is a true supporter lol

corran

Ulster college all-star trials were held last week.
At one trial 13-aside games were played. Can anyone understand how a fullback or fullforward could have a fair shot at showing what they can do when not played in their chosen position.
Have these positions already been chosen?

NAG1

Quote from: corran on December 09, 2013, 09:44:31 AM
At one trial 13-aside games were played. Can anyone understand how a fullback or fullforward could have a fair shot at showing what they can do when not played in their chosen position.

Never understood the rationale for these trial games, the All Stars should be picked the same as the Senior ones on match performances no?

elk

Quote from: NAG1 on December 09, 2013, 10:59:06 AM

Never understood the rationale for these trial games, the All Stars should be picked the same as the Senior ones on match performances no?
Would have to agree should be picked on performances throughout the league stages.

CSC

Should they not be awared after the MacRory is over, and based on league and knockout performances.

corran

You wouldn't expect sense or fairness to be present in any selection process that is overseen by the gaa and sponsored by bankers.

Dougal Maguire

My young lad was called for a trial last year. He said it was the worse run farce he ever had the misfortune to be part of
Careful now

elk

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 10, 2013, 08:32:58 PM
My young lad was called for a trial last year. He said it was the worse run farce he ever had the misfortune to be part of
Know a couple of parents who's lads were involved this year who also claim it is a farce and were sorry their lads waste a day out of class.Team mentors at the trials looking after the interests of their own lads with strategic team selection/positioning to ensure their lads look better if playing against or for the team their in charge off. What's the point of the trials if it's not an even playing field?

Walter Cronc

If you gain an "All Star" are you more likely to get on the Elite Athlete scheme at University??

FermGael

Quote from: elk on December 09, 2013, 12:53:10 PM

Would have to agree should be picked on performances throughout the league stages.

Would agree as well but very hard to watch all the college's football in Ulster.
There is not just the 'A' Competition ( the McRory) but also the 'B'  and 'C' competitions as well to consider.
How would anybody see all the games? 
Impossible ask and "trials" are probably the only way of doing it.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

screenexile

Trials are a farce too... IIRC Michael Walsh was injured for the group stages of the MacRory trials when I was U6th but got a trial and a subsequent Allstar!!

CSC

Quote from: FermGael on December 11, 2013, 03:17:41 PM
Quote from: elk on December 09, 2013, 12:53:10 PM

Would agree as well but very hard to watch all the college's football in Ulster.
There is not just the 'A' Competition ( the McRory) but also the 'B'  and 'C' competitions as well to consider.
How would anybody see all the games? 
Impossible ask and "trials" are probably the only way of doing it.
Living in the states now, and they have a great system. Schools are put into groups acording to size, and each year, the have "all star" awards for each group. i.e., a MacRory , McLarnon, etc all stars. Some of the sports identify the all stars based on votes from team mentors / opp team mentors for each game. The mentors pick a defensive / midfilder and forward vote for each games. At the end of the year, votes are tallied, and you have an all star awards.

There really is no reason why it is limited to 15 starting positions. What happens if you have 10 outstanding midlfielders in one year. Should they all not get an awards

Norf Tyrone

Delighted to report that our Club has its first college All Star this year, so I think it's a superb system.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

nrico2006

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 13, 2013, 02:10:42 PM
Delighted to report that our Club has its first college All Star this year, so I think it's a superb system.

Who was that?  Is there a list up any where?  Surprised that more from your club haven't got one when you look at some of the players that have came through and had big underage success.  Then again they were all more than likely playing Markey Cup football.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

Holy Trinity get their first.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.