Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranch

http://www.stpaulsbessbrook.org/pastoral/admissions-policy/

Here's their admissions policy, if any of you are really that bothered about who attends St. Paul's then read away at it.

Dougal Maguire

Fair play to you line ball Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. This is how it works Kids from Culloville Crossmaglen Silverbridge Mullaghban and part of Forkhill go to Cross. They aren't allowed to go to Bessbrook. Bessbrook can only take kids from its catchment area. In the same way that St Marks Warrenpoint couldn't take a kid from Newry When it comes to A levels or the equivalent kids from the areas I mentioned can opt to go to Bessbrook as the range of A level or equivalent courses available in Cross is limited. As I understand it kids wishing to go to Bessbrook to do A levels or equivalent must have the relevant results unlike for instance St Colmans or ithe Abbey who will accept good footballers for A level regardless of exam results.
Careful now

bennydorano

Quote from: AFS on March 23, 2013, 12:54:21 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 23, 2013, 12:19:38 AM
All those areas bar Cullaville are as handy to St Pauls as to Cross & if within the same 'boundary' you're free to choose, just like a Newry nuck could choose between Abbey, Colmans or St Marys if they all adopted the all-ability ethos. There's a list of criteria on the DE website if you're interested.

It would certainly be interesting if a young fella passed over the Abbey or the College in favour of St. Mary's.
I'd say that encapsulates  the reasons that Comrade Boots & the boys hope to level the playing field & that kids are sent to their closest school (amongst equally resourced all-ability schools, where Grammars no longer exist). It'll never happen.

Orchardman

Quote from: Line Ball on March 23, 2013, 01:00:34 AM
All those areas bar Cullaville are as handy to St Pauls as to Cross & if within the same 'boundary' you're free to choose, just like a Newry nuck could choose between Abbey, Colmans or St Marys if they all adopted the all-ability ethos. There's a list of criteria on the DE website if you're interested.

So kids from Crosssmaglen can 'select'  to go to Bessbrook.  According to you they cant.

Now listen Benny, are you seriously telling me that Silverbridge and maybe Mullaghbawn are closer to Crossmaglen than Bessbrook.  Check your sat nav - I will be!

what are you on about lineball, of course silverbridge  is much closer to cross, have you got a clue at all. Mullaghbawn would be closer to mid way between the schools

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: bennydorano on March 22, 2013, 09:33:16 PM
Thats the way the Education system is supposed to work now that the Catholic Church has deemed Grammars obselete & all schools are to go down the non-selective route, you go to the school nearest you. Wether that'll ever happen is another question entirely. St Pat's Grammar in Armagh  is to go all-ability from September & it's hoped that they will act as a catalyst to spur other schools to follow.

Have to say this is the most childish thread i've read in a long time, full of nonsense.
Would I be right in thinking that less kids from Keady transfer to Armagh since Keady got its new school. If this is the case is it fair to assume that falling enrolment would also have been a factor in St Pats decision?  By the way I agree that there's a lot of uninformed nonsense being posted on this thread
Careful now

bennydorano

I wouldn't know too much about it nowadays to be honest, but Keady would have had a big impact alrite i'd imagine. When i was at St Pats we'd bigger numbers from the Portadown & Lurgan areas.

ranch

Quote from: bennydorano on March 23, 2013, 10:46:17 AM

It would certainly be interesting if a young fella passed over the Abbey or the College in favour of St. Mary's.
I'd say that encapsulates  the reasons that Comrade Boots & the boys hope to level the playing field & that kids are sent to their closest school (amongst equally resourced all-ability schools, where Grammars no longer exist). It'll never happen.

I think he was being sarcastic Benny as St. Mary's is an all girls school. The male equivalent in Newry would be St. Joseph's.

bennydorano

Quote from: ranch on March 23, 2013, 04:51:34 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 23, 2013, 10:46:17 AM

I think he was being sarcastic Benny as St. Mary's is an all girls school. The male equivalent in Newry would be St. Joseph's.
My bad. St Josephs & St Marys days as separate entities are probably numbered too.

ranch

Quote from: bennydorano on March 23, 2013, 06:30:32 PM

My bad. St Josephs & St Marys days as separate entities are probably numbered too.

Ideally they would be the one school, but I can't see any change in the near future as there's not really any real need for it.
St. Joe's caters for around 400 11-16 year old pupils whilst I'd guess St. Mary's has similar if not higher numbers and also offers A levels. If both were to amalgamate then a new site would be needed for a start as both are at opposite ends of Newry.

ranch

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 23, 2013, 06:45:40 PM
Quote from: ranch on March 23, 2013, 06:38:10 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 23, 2013, 06:30:32 PM

Ideally they would be the one school, but I can't see any change in the near future as there's not really any real need for it.
St. Joe's caters for around 400 11-16 year old pupils whilst I'd guess St. Mary's has similar if not higher numbers and also offers A levels. If both were to amalgamate then a new site would be needed for a start as both are at opposite ends of Newry.
Split site Years 8-10 in one and Years 11-14 in another?

As I've said already, there's no real need for it. Both schools are achieving well as they are and have a steady stream of pupils each year so numbers aren't an issue.

theticklemister

A new competition the Eamon Coleman cup will take place at late April consisting of the Markey and McRory winners, tis organised by UUJ

AFS

St. Michael's well beat by St. Attracta's in the B semi final. 3-10 to 0-7.

theticklemister

Quote from: AFS on March 30, 2013, 05:06:09 PM
St. Michael's well beat by St. Attracta's in the B semi final. 3-10 to 0-7.

Imagine getting beat by a team called St.Attracta's?

ranch

Quote from: theticklemister on March 30, 2013, 05:04:49 PM
A new competition the Eamon Coleman cup will take place at late April consisting of the Markey and McRory winners, tis organised by UUJ

Good idea, allows the vocational winners a chance to prove how good they are given the lack of media attention it receives in comparison to college football.

St. Mark's Warrenpoint are in the u16 All Ireland final next week too. They've a great record at that level, think they've won 4 or 5 All Ireland's in the past.

ranch

Schools Results Today
AI PP Senior C Football Final - St Augustines Dungarvan 2-8 Scoil Mhuire Strokestown 0-10

AI Col Senior A Football Semi-Finals - St.Patrick's Classical School Navan 2-07 Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne 0-11;
St.Pat's Maghera 3-08 v St.Gerald's Castlebar 1-07

AI PP Senior B Football Semi-Finals - St.Attracta's Tubbercurry 3-10 St.Michael's Lurgan 0-07;
Our Lady's Templemore 1-11 Naas CBS 0-7

AI Voc Sch A Football Semi-Finals - Cnoc Mhuire Granard 1-07 Clonakilty Community College 0-9;
Holy Trinity Cookstown 2-12 Davitt College Castlebar 1-06