FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 15, 2014, 01:25:21 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 15, 2014, 12:22:17 PM
Strachan has Scotland attempting to play football, while even Michael O'Neill has Norn Iron playing a better passing game than the republic. Don't know what Martin's attempting to do, but at the moment it's ugly and ineffective. To borrow a line from Gary Lineker, the best way of watching this Ireland team is on teletext.

Agree with this. Disappointed with what I saw (first half only). Seems things didn't improve in 2ns half.
We did improve nicely in the 2nd half for 20 minutes or so, then Scotland scored  when the game looked like it was going to peter out into a draw.
Scotland were better set up than us, but not a lot better.
The fact that out 2 CMs were substituted tells much of where we were crucially weak. Gibson had a poor game with the ball and he's about the only one in midfield who has decent ball control ability. Even if you had Gibson on form you still need somebody further up like Hoolahan to receive it. McGeady wasn't used in that role last night.

Billys Boots

I agree MS that Scotland were only marginally better than us - I can't understand the massive praise that they were getting on RTE.

Our CM wasn't great and Scotland capitalised on it - I thought Gibson was OK, but he had no outlet in front of him.  I was disappointed in Hendricks - I expected a lot more from him but we were over-run really in the middle of the park.  I thought it was a strange decision playing two up, especially when it was clear that Scotland were a man up (and sometimes two up) in that area of the pitch.

Like Seanie, I am really pissed off we didn't take a point from that game - we should have, even playing badly,
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

JoG2

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 15, 2014, 12:11:34 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 15, 2014, 10:49:44 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 15, 2014, 10:33:54 AM
Brady offers a lot more then McClean on the wing, who is more of a grafter with not much end product.

McClean is one of the first names on the teamsheet
he's not even one of the 1st names on the wigan team and offered nothing last night. should only be used off the bench.

We're not talking about wigan here. He is one of our top performers and battles alot more than most. He spends half his time covering Ward and in return gets zero support. You know, give and go, overlapping...the basics a wing man needs to help unlock defences and get crosses in. Did Ward cross the halfway line. Strange men singling out one of our better performers. Who from our depth of talent would you start in front of him?

mylestheslasher

Watched the game last night, obviously piss poor from Ireland. Did we have the best 11 available to us on the pitch last night, I would say pretty close (although I'd play anyone, even Robbie keane, at left back instead of Ward who is brutal). So complaining about this player or that player not being good enough is stupid as there is no one better than them in their position. The Irish team tries hard, busts a gut and never gives up but it is very disappointing to me to see us play exactly the same way last night as Trap would have played. Long 50:50 balls, no attempt to pass the ball through midfield. No one really looking to take a chance on anything in case they give something away. There is no point saying Gibson was poor, what could he do?? No one looking for a ball in front of him. As someone said McClean spent most of the match covering for Ward and got no help from Ward in attack. The best FB in the premier league cannot get out of his own half as we just wont move the ball around. I'm not really that surprised to see the tactics employed by O Neill, he always played like this - knock it into a big man and hold it up. Unfortunately, Strachan also knew this and whenever Walters did take a ball down he was surrounded. Strachan won the tactical battle and really Scotland, as limited as they are, should have won this game by 2 or 3. I dont hold much hope of us getting out of this group unless we start trying to play some bit of football, we have better players than Scotland and made it look the other way around.

ballinaman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 15, 2014, 11:31:38 AM
Obv a lot of the Celtic Scottish were at the game cheering on Ireland- as a few of the Irish chants and songs were amended Celtic songs!
They were booed by the jock fans

Sickens me we lost to them as they are a poor outfit but have cohesion and great team spirit - certainly lifted by their recent good run of form too

Def agree with you Seanie ( did you get my pm from a few weeks ago?)
Agreed. Gutted we lost last night. Up shit creek now regards qualifying big time.

Very strange day yesterday. Hard to know what to make of it. Not a great atmosphere really.

Landed into the Chrystal Bell pub around 2.30pm on the gallowgate. Was going to be the YBIG meet up HQ. placed rammed with scots, good craic. Chants back and forth..both sides giving it loads for about 15 minutes.
Stand up if you hate England started by the Scots and everyone joins in and bit of laughing. Barmaid going mad and wouldn't serve then, everyone bit bemused.
Few minutes later, cops rock in. Reports of sectarian songs. Loads of scots leave/kicked out. This process repeats for the afternoon until basically no scots left. Shutters down in the pub from about 5 even tho a rake of space inside. Scots were sound even tho anytime I went into the jacks there were pills and coke being taken by a fairly wide age group. Because it was a Celtic pub they didn't want 2 sets of supporters in there because thought something might kick off I was told, was never going to happen.

Grand, 6.45pm..we make start making shapes, about 30 of us. Due to be about 30 minute walk.
Good craic on the walk up, both sets on either side chanting away. No tension at all. Get to the ground, absolute nightmare queue to get in. We were going into the Scotland end but were next to the Irish support. Few pricks in the queue at stage alright but was always going to meet a few. Didn't get in until the 12th minute even though was outside at 7.30. One style open, don't know what the story was.

Scots crowd were what you'd expect. Got the tails up after the goal.
Walked back into city centre then, analysed game to death and fairly pissed off. Chatted to a few scots, sound. I reckon there will be trouble when they play England on Tuesday. Anyone I talked to was spitting blood nearly, way worse than I've seen from any set of supporters (including us)

rodney trotter

Quote from: JoG2 on November 15, 2014, 05:22:32 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on November 15, 2014, 12:11:34 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 15, 2014, 10:49:44 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 15, 2014, 10:33:54 AM
Brady offers a lot more then McClean on the wing, who is more of a grafter with not much end product.

McClean is one of the first names on the teamsheet
he's not even one of the 1st names on the wigan team and offered nothing last night. should only be used off the bench.

We're not talking about wigan here. He is one of our top performers and battles alot more than most. He spends half his time covering Ward and in return gets zero support. You know, give and go, overlapping...the basics a wing man needs to help unlock defences and get crosses in. Did Ward cross the halfway line. Strange men singling out one of our better performers. Who from our depth of talent would you start in front of him?

Ward didn't cross the half way line  that was probaly the instruction of O Neill, cautious approach. Not that Ward is up to much,. Coleman didn't attack much either so no surprise that Ward didn't

Trappatini sat back a lot and , this is similiar, McClean is suited to the defensive game plan of O Neill.
Brady offers more quality.

McClean at left back with Brady on the wing should be looked at,

Scotland are much the same level of Ireland,  the hussle and bustle approach only gets you far. Scotland out played Ireland.

theskull1

The pitch side interviewer on RTE called the game extraordinary. I couldn't he used such a term to describe what I'd watched of the game.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

rodney trotter

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 15, 2014, 11:06:04 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 15, 2014, 10:50:38 AM
Not for his attacking ability, he is pretty headless.
I wouldn't say headless but he is still learning IMO
But offers a lot more to the team - I'd have expected we would have been destroyed on that wing if Brady was there instead!
If ward plays then McLean must play - how often was McLean defending the left wing with ward nowhere in sight!!!!!

I'd actually like to try McLean at lb with Brady in front of him

Or see McLean  at l wing back in a 352

Agree about  McLean at lb and Brady left wing. Brady is more of a natural winger,

Not sure why you think Brady would have been destroyed last night had be been playing in front of Ward, he has played left back before and done well there for Hull and also for United., so his defensive game plan would be of no worries.

SHEEDY

what is it with all this love in on the board for mclean? I like him, he's a decent player but he's far from being first name on the team and as for him playing left back, you must be joking, no chance.
nil satis nisi optimum

rodney trotter

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 15, 2014, 10:00:01 PM
what is it with all this love in on the board for mclean? I like him, he's a decent player but he's far from being first name on the team and as for him playing left back, you must be joking, no chance.

If Stephen Ward can play there anyting is possible, McClean plays left back as it is , rarely attacks.

ONeill

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 15, 2014, 10:00:01 PM

At International level, McClean will take the wrong option 6-7/10.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 15, 2014, 09:36:19 PM
But offers a lot more to the team - I'd have expected we would have been destroyed on that wing if Brady was there instead!
If ward plays then McLean must play - how often was McLean defending the left wing with ward nowhere in sight!!!!!

Agree about  McLean at lb and Brady left wing. Brady is more of a natural winger,

Not sure why you think Brady would have been destroyed last night had be been playing in front of Ward, he has played left back before and done well there for Hull and also for United., so his defensive game plan would be of no worries.
Wouldn't really disagree with you
But
Robbie Brady has actually done nothing of note yet.
He has great potential and I hope he can recapture the form he had prior to his injury last season as he was starting to look good
Prob a bit light yet but he is still young and learning

A mixture of him and McLean would be perfect for left wing

rodney trotter

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 16, 2014, 11:17:57 AM

But
He has great potential and I hope he can recapture the form he had prior to his injury last season as he was starting to look good

The next Qualifier is March, i was looking to that , hopefully he gets a chance against USA.

McClean is very good at the hussle and bussle, but need more then that at International from a winger.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 15, 2014, 12:22:17 PM
Strachan has Scotland attempting to play football, while even Michael O'Neill has Norn Iron playing a better passing game than the republic. Don't know what Martin's attempting to do, but at the moment it's ugly and ineffective. To borrow a line from Gary Lineker, the best way of watching this Ireland team is on teletext.

It didn't work on Friday but it's obviously been effective on other occasions. Scotland went to Germany and played some nice football, scored a lovely goal and might have had another but lost the match. Ireland went there and shitfested it and got a point. If Ireland end up qualifying I doubt there will be too many complaints at all about the style of play used.

Looking over the last couple of pages there would appear to be a few posters who are seething about losing to Scotland. Enjoy  8) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GccPPnee-4I

Main Street

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 16, 2014, 07:43:08 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 16, 2014, 11:17:57 AM

But

The next Qualifier is March, i was looking to that , hopefully he gets a chance against USA.

McClean is very good at the hussle and bussle, but need more then that at International from a winger.
Brady is not a winger, he's a wide midfielder, there is a big difference. He looked the part before he got injured last season. And after injury setback after setback, he looks to be finally on the way back, but still a good way off his pace.
If we use him in a game in the future, it means we will only use one so called winger, on the other side. Personally, that option is more to my liking.