East wall #Irelandisfull

Started by Truth hurts, January 04, 2023, 11:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Agree with a lot  of that , Rudi

It's unfortunate the situation Ukrainians find themselves  in , but many thousands are here. And while  a lot of them may well be in sub standard accommodations,  it's a hell of a lot better  than it is for the many homeless Irish people living on the street,  and I don't see the same effort  being made to help them

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on January 04, 2023, 02:22:27 PM

It's unfortunate the situation Ukrainians find themselves  in , but many thousands are here. And while  a lot of them may well be in sub standard accommodations,  it's a hell of a lot better  than it is for the many homeless Irish people living on the street,  and I don't see the same effort  being made to help them

Some would say living on the street is a choice for a lot of people
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

That's a talking point you hear a lot in the US too.

So are those who oppose the accommodating of asylum seekers on those grounds actually involved in helping the homeless in Ireland?

What do the homeless advocacy charities and organizations have to say about refugees?

Rudi

Quote from: AustinPowers on January 04, 2023, 02:22:27 PM

I would agree to a point, a fair lot of our homeless are drug addicts who dont want to be helped or housed.
I wonder what FrPeter McVery makes of the whole situation.

general_lee

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2023, 02:29:53 PM

So are those who oppose the accommodating of asylum seekers on those grounds actually involved in helping the homeless in Ireland?

What do the homeless advocacy charities and organizations have to say about refugees?
I encounter a lot of homeless in Belfast and the reality is most, if not all, have a roof over their head if they so wish. a lot are suffering addiction and to score the next hit they need to be out on the streets after curfew.

Blowitupref

The latest Census showed 166,752 vacant properties in Ireland. Yet it's full?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rudi

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 04, 2023, 02:55:57 PM

In terms of essential resources the country is full. Many classes in schools exceeding the teacher pupil ratio of 1 : 30. Ratio of GP to patient ratio exceeded, lack of hospital beds. Ratio of Police to ordinary civilian ratio exceeded.
Our sewage / drinking water supplies are exceeded. Social workers for peoples mental health etc etc, trains, buses. Your not looking at the full picture, looking at a very small picture.
I would question whats classed as a vacant property, many of these are probably not fit for purpose & you can't force someone to rent / sell their property.
You also need social areas, gyms, swimming pools, meeting rooms, otherwise people will go mad & partake in anti social activity.

Walter Cronc

East Wall (and others) is FG infiltration of the working class to take attention away from the real issues!

Milltown Row2

A lot of things can/should be done, a simple assessment should have been carried out and people allocated to areas that could facilitate the numbers being brought in, once that was reached then unfortunately it wasn't viable for either the Ukrainians or the towns and cities to help them better

Any illegals should be interviewed and assessed, if they are genuine refugees then they should be catered for, any chancers should be given the options of going home or stay and contribute to the area, jobs, paying taxes and so on.

Ireland has thousands of people that have left this place and contributed to other countries over the years, why can't we do the same
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rudi on January 04, 2023, 03:20:22 PM

In terms of essential resources the country is full. Many classes in schools exceeding the teacher pupil ratio of 1 : 30. Ratio of GP to patient ratio exceeded, lack of hospital beds. Ratio of Police to ordinary civilian ratio exceeded.
Our sewage / drinking water supplies are exceeded. Social workers for peoples mental health etc etc, trains, buses. Your not looking at the full picture, looking at a very small picture.
I would question whats classed as a vacant property, many of these are probably not fit for purpose & you can't force someone to rent / sell their property.
You also need social areas, gyms, swimming pools, meeting rooms, otherwise people will go mad & partake in anti social activity.

A lot of those things you outline has been a issue on this island for decades. Not near full just a poorly run country.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

AustinPowers

Quote from: general_lee on January 04, 2023, 02:34:56 PM

I encounter a lot of homeless in Belfast and the reality is most, if not all, have a roof over their head if they so wish. a lot are suffering addiction and to score the next hit they need to be out on the streets after curfew.

Yes I suppose a  lot of them are addict s, but some maybe lost a job/divorced etc  and couldn't afford astronomical rents  on their own

I suppose  solving the drug  crisis is another matter entirely though. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on January 04, 2023, 03:46:57 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 04, 2023, 02:34:56 PM

Yes I suppose a  lot of them are addict s, but some maybe lost a job/divorced etc  and couldn't afford astronomical rents  on their own

I suppose  solving the drug  crisis is another matter entirely though.

Its drugs and alcohol, not getting divorced or losing jobs

Rudi

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 04, 2023, 03:44:39 PM
Quote from: Rudi on January 04, 2023, 03:20:22 PM

A lot of those things you outline has been a issue on this island for decades. Not near full just a poorly run country.

But its not going to change ..........
This poor lady should not have died

https://gript.ie/where-is-the-national-outcry-over-aoife-johnstons-death-at-a-limerick-hospital/

whitey

Just out of curiosity, has anyone one here ever rented out a property they own?

Was your experience good, bad or neutral?

(I'm just curious as to why there's 166K vacant properties in a country with a housing shortage)

shark

Quote from: whitey on January 04, 2023, 04:01:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone one here ever rented out a property they own?

Was your experience good, bad or neutral?

(I'm just curious as to why there's 166K vacant properties in a country with a housing shortage)

I did. Bought an apartment in Dublin , and lived in it. Went abroad for a while so rented it out. When I came back I moved back in with my wife, once the 5 months (I think) notice period had passed. Tenant had left the place in rag order. C'est la vie. Moved out again as we needed more space. Didn't bother renting it out for about 18 months before eventually deciding to sell it. Left money on the table , but not that much. And I just couldn't have been bothered being a landlord. Would probably make more long term sense to hold on it it ; but it's a pain in the hole.
(Also, the highest bidder - who we obviously sold to - was a Cypriot based institutional investor)