Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Line Ball on October 18, 2013, 07:34:40 PM
Quote from: superbad on October 17, 2013, 10:47:46 PM
I see on the Ulster Colleges twitter a few of next weeks MacRory games. One question, why are so many during the school day? What happened to the traditional Saturday morning slot. I think it takes it away from the competition. Any games this Saturday?

I'd say that since the likes of Ray Morgan and Adrian Mc Guckian have retired that the new breed of teachers just aren't prepared to give their time on a Saturday the way it used to be.  Years ago all football was played on a Saturday but now apart from MacRory all other football is played during the week according to the fixtures and results on the Ulster Colleges twitter and facebook.  There are also new schools coming into the colleges who probably dont want to play on a Saturday either.

Do the teachers get paid for taking teams on a Saturday?

They get extra money for taking the teams (a point) having them during the week is difficult to get referees to do the games
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Line Ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2013, 08:58:38 PM
I see on the Ulster Colleges twitter a few of next weeks MacRory games. One question, why are so many during the school day? What happened to the traditional Saturday morning slot. I think it takes it away from the competition. Any games this Saturday?

I'd say that since the likes of Ray Morgan and Adrian Mc Guckian have retired that the new breed of teachers just aren't prepared to give their time on a Saturday the way it used to be.  Years ago all football was played on a Saturday but now apart from MacRory all other football is played during the week according to the fixtures and results on the Ulster Colleges twitter and facebook.  There are also new schools coming into the colleges who probably dont want to play on a Saturday either.

They get extra money for taking the teams (a point) having them during the week is difficult to get referees to do the games

I never knew that.  Is it any wonder that they want to play games on a Saturday if they are getting a few pound for it.  How much money do they get and is this the norm across all schools in the North?  People give out so much about paying men to coach club teams and the same is going on in schools.  I can't believe all schools do this.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Line Ball on October 18, 2013, 09:51:43 PM

I never knew that.  Is it any wonder that they want to play games on a Saturday if they are getting a few pound for it.  How much money do they get and is this the norm across all schools in the North?  People give out so much about paying men to coach club teams and the same is going on in schools.  I can't believe all schools do this.

Most schools give a 'point' to teachers who take extra curricular activities outside school hours, the sum depends on their rate of pay, other teachers on here could give you the exact payment I'd say. Is it around £1800?

If I taught at a secondary school I'd love to do it, and if it meant you could do it during the working week I'd be all over it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

superbad

I know for a fact that teachers in the Abbey and colmans do not get paid for taking teams. Its part of the job. I doubt if any schools pay this. How could they differentiate between people who take football, camogie, choirs etc. The list is endless

Rawhide

Quote from: superbad on October 18, 2013, 10:00:46 PM
I know for a fact that teachers in the Abbey and colmans do not get paid for taking teams. Its part of the job. I doubt if any schools pay this. How could they differentiate between people who take football, camogie, choirs etc. The list is endless

Same with St Pats Maghera
cccc is a true supporter lol

Line Ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2013, 09:55:56 PM
Quote from: Line Ball on October 18, 2013, 09:51:43 PM

Most schools give a 'point' to teachers who take extra curricular activities outside school hours, the sum depends on their rate of pay, other teachers on here could give you the exact payment I'd say. Is it around £1800?

If I taught at a secondary school I'd love to do it, and if it meant you could do it during the working week I'd be all over it

£1800 on top of their teachers salary for training a team after school. Not bad work if you can get it.  Is this for every team in schools?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: superbad on October 18, 2013, 10:00:46 PM

I know that teachers get money for it, my wife got half a point for taking the badminton team ffs, 12 games a year. How do you know for a fact?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2013, 10:29:41 PM
Leeches.

Tell them they get money for it as a extra curricular activity ffs. It's no big deal and a lot cheaper than bringing in a coach

ONeill

Would she not do it if she wasn't getting half a point?

Line Ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2013, 10:36:08 PM
Leeches.

Tell them they get money for it as a extra curricular activity ffs. It's no big deal and a lot cheaper than bringing in a coach

£1800 is alot of coaching for any team, never mind a school team.  And if you have 4 or 5 football teams, hurling teams, camogie and then many other sports that is some amount of money a school has to pay out.  if people were doubling up with hurling and football they would be on a nice wee earner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2013, 10:39:48 PM

She did it cause she was asked, the point was a bonus. She hasn't taken the team in years now, as it wasn't worth (not monetary terms) the hassle, anyone taking the teams in schools deserves the point should they get one. You normally get extra money in any job for doing extra work, as far as I'm aware

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Line Ball on October 18, 2013, 10:47:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2013, 10:36:08 PM
Leeches.

£1800 is alot of coaching for any team, never mind a school team.  And if you have 4 or 5 football teams, hurling teams, camogie and then many other sports that is some amount of money a school has to pay out.  if people were doubling up with hurling and football they would be on a nice wee earner.

I doubt you will be doubling up, I'm not sure of the money, for some reason that's in my head, again O'Neill could tell you better

Minder

My mate teaches and takes hurling teams and doesent get any extra points.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2013, 11:08:43 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2013, 10:39:48 PM

She did it cause she was asked, the point was a bonus. She hasn't taken the team in years now, as it wasn't worth (not monetary terms) the hassle, anyone taking the teams in schools deserves the point should they get one. You normally get extra money in any job for doing extra work, as far as I'm aware

I'd have turned the point (or half) down and told them to spend the money on books.