FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

All the talk is that Vera Pauw is going.
Some are going mad over player power but the likes of that piece with The Athletic just before they left wasn't great.
Then you leave players behind in favour of newbies who didn't always perform.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

From the Bunker

Pauw got us there. You won't make an omelette with out cracking eggs.

She has to go now. It's a uphill media battle no matter what she has achieved.

seafoid

If they do get rid of her the players will need to deliver.
It's like Anthony Cunningham v the Galway hurlers. In-game tactical flexibility would be a weakness, same as Cunningham.

Captain Scarlet

I know you have to give her credit in the bank but I do think that they just didn't work together over such a long period in camp.

Also, Irish media could not ignore the stuff from the USA. I reckon there was stuff bubbling away and they all said plough on to go at it. Sure look at Spain.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on August 29, 2023, 04:25:02 PM
If they do get rid of her the players will need to deliver.
It's like Anthony Cunningham v the Galway hurlers. In-game tactical flexibility would be a weakness, same as Cunningham.

Galway lost to Kilkenny in All Ireland finals under Anthony Cunningham and had his side faced Waterford instead he probably would have led his county to at least one All Ireland title.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Capt Pat

It is being reported that Vera Pauw is gone. I disagree with this if that is the case. I think she is a good egg and successful as well. I beleive we will regret this move.

weareros

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 29, 2023, 10:49:32 PM
It is being reported that Vera Pauw is gone. I disagree with this if that is the case. I think she is a good egg and successful as well. I beleive we will regret this move.

Pathetic by FAI. She told a few yank women they needed to watch their weight. Considering the group they were in (Sweden, Finland) they overachieved in qualifying.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 29, 2023, 10:49:32 PM

Big boots to fill. She set a standards. Asked players to play with bigger clubs. We became hard to beat and got some great results away from home. We have a few stars, but in the main we have a lot of average players.

These accusations we all were hearing about, was there any sanctions from FIFA or whoever were the local body?

The Irish media stunk in all of this - from the night we qualified in Scotland - where a couple of silly girls innocently sang a IRA soccer chant to the constant calls to start Amber Barrett (based on one goal).

The constant negativity took the wind out of the whole World Cup experience.

seafoid

She had a lot of public support.  The decision only makes sense if there is more that isn't in the public domain.

An Watcher

I agree.  On the outside looking in it looks a very poor decision.  We probably don't know all the facts though.  Pressure on now ro secure a good appointment

Hound

I agree that no heed should be paid to the US nonsense and that Irish media (particularly Newstalk/ OfftheBall) have been ridiculous in their attacks on Vera.

Results have been really good, obviously the best ever.

There is a question mark over her style of play being too negative. Would we have done better in our three games if the girls had been let off the leash more often?

Also, I know from someone reasonably close to the camp that the girls just don't like her. I do believe that a manager doesn't have to be popular to be successful. Many top managers are not nice people, but they do tend to get their own players in their corner.

Unfortunately I think the team could be at the height of their trajectory. We need more class players. It's the outstanding Katie McCabe plus 10. I hear people saying certain other individuals are really good, but not a single other one of our team would get into the England squad (never mind the England team). It will require great effort and a bit of luck to qualify for future tournaments, no matter who the manager is (similar to the lads). Hopefully I'm wrong in that and a few more stars will emerge.

seafoid

galwayman

It seems she didn't have the players on her side.
The writing is usually on the wall in such situations.

trailer

Quote from: galwayman on August 30, 2023, 08:32:14 AM
It seems she didn't have the players on her side.
The writing is usually on the wall in such situations.

Them girls want to play big time football but on their small minded terms. Good luck to them. They'll need it.