Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranch

Quote from: Orchardman on March 04, 2013, 07:28:23 PM
Quote from: Line Ball on March 04, 2013, 12:35:35 AM
Why would any school use selection as a means of motivation?  That is just clean mad! 

Whats coming across in the interviews after the games is that St Pauls are attempting to display a siege mentality – that everybody is against them !  Now they are up against a school with a similar admissions policy as themselves.  What are they going to use as motivation now?

I attended a non selective and have since taught in a couple, and I honestly hope St pauls win it as it is a fine school. But I agree with you in regards to any interviews I have seen this year on the ulster colleges website, which there have been plenty. Every time Jerome quinn asks a question there is a pile of talk about representing a great bunch of kids who other schools turn away. This is grand but i must have heard it 6 or 7 times at this stage. There shouldn't be any inferior or siege mentality, St Paul's has around 1600 pupils( yes, half of them are girls, just like maghera), with the main pick of south armagh! Yes it's the first year in the cup i know but I am glad to see them there and great to see them beat st colmans and abbey.

Probably not the thread for this but I think the N.I system is fine as it is, St colmans and abbey in newry are 2 fine school's as they are, and St Paul's is a fine comprehensive school, the government have plans ahead about trying to change it but I can't see it.

Slight exaggeration, 1200 would be closer to the truth.
Also, St. Paul's picks from a large part of south Armagh and the outskirts of Newry, but it should be considered how many pupils pass it every morning on the way to Newry. Pupils from Forkhill, Mullabawan, Silverbridge, Cullyhanna, Dorsey, Cross and Cullaville would usually go to St. Joseph's Crossmaglen as well if they don't attend a grammar school, with only very few going to St. Paul's (with some more for A Levels).

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 04, 2013, 11:04:14 PM
Methinks the debate which Rafferty's comments has started would suggest he's winning the mind games

He's not playing mind games.

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 04, 2013, 08:09:10 PM

Totally agree orchardman. As an ex Maghera man I'm very proud to have come through the comp system but I never once have looked negatively towards St Mary's Magherafelt. It's not an issue in St Pats. We are proud of who we are and don't worry about other schools. By constantly mentioning it Rafferty is actually giving these kids a complex!

I don't see how Rafferty's comments could suggest the pupils of St. Paul's are any different?

rodney trotter

Quote from: hardstation on March 05, 2013, 12:10:33 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on March 05, 2013, 12:05:07 AM
Quote from: hardstation on March 04, 2013, 11:54:00 PM
Asked a boy this evening what the story is with Bessbrook i.e a one off great squad of players or will they stay in the top flight for a while. He toul me that they play B football in every other grade and seems to think they'll want to return to McLarnon after this year. I asked him would they be able to return to McLarnon next year if they win the MacRory final or would they have to defend their title (even though it won't be with the same players). He reckoned they will have a hard time getting back into B football next year but still thought they would be pushing for it.

I'll be supporting them anyway. Great to see a team like that coming up and getting a rattle at it.

Any reason why they don't play Macrory as knock out? - the League basis before christmass leaves players with no competitive football after December, if their team doesn't reach the quarter final.

Works in Leinster, College Level - Ryan Cup etc.
Not sure what you mean here. Having a knock out would mean some teams would have 1 match in the year. Not great.

Missing the point, I mean play a league and see whoever wins that. Like they do in Leinster, split into North and South Leinster and then all the Leinster teams are in the one draw for the Championship. They all get  competitive games in the League and then the Championship starts in Feburay.

theticklemister

This thread reminds of me when playing for Magee against Derry tech. The tech were beating us when one of our players shouted out..........

'ah come on day f**k boys, we're getting beat by a bunch of lads who dont have an A Level between them!!'

Dougal Maguire

St Joes got £250,000 last year for the provision of a new full size GAA pitch. It will be officially opened later this year. It means that for the first time the school will be able to play home matches on its own pitch. Delighted for them 
Careful now

NP 76

Yes saw that Dougal fair play to them but only for the College giving them ground to expand it wouldnt of had the room so fair play to them also not all bad !!

naka

Quote from: hardstation on March 04, 2013, 11:54:00 PM
Asked a boy this evening what the story is with Bessbrook i.e a one off great squad of players or will they stay in the top flight for a while. He toul me that they play B football in every other grade and seems to think they'll want to return to McLarnon after this year. I asked him would they be able to return to McLarnon next year if they win the MacRory final or would they have to defend their title (even though it won't be with the same players.

would be disappointed if this happened,
they should stay at that level for a while even if they dont have a chance of winning it
i dont like the idea of teams joining a competition only when they think they can win it( st louis a few years ago)
jez in armagh cross have won 18 titles but there are still temas who every year for the last is have stood their ground

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: NP 76 on March 05, 2013, 08:21:07 AM
Yes saw that Dougal fair play to them but only for the College giving them ground to expand it wouldnt of had the room so fair play to them also not all bad !!
As far as I know the land belonged to the Parish rather than the College. But regardless it's great to see St Joes get. Full size pitch and hopefully success on the pitch will follow
Careful now

Wildweasel74

the age different is u18 to u181/2 not u-19 that some people are making out. It allows anyone within that final school year the ability to play football for the school. there were plenty at my school who couldn't play minor football for their county or club with me but still could play at colleges level.

ross4life

What's the low-down on St Joseph's Donaghmore?  they play Strokestown this Saturday in All Ireland C semi final.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

our_fella

"i dont like the idea of teams joining a competition only when they think they can win it( st louis a few years ago)"

Naka, why wouldnt St.Louis return to the B comp?

In 2004 they won the MacLarnon and the B All-Ireland. In the next 3 years they competed in 2 MacRory finals and 1 Semi.. Take into consideration that they have about 25-30 players whom they can call upon on their panel?

naka

I feel that if you step up you take the good with the bad
Save for maghera/ college schools most of the other sides only have a smattering of titles.
But Omagh/abbey/ st mickeys etc would never think of regrading even when they have no chance in the competition

our_fella

Omagh having no chance in the competition?

Take a day off naka

ranch

I don't know why people keep talking about St. Paul's dropping down to McLarnon.

Rafferty said little over a week ago that he intends on keeping St. Paul's in the MacRory as too many good players had passed through the school and missed out on the opportunity in the past.

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

naka

Quote from: our_fella on March 06, 2013, 10:57:54 PM
Omagh having no chance in the competition?

Take a day off naka
yes when omagh had no chance
i played mc crory for 3 years in the 80s( actually have a medal 8)) and omagh were whipping boys then
in fact it was as it is now college and maghera who were the serious contenders year in year out
never played for either