Tyrone   5   2   0   3   74   81   4
   Monaghan   5   2   0   3   76   84   4
   Donegal   5   1   1   3   58   76   3

Next round of fixtures is as follows:

Armagh v Galway
Kerry v Roscommon
Monaghan v Tyrone
Donegal v Mayo

I think Kerry will beat Roscommon at home but the other games are all difficult to predict. Armagh and Galway will both want to guarantee their safety with a win. If Armagh lose they could go into the last game in Omagh needing points to stay up, which is definitely not ideal. The loser of Monaghan v Tyrone will also be in grave danger of relegation. Mayo are the only side guaranteed safety and subconsciously you would imagine that they are already in championship preparation mode. Donegal are playing them at a good time and they are difficult to beat in Ballybofey so it would not surprise me if Donegal won that match.

One thing for sure is that this might be the most open championship race we have had for about a decade. Kerry are probably still out in front in terms of their scoring threat and squad depth but they certainly don't look as capable of dominating as Dublin were in their pomp.

Donegal have never lost i believe to Mayo in Ballybofey.

We lost to Mayo in Ballybofey in 2018 when Kevin McLoughlin scored a goal to get the draw and to relegate us.  :( :( :(

This post doesn't make a lick of sense especially when you consider the score that day was 0-13 to 0-13.

StephenC

Quote from: blanketattack on March 08, 2023, 02:05:57 PM
Quote from: StephenC on March 08, 2023, 09:14:50 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on March 07, 2023, 04:53:25 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 07, 2023, 02:52:00 PM
   Mayo   5   3   2   0   92   73   8
   Roscommon   5   3   0   2   72   68   6
   Galway   5   2   2   1   66   58   6
   Armagh   5   2   1   2   70   69   5
   Kerry   5   2   0   3   77   76   4

Armagh v Galway
Kerry v Roscommon
Monaghan v Tyrone
Donegal v Mayo

I think Kerry will beat Roscommon at home but the other games are all difficult to predict. Armagh and Galway will both want to guarantee their safety with a win. If Armagh lose they could go into the last game in Omagh needing points to stay up, which is definitely not ideal. The loser of Monaghan v Tyrone will also be in grave danger of relegation. Mayo are the only side guaranteed safety and subconsciously you would imagine that they are already in championship preparation mode. Donegal are playing them at a good time and they are difficult to beat in Ballybofey so it would not surprise me if Donegal won that match.

One thing for sure is that this might be the most open championship race we have had for about a decade. Kerry are probably still out in front in terms of their scoring threat and squad depth but they certainly don't look as capable of dominating as Dublin were in their pomp.

We lost to Mayo in Ballybofey in 2018 when Kevin McLoughlin scored a goal to get the draw and to relegate us.  :( :( :(

This post doesn't make a lick of sense especially when you consider the score that day was 0-13 to 0-13.

It's not complicated. We had to beat Mayo to stay up in the division. We were at home in our 'fortress'. We were 3 points up with seconds to go. We got relegated. No matter the score line there was a winner and a loser that day and it was the Mayo folks driving home smiling. So yes it was a draw, but it was really a loss.

blanketattack

Quote from: StephenC on March 08, 2023, 03:49:19 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on March 08, 2023, 02:05:57 PM
Quote from: StephenC on March 08, 2023, 09:14:50 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on March 07, 2023, 04:53:25 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 07, 2023, 02:52:00 PM
   Mayo   5   3   2   0   92   73   8
   Roscommon   5   3   0   2   72   68   6
   Galway   5   2   2   1   66   58   6
   Armagh   5   2   1   2   70   69   5
   Kerry   5   2   0   3   77   76   4

Armagh v Galway
Kerry v Roscommon
Monaghan v Tyrone
Donegal v Mayo

It's not complicated. We had to beat Mayo to stay up in the division. We were at home in our 'fortress'. We were 3 points up with seconds to go. We got relegated. No matter the score line there was a winner and a loser that day and it was the Mayo folks driving home smiling. So yes it was a draw, but it was really a loss.

It was the scoring a goal to equalise in a 0-13 a piece draw that particularly didn't make sense.

Never beat the deeler

Mayo and Donegal have lost the same number of games at Ballybofey in the last 15 years!
Hasta la victoria siempre

blanketattack

From @statsandsolos on Twitter - probability survival % for different points.

Basically if you finish on 5 pts you'll be relegated, if you finish on 6 pts you're probably safe.

APM

Thought I'd resurrect the Division 1 thread. Six days and no posts - seems to be more interest in town squares, gender neutrality and landlordism :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0f8sdqc

Interesting week for Shane Walsh to go on the GAA Social.

seafoid

Monaghan v Tyrone is a relegation 4 pointer.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: APM on March 15, 2023, 04:04:02 PM
Thought I'd resurrect the Division 1 thread. Six days and no posts - seems to be more interest in town squares, gender neutrality and landlordism :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0f8sdqc

Interesting week for Shane Walsh to go on the GAA Social.
It's only a league match, would be surprising to see it the week of a Championship match maybe.

seafoid

There are 3 teams on 4 plus Donegal on 3.
I assume that Kerry will be on 6 on Sunday evening.

That leaves Tyrone and Monaghan who are playing each other for 2 points.
Afterwards Monaghan have Mayo and
Tyrone have Armagh
Donegal have Mayo and Roscommon

It's going to be very interesting.

seafoid

Dhera

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/03/15/tomas-o-se-not-concerned-about-kerrys-start-to-the-season/

Tomás Ó Sé is not about to fret over Kerry's middling start to the 2023 season.
The Kingdom have lost three of their opening five league games, but Ó Sé does not foresee Jack O'Connor's men sliding out of Division One. They have Roscommon and Galway to play in their remaining two matches and after that the focus will turn to championship. And come championship, Kerry will be ready.
"Kerry have the National League and they will then have a break to championship. And there are teams all over the country that don't have the gap Kerry do," says Ó Sé.
"Is it fair? I don't think it's fair but that's the way the provincial championship is and that is the argument that is always there.

illdecide

I have a feeling for Galway this year for the All Ireland...It's wide open and TBH 50% of teams in Div 1 and top 2 in Div 2 have a chance of winning it. Very open this year and Galway have the players to do it.
As of this weekend I fear for Armagh...if we're beat tomorrow against Galway Tyrone could realastically relegate us the following Sunday, I suppose from an Armagh point of view we will want Tyrone to beat Monaghan this weekend and Mayo to beat Donegal which keeps us safe for another year but them two matches could easily go the other way. It's exciting that it's going down to the last game but not good for the nerves...All this talk about Mayo, Rossies and Galway not wanting to play in league decider due to Championship the following weeks hopefully is not true and they go out to perform as in previous rounds...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Blowitupref

Quote from: illdecide on March 17, 2023, 12:22:15 PM
I have a feeling for Galway this year for the All Ireland...It's wide open and TBH 50% of teams in Div 1 and top 2 in Div 2 have a chance of winning it. Very open this year and Galway have the players to do it.
As of this weekend I fear for Armagh...if we're beat tomorrow against Galway Tyrone could realastically relegate us the following Sunday, I suppose from an Armagh point of view we will want Tyrone to beat Monaghan this weekend and Mayo to beat Donegal which keeps us safe for another year but them two matches could easily go the other way. It's exciting that it's going down to the last game but not good for the nerves...All this talk about Mayo, Rossies and Galway not wanting to play in league decider due to Championship the following weeks hopefully is not true and they go out to perform as in previous rounds...

Galway won't mind a league final with a gap between the final and the start of their first championship game.  For finals to retain next year the pre season comps will have to be scrapped with the NFL to start early Jan instead.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 17, 2023, 01:03:38 PM

Galway won't mind a league final with a gap between the final and the start of their first championship game.  For finals to retain next year the pre season comps will have to be scrapped with the NFL to start early Jan instead.
I don't think it's far to county teams to move the start into Jan when county championships have not been rationalised.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on March 17, 2023, 01:06:58 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on March 17, 2023, 01:03:38 PM

I don't think it's far to county teams to move the start into Jan when county championships have not been rationalised.

club matches need to be finished in a calendar year. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Agreed Blowitup.
Probably need a cut off date for Co Finals to be enforced then. If you're not finished by such a date then you can't partake.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM