Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 19, 2013, 11:13:45 AM
I wouldn't be crowing too much about it to be honest.
That was a Maghera group of players that has had a lot of relative success up through the grades, not to mention a decorated Hogan winner in their ranks.
They had beaten the same Colmans team by 12 points in the earlier stages of this competition and were heavily fancied going into the final.
Be under no illusions, Colman's were rank outsiders and to get to the final was an achievement in itself..probably just glad to have shared the field with the Derry men.

On the game itself, Glass did nothing until the last 8mins. Colman's midfield had nullified his threat and influence for large parts. Colman's had an excellent first half of football and the halftime whistle came too soon for them. Maghera would been glad to get inside and regroup. They showed a lot better the 2nd half and started to show why they were the strong favourites. Colman's goals were both out of the blue, but the 2nd goal was a fantastic effort. They were in it at the death by the skin of their teeth but again Maghera steadied themselves with some well taken scores and ran out deserved winners. The no4 for Maghera should have walked earlier for his continuous antics off the ball, along with dropping the knee into a guy on the floor. He was a good player but was too involved in the bullsh!t stuff. He walked because he tried to decapitate the Colma's midfielder but actually ended up on his hole.

In the earlier game its was a ding-dong battle too. St Josephs had the more influential ball players in the positions that counted. Thought the ref gave absolutely nothing to Ballymena. He was extremely harsh on them and definitely didn't have a good day. He penalised Ballymena for certain fouls but wasn't as quick to blow when it was Crossmaglen who infringed. The winning score itself was a gift from the ref. Ballymena no11 had 2 men hanging out of him trying to win his ball but was blown for fouling his man. He then moved the ball up due to no11 protests at being blown up when it was evident he was the victim. The free was then brought into shooting range for no14 for Cross. Ballymena no6 presence was missed in the second half whenever he went to full back to nullify Cross danger man.

When the game was in the melting pot and things werent going his way he showed leadership.

Sign of a good player in my eyes.

Perhaps you expect him to rattle in 2-5 every game??

Brick Tamlin

I look at it differently.
A player of that calibre, experience and sheer size should have been influencing the game a lot more than what he was.
Suppose its testament to Colman's midfielders for nullifying his threat somewhat.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 19, 2013, 11:38:09 AM
I look at it differently.
A player of that calibre, experience and sheer size should have been influencing the game a lot more than what he was.
Suppose its testament to Colman's midfielders for nullifying his threat somewhat.

Catch yourself on. Its U16s we're referring to here. Why not judge his peers in the same light??

The likelihood is you've read the hype online and in the papers and this was the first time you've seen Conor play.

Brick Tamlin

Youre right it was the first time id seen the lad play. Id read nothing about him or seen any footage of him.
I was told by well informed people at Ulster Colleges level that he was a fantastic talent and was probably the standout player in last years Hogan cup victory.
That's all I was going by, was keen to see how good he was that's all.
Can we really judge his peers in the same light when he is clearly more physically developed than them and has that Hogan winning experience behind him?
He looked like an adult footballer amongst underage players.

Settle yourself.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 19, 2013, 11:50:03 AM
Youre right it was the first time id seen the lad play. Id read nothing about him or seen any footage of him.
I was told by well informed people at Ulster Colleges level that he was a fantastic talent and was probably the standout player in last years Hogan cup victory.
That's all I was going by, was keen to see how good he was that's all.
Can we really judge his peers in the same light when he is clearly more physically developed than them and has that Hogan winning experience behind him?
He looked like an adult footballer amongst underage players.

Settle yourself.

I rest my case!

Rawhide

We beat St Colemans again today in a cracking game, in Mac Rory league section. Although in all  likelihood, it will no effect after Xmas. 
cccc is a true supporter lol

Orior

Quote from: Rawhide on November 23, 2013, 04:59:07 PM
We beat St Colemans again today in a cracking game in Mac Rory league section. Although it in all  likelihood it will no effect after Xmas.

It is St Colman's College, son. Write it out 50 times.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

elk

Looks like there was some very exciting Macrory cup games yesterday anyone at any of the matches. Is there any truth that a few Abbey CBS/ St. Pats Cavan lads got red carded after the final whistle and if so how does this affect them for the next stage of the competition?   Maghera v Magherafelt and Abbey v St. Pauls should be well contested derby matches in the play offs. I think Monaghan will be the team to beat overall.

rodney trotter

It should be a good final next week between St Pats Cavan and MaCartans. McCartans have Conor McCarthy Monghan Minor star from this year and corner forward for Scotstown in their attack along with Cavan Minor Captain Tom Hayes.

Pats haven't had a full strength team for the league so its been good progress.

elk

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 27, 2013, 12:48:29 PM
It should be a good final next week between St Pats Cavan and MaCartans. McCartans have Conor McCarthy Monghan Minor star from this year and corner forward for Scotstown in their attack along with Cavan Minor Captain Tom Hayes.

That's two of the reasons I thought Mc Cartans could be the team to beat but if St Pats have lads still to come in that will improve their team and the fact that no one beat them in a group that looked stronger on paper than Mc Cartans, well maybe it will be Cavans year!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: elk on November 27, 2013, 02:04:57 PM

That's two of the reasons I thought Mc Cartans could be the team to beat but if St Pats have lads still to come in that will improve their team and the fact that no one beat them in a group that looked stronger on paper than Mc Cartans, well maybe it will be Cavans year!

Be nice to see a break through from one of the Southern schools. When was the last time either won the Mac Rory??

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 27, 2013, 02:18:00 PM
Quote from: elk on November 27, 2013, 02:04:57 PM

Be nice to see a break through from one of the Southern schools. When was the last time either won the Mac Rory??

1972, Cavan

FarneyMan

I think 1956 was the last year that 2 "southern" colleges competed against each other in a senior final, St Macartans v St Eunans Letterkenny....

Orior

Would it be fair to say that some schools offer lower sixth places to boys who offer great service on the football field, but clearly have little academic ability and shouldn't be there?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

QuoteWould it be fair to say that some schools offer lower sixth places to boys who offer great service on the football field, but clearly have little academic ability and shouldn't be there?

Sure why not? There are now schools in the MacRorwho offer places in all years to boys of little academic ability.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B