Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

It's like Kilkeel all over again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Any craic

Here's the second goal, even better than the first, by Conor Nugent, classy wee turn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=102xYLUhuc0

Dougal Maguire

McLarnon and Macrory finals scheduled for Athletic Grounds on 18 March starting at 1.15
Careful now

DuffleKing

Makes sense.

Odd plating them both at the same time though. Space will be at a premium

ranch

Quote from: ONeill on February 27, 2013, 11:42:57 PM
It's like Kilkeel all over again.

St. Louis had been competing at college B level for quite a while had they not though?

St. Paul's were competing in Vocational Schools as recently as 07/08. Indeed that was the first year St. Paul's even entered an u18 side into the Markey Cup as our year group was the first to have enough lads stay on at the school.
Unfortunately we lost out on that occasion to St. Malachy's Castlewellan in the semi final, 3-12 to 3-09. Castlewellan then went on to clinch the u18 All Ireland with relative ease if I remember correctly.

theticklemister

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 27, 2013, 11:50:37 PM
McLarnon and Macrory finals scheduled for Athletic Grounds on 18 March starting at 1.15

Joking aside Dougal; is that true?

It was put down for Celtic Park this year. They must have lost it.

Dougal Maguire

I read it last night on the St Paul's Facebook site
Careful now

Walter Cronc

Quote from: theticklemister on February 28, 2013, 07:54:14 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 27, 2013, 11:50:37 PM

Joking aside Dougal; is that true?

It was put down for Celtic Park this year. They must have lost it.

Yeah I remember reading in a Derry report that it was to be in Celtic Park. With the GAA congress and AI Feile being held in the county I think it would be a great idea to have the Colleges finals there. In saying that if it is Colmans/St Pauls it makes sense to have it in the Athletic grounds. Thats some going from Bessbrook to come from Vocational to Colleges in a few short years. Is this just a special group (like Kilkeel) or is the tide turning in south Armagh where lads who previously went to Colmans/Abbey are now heading to St Pauls??

Any craic

The game last night was a seriously high standard. See these scores from the first-half - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlvyG9RE_qY&feature=youtu.be

DuffleKing

What has changed is that in the last number of years incoming principal Oliver Mooney (Cullaville) put sport and football in particular at the level of focus that it should be for a school of that size and demographic.

Inexplicably, until recent developments with staff and coaching priorities football was largely ignored. You can imagine the sort of playing resources that would always have been available to a school which the overwhelming majority of males in s armagh would have attended. That the only school teams taken semi seriously for decades were soccer teams was such a waste. There is an extensive list of future armagh greats who went thru st pauls but many woukdnt even have seen a GAA jersey in their time.

Now they have started to harness that talent they will have the same potential as a school like maghera on an ongoing basis.

Traditionally any decent s armagh footballer who could get in would have travelled to colmans or abbey but if st pauls are starting to be seen on a footballing par with those schools that may begin to change

Walter Cronc

How many attend the school? Always like to see co-ed schools doing well. The all boys schools have a major advantage! Colmans and Abbey wont like these 'noisy neighbours'... If only Maghera had the coaching resources available to St Pauls  :-\

DuffleKing

Rafferty and O'Rourke seem to have done a hell of a job and not just at MacRory level if stories are to be believed. Also last night there seemed to be any numbet of other fellas around the team at different stages - other teachers I presume

Feckitt

Does anyone know if St Josephs secondary in Newry play Gaelic Football, are are they all wasted to soccer like St Paul's teams of the past?

5 Sams

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 28, 2013, 10:19:48 AM

Rafferty and O'Rourke seem to have done a hell of a job and not just at MacRory level if stories are to be believed. Also last night there seemed to be any numbet of other fellas around the team at different stages - other teachers I presume

You'd imagine Jarlath would some sort of influence on football matters in the school as well. It would be crazy not to have him involved at some level.
The Aristocrat Years

ziggy90

I watched some of that game last night (very one sided first half), what was the final score? I also didn't realise these games were so well attended, 2000 plus?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered