Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

ranch

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 16, 2013, 12:55:23 PM
Ah it's Armaghs county ground!! I'm sure these players have had numerous games/training sessions there over the years. Anyway Maghera have won it there before and can do so again!

Really? Thanks for pointing that out to all of us. Just as well Armagh aren't playing there on Monday then.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: ranch on March 16, 2013, 07:10:37 PM
Ah it's Armaghs county ground!! I'm sure these players have had numerous games/training sessions there over the years. Anyway Maghera have won it there before and can do so again!

Really? Thanks for pointing that out to all of us. Just as well Armagh aren't playing there on Monday then.

Obv never got the sarcasm there.

Line Ball

I managed to catch a fair bit of the interviews by 5FM in both St Louis and St Pauls this week.  The difference in approach was staggering and I feel that St Louis made a much better job of showing their school in a better light.

In St Louis they let the pupils speak for themselves, visiting a number of classes live on air, talking to the kids and tachers in the classes, talking about the school and their chances in the final, as well as talking to a number of the players and management about their chances in the final.  It came across as an excellent PR event for St Louis, really selling their school and the pupils really sold their school on air.  The football people seemed focused on the game and knew alot about their opposition, happy to talk about what it meant to them all.

St Pauls on the other hand wanted to talk about anything other than the Macrory final.  They talked to very few kids throughout the show and it actually was 11.20 before they actually spoke to someone from the school even though the programme began at 10.00.  They listened to their choir and he major emphasis was the the VP who couldn't say enough about the job he was doing with his links in the primary schools and how St Pauls had such wonderful kids with all their kids coming from a particular mile radius of the school and how he used his laptop to compile a database of the talents of these pupils and then informed all teachers of the talents of these kids when they came into the school.  A few teachers mentioned the great push to 'sell' the good wishes posters put up on the poles on the way to St Pauls and I'm sure at £50 a pop that St Pauls have done well out of this!  The same was said briefly by the principal about the wonderful kids at St Pauls and by the Macrory team management who had a few words at the end but little mention of the match.

Its just amazing the difference in approach.  If had been a match, St Louis won have won hands down.

Throw ball

Line Ball I never heard the interviews so have only got your report to go on. My initial reaction would be that maybe St. Paul's are trying to stress the importance of every student in the school and not just the footballers. They may also be trying to take pressure of the young fellas.

Dougal Maguire

I didn't hear them either however your post would suggest that St Paul's gave a more rounded view of themselves while St Louis was more focused on the football.
Careful now

downtown

what time is this game at? is it on tv

Line Ball

Not at all.  St Louis let the children speak and really sold their school, St Pauls let very few people speak but tried to emphasize their wonderful kids.  It was nearly an hour and a half into the programme before he spoke to anyone at St Pauls while he went into classrooms in St Louis and all round the school.

Just thought that St Louis did it much better.

ranch

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 16, 2013, 08:38:56 PM
Quote from: ranch on March 16, 2013, 07:10:37 PM

Obv never got the sarcasm there.

Aye, obv!

ranch

Quote from: Line Ball on March 16, 2013, 09:15:52 PM
I managed to catch a fair bit of the interviews by 5FM in both St Louis and St Pauls this week.  The difference in approach was staggering and I feel that St Louis made a much better job of showing their school in a better light.

In St Louis they let the pupils speak for themselves, visiting a number of classes live on air, talking to the kids and tachers in the classes, talking about the school and their chances in the final, as well as talking to a number of the players and management about their chances in the final.  It came across as an excellent PR event for St Louis, really selling their school and the pupils really sold their school on air.  The football people seemed focused on the game and knew alot about their opposition, happy to talk about what it meant to them all.

St Pauls on the other hand wanted to talk about anything other than the Macrory final.  They talked to very few kids throughout the show and it actually was 11.20 before they actually spoke to someone from the school even though the programme began at 10.00.  They listened to their choir and he major emphasis was the the VP who couldn't say enough about the job he was doing with his links in the primary schools and how St Pauls had such wonderful kids with all their kids coming from a particular mile radius of the school and how he used his laptop to compile a database of the talents of these pupils and then informed all teachers of the talents of these kids when they came into the school.  A few teachers mentioned the great push to 'sell' the good wishes posters put up on the poles on the way to St Pauls and I'm sure at £50 a pop that St Pauls have done well out of this!  The same was said briefly by the principal about the wonderful kids at St Pauls and by the Macrory team management who had a few words at the end but little mention of the match.

Its just amazing the difference in approach.  If had been a match, St Louis won have won hands down.

I listened to both and it was the interviewer who first mentioned to Jarlath Burns if there was a 'plan' in place to target good footballers when they're in primary school. He then explained that it was his job to work with local primary schools to find out the abilities of each child, not just football talents but music, art etc.
He was basically getting across that the school isn't just all about the footballers.

I should also say that St. Louis also came across very well.
Two good schools and although I'd like to see Lurgan win the MacLarnon from an Armagh perspective, I'll also be happy for St. Louis if they win it.

Oraisteach

ranch, when is the match, and is it on tv or radio?

ranch

Quote from: Oraisteach on March 17, 2013, 03:35:35 PM
ranch, when is the match, and is it on tv or radio?

1.15pm tomorrow on BBC television.

Line Ball

Late show undoes Ulster Colleges' great showing in Croke Cup

March 16, 2013

Croke Cup quarter-finals

Ulster Colleges 1-14 Connacht Mercy Colleges 2-12

Inexperience, not hurling ability, is why Ulster Colleges are not preparing for a Croke Cup semi-final with holders Kilkenny CBS next Saturday.

They managed to lose a game they were in control of and indeed at times dominated by not putting Mercy Colleges from Connacht away when they were 8 points up with less than 20 minutes to play.

Add in a couple of very harsh refereeing decsions in injury time and the full disappointment of an excellent effort at Ashbourne on Saturday is realised.

This is a game Ulster should not have lost.  But there were periods at the start and end where a little more experience at this level of competition could have taken them across the line and allowed them to build on the experience.

The team seemed very nervous for the first 15 minutes and took a long time to settle into any real pattern of play.  During the second quarter though they were dominant and began to play some excellent hurling, epitomised by a point taken by Eamon Kearns that came at the end of 4 super passes into space that players had created, leaving Kearns with a clear target from 40 metres out.

We led by double scores at the break 0-10 to 0-5, with 6 super frees from Mattie Lennon.  Conor Johnson had a brilliant half, taking two excellent points but opening up play with his speed and awareness.

Midfield was fairly crowded at times, but the physical strength of the northerners gave them the upperhand, while the defence had by now taken control and didn't look as if it could be breached.

Within 15 seconds of the re-start, Domhnall Nugent fired home a goal.  Although Flynn hit back with two points, Lennon from a free and a 65 left his side 1-12 to 0-7 ahead after 42 minutes.

The next 10 minutes was probably where the game was lost – and more experience at this level could have helped with the decision-making.

In the 44th minute, two Ulster defenders committed to a high delivery that went over both leaving dangerman Flynn with a clear run on goal.  That score was a turning-point as it gave Mercy Colleges hope they hadn't had up until now.

It also panicked Ulster a little.  Although Lennon slotted over a free in response, Chris Egan had a couple of great runs on goal that should have delivered at least 2 points.  A couple of handy frees were conceeded at the back and Mercy edged closer.

Ulster still led by 1-14 to 1-11 entering injury time, when referee David Hughes award Mercy a 21 metres free when Conor O'Neill looked to have fairly tackled Eoin Morrissey.  It was a contentious decision.  Jason Flynn levelled the tie by burying the free.

From the puck-out, Lorcán McMullan, one of the Ulster side's top-performers, was clearly tripped as he went clear.  Referee Hughes waved play on and the sliotar was picked up by Shane Caulfield who launched a massive strike from 90 metres that sailed over the bar to break Ulster hearts.

Ulster proved that they had prepared well enough to compete on an equal footing at this level.  However they hesitated a little when exposed to the white heat of competition and ultimately fell on that sword.

I have no doubt in my mind that, had they survived here, their semi-final performance would have been turbo-charged by the confidence that comes with victory.  Sadly that notion will not be proven for another 12 months at least.

Ulster team : Colin Hayden (St Killian's Garron Tower), Tomas Ó Ciaráin (St Mary's CBGS), Rian Brannigan (St Colman's Newry), Maol Connolly (St Killian's), Conor Costello (Aquinas), Conor O Neill (St Patrick's Downpatrick), Paddy Burke (St Killian's), Lorcán McMullan (Knock) 0-2, Chris Egan (Knock), Conor Johnson (St Mary's CBGS) 0-2, Ryan McCambridge (CPC Ballycastle), Eoghan Campbell (CPC Ballycastle), Mattie Lennon (St Patrick's Armagh) 0-9, 0-8 frees, 0-1 65, Domhnall Nugent (La Salle) 1-0, Eamon Kearns (St Killian's) 0-1.

Subs : Subs : Eoghan Sands (St Patrick's Downpatrick) for D Nugent (42), John McManus (St Patrick's Downpatrick) for P Burke (54), Pearse óg McCrickard (St Colman's Newry) for R McCambridge (57), John McGoldrick (St Patrick's Belfast) for M Connolly (57).

Subs not used : Daniel Doran, Brooke Byres, Caolan Taggart (all St Patrick's Downpatrick), Paddy McBride (CPC Ballycastle), Declan Traynor (St Louis Ballymena), Gerard Walsh (St Mary's CBGS), Ryan McNulty (Rathmore Grammar), Ruari Devlin (St Patrick's Academy), Daniel Mone (St Patrick's Keady), Cormac Ross (St Malachy's Belfast), Christy McNaughton (St Killian's).

Mercy : Cathal Touhy, Stephen Pierce, Conor Nevin, Ronan Fahy, Oisin Coyle, Shane Caulfield 0-1, Peter English, Martin O'Brien 0-2, Luke Uniacke, Kevin McHugo, Daniel Sweeney, Jason Flynn 2-9, 1-7 frees, 0-1 65, Geroid Loughnane, Eoin Morrisey, Cormac Dillon.

Subs : Cathal Kelly for C Dillon (25), conor Gardiner for G Loughnane (38).

Referee : David Hughes.

No luck to the Ulster team and fair play to all the men who put so much into this team.

That must have been some point for a young lad to score from distance - 90 metres?