Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

I'll miss Trapp's interviews though.

Here he is explaining the long ball and when to shoot"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLqohiMy_CU
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 11, 2013, 03:15:07 PM
While admittedly the players aren't exactly there at the minute with a player pool so small you have to get your best players playing and Trap never did that. There were too many fallings out with too many players. Apart from Stephen Ireland who would fall out with his own shadow I thought Trap had a stubbornness which caused a lot of them.

If you get Darren Gibson in instead of Whelan, you play two wingers, you maybe go 4-5-1 and have McCarthy and someone like Houlahan playing behind a striker the team could do alright.

Robbie Keane is past it and Walters should not be let near the wing yet he continues to go with these players.

International football is at the minute very poor. If you set up right you could do well in it.

In saying all that he got us to the euros and he got us to world cup playoffs so did some things right obviously and should be thanked for it but I think his time has come.

Thats all well and good and looks positive going forward but the first thing Trap done and the reason he played some players  when he did, was to make us hard to beat and he achieved that. The late, late goal V Austria in Dublin had a massive impact on Trap and the team - the players lost faith in him  and he last faith in playing more adventorous.

The simple fact was that he built his team on playing solid and not conceded. To a limited team like Ireland, that is everything. Wales have Bale, Bellamy, Ramsey - all top players but in the system they have they leak goals but still they look to those players to do the business for them.

If you can't defend, you are going nowhere.

While I think Trap had to go, the team overachieved alot of the time.

imtommygunn

I don't disagree Bingo. His time has definitely come though.

We got to the euros with probably one of the worst teams in the history of the euros so he without a doubt overachieved. He set us up to be a team that were very very hard to beat and did that well.

On the flip side though the likes of Stephen Ward was playing and he was woeful at best. Wilson who's a solid left back could and should have been in there. Also Given wasn't half fit and was played and to be honest could have done a lot better for a few goals. Those are only two examples and there could be a lot more.

seafoid

Journeymen players get paid far too much as well. They get paid 30K a week or whatever but they'll never play for the top teams . Maybe they can't love Irish football with all the money turning their heads and the women etc.

No Soloing

At the minute I dont really care who gets the job - as long as that person knows that Conor Sammon never was or never will be an international standard footballer. I hope the new manager never lets Sammon near an international squad again

deiseach

Quote from: No Soloing on September 11, 2013, 04:30:37 PM
At the minute I dont really care who gets the job - as long as that person knows that Conor Sammon never was or never will be an international standard footballer. I hope the new manager never lets Sammon near an international squad again

Is that your CV? You're hired!

muppet

I've heard interviews are already underway.

Here is the first up:

MWWSI 2017

rodney trotter

Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2013, 04:23:10 PM
Journeymen players get paid far too much as well. They get paid 30K a week or whatever but they'll never play for the top teams . Maybe they can't love Irish football with all the money turning their heads and the women etc.
Quote from: Bingo on September 11, 2013, 03:31:46 PM
While admittedly the players aren't exactly there at the minute with a player pool so small you have to get your best players playing and Trap never did that. There were too many fallings out with too many players. Apart from Stephen Ireland who would fall out with his own shadow I thought Trap had a stubbornness which caused a lot of them.

If you get Darren Gibson in instead of Whelan, you play two wingers, you maybe go 4-5-1 and have McCarthy and someone like Houlahan playing behind a striker the team could do alright.

Robbie Keane is past it and Walters should not be let near the wing yet he continues to go with these players.

International football is at the minute very poor. If you set up right you could do well in it.

In saying all that he got us to the euros and he got us to world cup playoffs so did some things right obviously and should be thanked for it but I think his time has come.

Thats all well and good and looks positive going forward but the first thing Trap done and the reason he played some players  when he did, was to make us hard to beat and he achieved that. The late, late goal V Austria in Dublin had a massive impact on Trap and the team - the players lost faith in him  and he last faith in playing more adventorous.
The simple fact was that he built his team on playing solid and not conceded. To a limited team like Ireland, that is everything. Wales have Bale, Bellamy, Ramsey - all top players but in the system they have they leak goals but still they look to those players to do the business for them.

When did he ever play adventurous? He set the team out at the very start with a solid defensive make up. Which was to be expected being an Italian with his CV, but that stayed that way. Sure even getting to the Euro's, Ireland scapped a 0-0 draw at home to Slovakia when he wouldn't go for the jugular and play a more attacking team. An heroic draw in Moscow before thanks to Dunne and Given was where play off qualification was won. That Austrian game, if he had been adventurous after half time, Ireland would have went for the 3rd goal and sealed the win. Austria fully deserved the late draw.

Dunphy talks shite alot but not hard to see a bit more attacking flair was needed.

Bingo

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 11, 2013, 05:17:43 PM

When did he ever play adventurous? He set the team out at the very start with a solid defensive make up. Which was to be expected being an Italian with his CV, but that stayed that way. Sure even getting to the Euro's, Ireland scapped a 0-0 draw at home to Slovakia when he wouldn't go for the jugular and play a more attacking team. An heroic draw in Moscow before thanks to Dunne and Given was where play off qualification was won. That Austrian game, if he had been adventurous after half time, Ireland would have went for the 3rd goal and sealed the win. Austria fully deserved the late draw.

Dunphy talks shite alot but not hard to see a bit more attacking flair was needed.

While I said adventorous, it was more attacked minded than the norm under him.

You missing the point, for a country with Irelands group of players its going to be about getting consistency and having a solid spine. Its not a club side that you can shape on a weekly basis and add players to. You play with what you have, you try and mould a structure that works in the 7/8 window you get with the players which includes maybe 2 games and a days travel. He seen Irelands options as been limited and applied a game plan to that.

If he'd tried to outscore teams we'd have been like Scotland, Wales, NI etc - nowhere close to anywhere.

CitySlicker11

Trap did a lot of good for Ireland, but hopefully now we can look forward to having out best 11 on the field.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Bingo on September 11, 2013, 05:33:17 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 11, 2013, 05:17:43 PM

While I said adventorous, it was more attacked minded than the norm under him.

You missing the point, for a country with Irelands group of players its going to be about getting consistency and having a solid spine. Its not a club side that you can shape on a weekly basis and add players to. You play with what you have, you try and mould a structure that works in the 7/8 window you get with the players which includes maybe 2 games and a days travel. He seen Irelands options as been limited and applied a game plan to that.

If he'd tried to outscore teams we'd have been like Scotland, Wales, NI etc - nowhere close to anywhere.

It wasn't a club side that's for sure, otherwise that would have meant he had to see the players every week. Not once a month or even that. He wasn't getting the best players on the field, that was the big thing.

CitySlicker11

Anyone care to guess a different starting 11 from last nights. Minus Seamus Coleman who can still be included.

rodney trotter

1. Westwood

2. Coleman 3 Ciaran Clarke 4 Greg Cunnigham

5. Robbie Brady 6. Gibson. 7. Andy Reid. 8. Aidan Mcgeady

9, Hoolahan

10. Anthony Stokes  11. Paddy Madden

bit open at the back, but sure its being dour as fook long enough   Long , McCarthy would feature no doubt.

seafoid

The fans have high expectations as well. Hungary and Belgium have bigger populations than Ireland and people who love football etc but haven't been to many finals in the last 10 years.

rodney trotter

Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2013, 08:48:02 PM
The fans have high expectations as well. Hungary and Belgium have bigger populations than Ireland and people who love football etc but haven't been to many finals in the last 10 years.

Belguim are more or less through. Brilliant Squad for a such a small country.