Standard of Refs

Started by guevara, July 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2024, 04:46:42 PM1. The quality of the rule book.

Yes definitely needs looked at and simplified 

2. Knowledge of the rules for all involved.

The biggest bugbear of mine, classic example of a senior player asking me the rules at the game at the weekend. If the players are struggling with the rules what chance have ya? 

3. Respect towards officials.

I get, give respect get respect but I've yet to see a referee running around the pitch complaining about a tackle  not given as a foul the whole match, reverse that and you can understand why no one is putting their hand up to ref

4. Quality of refereeing.

fix the first few issues and the quality might get a lot better, as it will have a knock on affect

5. Assistance for referees in so form be it technology, number of officials or the development of an elite unit properly remunerated.

Better Tech will only be available at 1% percent of the associations games, i.e Intercounty level, not grassroots, more officials? can't get them unless the first few are fixed, so I doubt it, and more officials on the pitch means different opinions on the rules lol! As for the development of elite refs, they do have an extensive training program to be fair to them, and its never about the money, anyone taking up the whistle needs their head looked at if they are doing it for a few quid!

I think there's considerable overlap and you can't improve one with out tackling the others. I also don't think you neglect the highest levels of officiating because you can't replicate it at the lower levels. This shouldn't be a lowest common denominator thing.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Milltown Row2

Quote from: David McKeown on April 10, 2024, 10:20:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2024, 04:46:42 PM1. The quality of the rule book.

Yes definitely needs looked at and simplified 

2. Knowledge of the rules for all involved.

The biggest bugbear of mine, classic example of a senior player asking me the rules at the game at the weekend. If the players are struggling with the rules what chance have ya? 

3. Respect towards officials.

I get, give respect get respect but I've yet to see a referee running around the pitch complaining about a tackle  not given as a foul the whole match, reverse that and you can understand why no one is putting their hand up to ref

4. Quality of refereeing.

fix the first few issues and the quality might get a lot better, as it will have a knock on affect

5. Assistance for referees in so form be it technology, number of officials or the development of an elite unit properly remunerated.

Better Tech will only be available at 1% percent of the associations games, i.e Intercounty level, not grassroots, more officials? can't get them unless the first few are fixed, so I doubt it, and more officials on the pitch means different opinions on the rules lol! As for the development of elite refs, they do have an extensive training program to be fair to them, and its never about the money, anyone taking up the whistle needs their head looked at if they are doing it for a few quid!

I think there's considerable overlap and you can't improve one with out tackling the others. I also don't think you neglect the highest levels of officiating because you can't replicate it at the lower levels. This shouldn't be a lowest common denominator thing.

No, and things are different at certain grounds which have Hawkeye (when it works) plus come club championship linesmen fourth officials are made available, but the nuts and bolts of that link in Wexford are simply saying the grass root games at under age level are unable to be officiated because clubs are unable to get ref's.

That's not down to not trying to improve things at intercounty level which only looks after the 1% club.

As you say plenty of overlapping issues which could solve other problems like recruitment, retaining ref's, skill knowledge fitness and ability to apply the rules.

Numbers down in Antrim with regards to recruitment, not uncommon last year to do either a minor and senior game same day or senior and reserve game straight after.

Not an entirely inviting prospect 😂
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Problem is, they keep tweaking rules nearly every 2/3yrs. Meaning club players don't keep track of changes. Supporters likewise,and I can't be bothered to read the rulebook, it was vague enough when I was playing.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 10, 2024, 11:06:51 PMProblem is, they keep tweaking rules nearly every 2/3yrs. Meaning club players don't keep track of changes. Supporters likewise,and I can't be bothered to read the rulebook, it was vague enough when I was playing.

There's some bog standard life long rules that people struggle with. If that was the main reason we'd be ok
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter White

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 10, 2024, 04:51:35 PMOn point 2, I would make it compulsory everyone who receives a red card will not be eligible to play until they sit a rule test and get at least 80%.

I would make the standard referee test compulsory for every member registering via Foireann. With Referees having to get 80+%, Players should have to get 70%, normal members 60%. At the very least, it may force spectators to actually read the rule book in some sort of depth. I too have players querying the rules after games. Currently, the most common is the 4 step rule after an unclaimed mark.

JoG2

Quote from: Walter White on April 10, 2024, 11:12:09 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 10, 2024, 04:51:35 PMOn point 2, I would make it compulsory everyone who receives a red card will not be eligible to play until they sit a rule test and get at least 80%.

I would make the standard referee test compulsory for every member registering via Foireann. With Referees having to get 80+%, Players should have to get 70%, normal members 60%. At the very least, it may force spectators to actually read the rule book in some sort of depth. I too have players querying the rules after games. Currently, the most common is the 4 step rule after an unclaimed mark.

Players 70% and ref's 80%...are you serious? Surely people know the rules of their games, never mind refs? At most there's a tweak here and there, it's not hard to keep up, surely?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on April 10, 2024, 11:43:02 PM

Players 70% and ref's 80%...are you serious? Surely people know the rules of their games, never mind refs? At most there's a tweak here and there, it's not hard to keep up, surely?

I'm not sure I can send a link to the tests on the GAA website, but go and give it a try if you can get on.. 50 questions in 30 minutes,  give it a try, let me know how you do

JoG2

TOBAR? what section? It's a minefield in there

tonto1888

do people seriously ant to test players before letting them play?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on April 11, 2024, 09:23:55 AMTOBAR? what section? It's a minefield in there

Its a proper minefield lol!

Pass that alone and you're doing alright lol

I'll try and dig out the pathway for it

general_lee

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 11, 2024, 09:25:19 AMdo people seriously ant to test players before letting them play?
Could be counterproductive. Imagine the rows and fallouts that might develop with players having to remind referees of the rules or pointing out every mistake or inadvertent error they make. They're only human at the end of the day and sometimes prone to making the odd gaffe.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on April 11, 2024, 09:52:26 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 11, 2024, 09:25:19 AMdo people seriously ant to test players before letting them play?
Could be counterproductive. Imagine the rows and fallouts that might develop with players having to remind referees of the rules or pointing out every mistake or inadvertent error they make. They're only human at the end of the day and sometimes prone to making the odd gaffe.

They do anyways

tonto1888

Its a sure fire way to drive people away from the game. I can see an argument for coaches though but if you tell 16 years olds they cant play until they do a test theyll go to another sport

twohands!!!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2024, 09:08:47 AM

It's clear that a vast percentage of people including players/mamagers/pundits/spectators have a very poor knowledge of the rules. I've been at multiple matches where people shouting at the ref clearly don't know the rules. Most of the time I stay schtum but on occasion I've shut a few up by shouting the actual rule at them and why the ref made the correct decision.

If you ask GAA people (outside referees) how many of them have ever read the GAA rulebook (I've done this a fair bit over the years) chances are you will only find a tiny fraction of a percentage who have ever read it. Then of those who have ever read it, the amount who have read the most up-to-date version is close to zero.

I never read it myself until after I stopped playing and I would say that it the case for the overwhelming majority of players. The GAA could help out massively if they put a proper system in place to educate people (especially players) on the rules as they currently stand.

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2024, 10:03:34 AM

They do anyways
Well imagine that x10  :D