FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on October 12, 2015, 09:39:27 AM
Anyone think that Dunphy got a telling off during the game after his prematch rant. I didn't see it live but watched the rant back afterwards after the twitter postings on it. He was away out of line and I think Daragh handled it well live but I'm sure he was fuming afterwards.

How many times does Dunphy play the "we played the game card" during a game. He's been out of the game longer than he played at this stage. I thought he was more reserved afterwards.

In the prematch analysis I don't think they showed a single clip of the game but maybe that was a ploy to get people to watch the highlights show.

On the game itself, the first 20/25 minutes where crazy and unpredictable which didn't suit Ireland. When the game settled Ireland done a lot better but still lack that creativity. When the chance fell it came to the wrong man.

Will take too massive efforts now in playoffs. I hope its one of Nordic countries that we get rather than a Baltic state.

I think Dunphy doesn't really do the 'we' played the game bit. It's like faux humble. He always says 'great players like these guys' no matter who is in the chair with him. He plays up his own averageness I think.

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 10:03:50 AM
Anyone think that Dunphy got a telling off during the game after his prematch rant. I didn't see it live but watched the rant back afterwards after the twitter postings on it. He was away out of line and I think Daragh handled it well live but I'm sure he was fuming afterwards.

How many times does Dunphy play the "we played the game card" during a game. He's been out of the game longer than he played at this stage. I thought he was more reserved afterwards.

In the prematch analysis I don't think they showed a single clip of the game but maybe that was a ploy to get people to watch the highlights show.

On the game itself, the first 20/25 minutes where crazy and unpredictable which didn't suit Ireland. When the game settled Ireland done a lot better but still lack that creativity. When the chance fell it came to the wrong man.

Will take too massive efforts now in playoffs. I hope its one of Nordic countries that we get rather than a Baltic state.

I think Dunphy doesn't really do the 'we' played the game bit. It's like faux humble. He always says 'great players like these guys' no matter who is in the chair with him. He plays up his own averageness I think.

"I played the game for 17 years a professional and so did these guys. You [Moloney] don't know what you're talking about."

Eamon Dunphy last night. He regularly throws it up to Daragh Maloney like this.

Esmarelda

Quote from: illdecide on October 12, 2015, 09:35:21 AM
Really frustrating here...from diving from that bastid Lewandowski to shit players to listening to them 3 t**ts in the studio and then lads here blaming in on McGeady...FFS. Trap & MON both know the limited ability of the players we have and if we go out and play silky football against the big boys they'll tear us a new arse hole. Most of the players are playing in the Championship in England and we've some players who can't even get a game with their clubs.

23 Randolph (Was decent)
02 Coleman (Was decent)
05 Keogh (Average and should have scored)
04 O'Shea (Average Judo performance)
19 Brady (Terrible)
08 McCarthy (Poor)
06 Whelan (Brutal))
14 Walters (was poor but gives his all)
21 Hendrick (brutal)
11 McClean (BRUTAL )
09 Long (Only threat we had )

R Keane (Never touched Leather)
A McGeady (1 good Cross & at least one terrible one)
Hoolahan  ( the Messi love child of Dunphy didn't do much when he came on either)
Who will Poland? We played McCarthy and a playmaker against Germany and regardless of the result in that game we tried to play football.

If Hoolahan wasn't fit to play last night then he should have put Brady central with Wilson at left back or started Gibson in midfield.

Dunphy goes way overboard but his and the other two lads' opinion is largely right. Go out and try to play football. McCarthy will break up plenty in midfield if that's all he's asked to do. When you put other non-playing midfielders with him it turns into long ball or the full backs knocking it down the channels to win. From either approach we get the odd free-kick and that's your lot for the game.

Nine of the eleven that started play in the premier league, albeit not all are regulars. We had Gibson, Wilson, McGeady and Hoolahan to add to that. So you're factually wrong about most of our players playing in the Championship.

An Watcher

MON comes on and said Hoolahan told him he couldn't start.  Dunphy totally ignores this though and continues to rant about he should be starting!!

illdecide

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 12, 2015, 10:19:58 AM
Really frustrating here...from diving from that bastid Lewandowski to shit players to listening to them 3 t**ts in the studio and then lads here blaming in on McGeady...FFS. Trap & MON both know the limited ability of the players we have and if we go out and play silky football against the big boys they'll tear us a new arse hole. Most of the players are playing in the Championship in England and we've some players who can't even get a game with their clubs.

23 Randolph (Was decent)
02 Coleman (Was decent)
19 Brady (Terrible)
08 McCarthy (Poor)
06 Whelan (Brutal))
21 Hendrick (brutal)
11 McClean (BRUTAL )

Hoolahan  ( the Messi love child of Dunphy didn't do much when he came on either)
Who will Poland? We played McCarthy and a playmaker against Germany and regardless of the result in that game we tried to play football.

If Hoolahan wasn't fit to play last night then he should have put Brady central with Wilson at left back or started Gibson in midfield.

Dunphy goes way overboard but his and the other two lads' opinion is largely right. Go out and try to play football. McCarthy will break up plenty in midfield if that's all he's asked to do. When you put other non-playing midfielders with him it turns into long ball or the full backs knocking it down the channels to win. From either approach we get the odd free-kick and that's your lot for the game.

Nine of the eleven that started play in the premier league, albeit not all are regulars. We had Gibson, Wilson, McGeady and Hoolahan to add to that. So you're factually wrong about most of our players playing in the Championship.

What...we had one chance against Germany and scored...the fecking result was a miracle. We play 11 men behind the ball no matter who we're playing because if we didn't we'd be beat, most people know that. The only time Ireland actually try to play football is when they're chasing a game and have nothing else to lose...

I'm not putting the boot in to the lads, i'm just trying to say we're not a good football team atm and we don't have the players to throw the ball about. We've a team of grafters with limited ability...Ohh yes we've got Wesley too ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ashman

Georgia gave Germany bags of it last night .  The Germans were not great in this campaign.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on October 12, 2015, 10:08:57 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 10:03:50 AM

"I played the game for 17 years a professional and so did these guys. You [Moloney] don't know what you're talking about."

Eamon Dunphy last night. He regularly throws it up to Daragh Maloney like this.

I didn't hear that last night. Usually he downplays his own career and talks about Souness/Hamann/Giles/Brady/Whelan whoever as if they are legends. Mind you I haven't seen much of him with Maloney, maybe he doesn't get on with him.

JoG2

Quote from: An Watcher on October 12, 2015, 10:23:19 AM
MON comes on and said Hoolahan told him he couldn't start.  Dunphy totally ignores this though and continues to rant about he should be starting!!

I didn't hear that bit. I heard him mention team rotation as there was a quick turnaround and because of the long flight (!). I'd be very surprised if a player carrying no injury asked a manager not to start him. But then again.....

imtommygunn

23 Randolph (Was decent)
02 Coleman (Was decent)
19 Brady (Terrible)
08 McCarthy (Poor)
06 Whelan (Brutal))
21 Hendrick (brutal)
11 McClean (BRUTAL )

McCarthy was played in a much more defensive role against Germany. He spent his night breaking up play...

Esmarelda

Quote from: illdecide on October 12, 2015, 10:39:05 AM

23 Randolph (Was decent)
02 Coleman (Was decent)
19 Brady (Terrible)
08 McCarthy (Poor)
06 Whelan (Brutal))
21 Hendrick (brutal)
11 McClean (BRUTAL )

What...we had one chance against Germany and scored...the fecking result was a miracle. We play 11 men behind the ball no matter who we're playing because if we didn't we'd be beat, most people know that. The only time Ireland actually try to play football is when they're chasing a game and have nothing else to lose...

I'm not putting the boot in to the lads, i'm just trying to say we're not a good football team atm and we don't have the players to throw the ball about. We've a team of grafters with limited ability...Ohh yes we've got Wesley too ;)

So you're saying against the mighty Scotland and Georgia we need to get eleven men behind the ball? Seriously? If we started the following 11, do you think we could maybe go and try to beat the likes of Poland and Scotland:
Given
Coleman, O'Shea, Delaney, Wilson
Hendrick, McCarthy, Gibson, Brady
Hoolahan
Long

Take a look at the other groups and who's in the qualifying positions. The lack of belief in the Irish team is incredible. I'm not saying we should be topping the group but to suggest that we need to get all our men behind the ball against all teams is bull. Do you include Gibraltor in that?

rodney trotter

Why would putting Gibson in be much better? He has been injury prone since he joined Everton and form not hectic when he has been playing.

Polands main men in central midfield plays with Sevilla in the Champions League.

AZOffaly

Quote from: JoG2 on October 12, 2015, 10:51:17 AM

I didn't hear that bit. I heard him mention team rotation as there was a quick turnaround and because of the long flight (!). I'd be very surprised if a player carrying no injury asked a manager not to start him. But then again.....

I heard that, but I wonder. He phrased it sort of oddly though. If Holohan isn't ready to play two international games 3 nights apart, how is he going to manage the Premier League fixture list. It's only 10 games into the season for him or so. I'm not sure Martin was being completely up front there.

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 11:04:50 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 12, 2015, 10:51:17 AM

I heard that, but I wonder. He phrased it sort of oddly though. If Holohan isn't ready to play two international games 3 nights apart, how is he going to manage the Premier League fixture list. It's only 10 games into the season for him or so. I'm not sure Martin was being completely up front there.

That's the thing though and its not hard to look at his playing history. He rarely finishes a game for Norwich and is often rested or benched for them throughout the season. It just seems to be the way he plays that he gets rest when he needs it.

Esmarelda

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 12, 2015, 11:00:58 AM
Why would putting Gibson in be much better? He has been injury prone since he joined Everton and form not hectic when he has been playing.

Polands main men in central midfield plays with Sevilla in the Champions League.
Because he can pass the ball. Martinez is very quick to bring him on with little game time for this very reason.

You need someone that can pass it or you'll get what we got last night; 50/50 balls down the channel. Is that what we're happy with or looking for? Should we just accept it?

Dunphy went overboard pre-game but MON's view on Hoolahan is odd. Strangely, Dunphy didn't mention one thing I picked up on in his pre-match press conference. He referred to the fact that Hoolahan had only made the step-up in recent years and that it suggested that he wasn't every manager's type of player (I can't find the exact quote anywhere). Is that not a very strange thing to say about any player the day before a game?

rodney trotter

How much football has he played in the last 2 years ? He would be in the side if he was fit, which he isn't

The Scotland game away he started  and was over run in the middle. He was coming back from  a cruciate,  has too many Injuries since. Decent passer of the ball.