Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any craic

Video: See all 3 goals from today's Masita GAA All Ireland Vocational Schools Semi at Enniskillen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1IKFKmSC6A&feature=youtu.be

Walter Cronc

Quote from: ranch on March 30, 2013, 06:27:44 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 30, 2013, 06:12:50 PM
Any word on the final date? So is the Colleges A and B final along with the U18 Vocational Final all played on the same day??
Colleges A and the Vocational final are usually a double header. The B final won by St Paul's last year was played in Cavan before the AI Club final replay.
I'd imagine the final is in 2 weeks time though I haven't heard for definite.

Cheers Ranch! Nice touch from Bessbrook wishing Maghera all the best today!

Rawhide

UUJ have lunched the Eamon Coleman trophy where the MacRory winners play the Vocational winners each year. Having watched both games yesterday St Pats would walk away with it, thought their was a big difference in physical size and quality
cccc is a true supporter lol

Line Ball

Well done to both teams for getting to their finals.

Can't see nothing but a Maghera win in this game.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 31, 2013, 10:15:25 PM
Quote from: Rawhide on March 31, 2013, 09:01:44 PM
UUJ have lunched the Eamon Coleman trophy where the MacRory winners play the Vocational winners each year. Having watched both games yesterday St Pats would walk away with it, thought their was a big difference in physical size and quality
In my experience I would agree that the better MacRory Cup teams (at least) would be better than those at the top of the Markey Cup. Teams in the latter don't normally have the time or resources to engage in a regime that MacRory Cup teams usually can and there is less emphasis on physical strength & conditioning with more on skill & drills. However I would regard the Markey Cup as a slightly better standard than the McLaron Cup. The better old VS Intercounty teams (there's still an Ulster provincial competition) however would certainly match those in the MacRory Cup.

Yeah I would agree that Mac Rory isn't always the best standard of football. It tends to be a war of attrition with physical size of premium importance. Perhaps the time of year doesnt lend itself to expansive football. Ulster teams do tend to play better when the shackles are off in the Hogan. Thought the double winning Colmans side played a nice brand of football.

Rawhide

Although there is always one exception to every rule,  I thought that he Holy Trinity Team last year was exceptional, would have held its own on the MacRory. Devlin and McNulty at midfield, Mullan and Cassidy in defense, Mc Geary and Mc Gahan up front
cccc is a true supporter lol

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Rawhide on March 31, 2013, 10:30:41 PM
Although there is always one exception to every rule,  I thought that he Holy Trinity Team last year was exceptional, would have held its own on the MacRory. Devlin and McNulty at midfield, Mullan and Cassidy in defense, Mc Geary and Mc Gahan up front

Was Michael Cassidy from Ardboe in that side last year? Talented lad!

ranch

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 31, 2013, 07:42:36 PM
Unlike in Co. Armagh, the VS GAA sector in Tyrone has been fairly well run (if you excuse the screw up in venues for this year's county U14 & U16 finals), and is of a good competitive standard in general. The likes of HTC or St. Ciaran's Ballygawley would perhaps find little benefit to switch bodies, especially as Holy Cross Strabane and SWC Omagh have not really done much since they switched themselves.

Yeah I actually referred to the lack of organisation within Armagh VS on here a few weeks ago. Down run their VS competitions pretty well too.
I'm not saying I think they should enter colleges football either but from what I've seen this year I certainly think they're as good, if not better, than Lurgan who won the MacLarnon. I've always enjoyed VS myself, it deserves more recognition.

Winnie Peg

What is the difference between a vocational school and a college/ grammar school? are holy Trinity School Cookstown ans Bessbrook not the same type of school? Why can there not be one for all?

dec

Who is the only player to win a MacRory cup medal and a Champions League/European Cup medal (hint, it's not Socrates)?

rodney trotter

Wildweasel74

I presume that's correct as he won 2 with forest, and had played for the derry minors, i take it Maghera won the cup on a year he was there

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 01, 2013, 09:15:16 PM
I presume that's correct as he won 2 with forest, and had played for the derry minors, i take it Maghera won the cup on a year he was there

did he not do to st.Columbs in Derry ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

NP 76

No I think it was when he was boarding at st Malachys belfast that he won it

oakleaflad

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 01, 2013, 09:21:18 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 01, 2013, 09:15:16 PM

did he not do to st.Columbs in Derry ?
I think he did Hoof