FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

I've never once said Keane is better than Long. What I'll say for the third time is that Ireland cannot compete with Germany at any level. Our best hope is to put 11 men behind the ball and hope to nick a goal. Only ONE player in the history of our country has a reliable track record of scoring international goals. Drop him, kick him to touch, do what you like with him. But I'd still prefer if we only create one chance a game, it falls to him.

Problem is that if we only create one chance per game and it falls to Robbie we'll be going scoreless two out of every three games because that was about his conversion rate at his peak. Great servant though, always turned up, always gave it 100% didn't always get the appreciation I felt he deserved from the wider sporting public.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

thewobbler

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 21, 2012, 12:34:24 PM
Any while  to clarify a few other things, Sunderland offered 12 million for Aidan McGead,y but he opted to try a different culture ect over in Moscow, a change from Britain so to speak. Aston Villa were also interested in him at the ti,e.

And Everton have made their best ever start to a Premier League season and you say they won't make the top 6, sheer ignorance, ???

You are a muppet. It's the fact that even though they've had their best ever start, they are still the same price to be relegated as be champions, which means they're not a top 6 club.

I'm not responding anymore, you just don't seem seem to be able to take on board facts and common sense, so I'm turning you back over to your parents for a few years.

rodney trotter

Quote from: thewobbler on October 21, 2012, 05:59:53 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 21, 2012, 12:34:24 PM
Any while  to clarify a few other things, Sunderland offered 12 million for Aidan McGead,y but he opted to try a different culture ect over in Moscow, a change from Britain so to speak. Aston Villa were also interested in him at the ti,e.

And Everton have made their best ever start to a Premier League season and you say they won't make the top 6, sheer ignorance, ???

You are a muppet. It's the fact that even though they've had their best ever start, they are still the same price to be relegated as be champions, which means they're not a top 6 club.

I'm not responding anymore, you just don't seem seem to be able to take on board facts and common sense, so I'm turning you back over to your parents for a few years.

Yeah fair enough Old Timer, you make fook all sense , one minute your saying shane long should be playing, then your saying when he scores 10 goals he could be considered starting ahead of Keane. How could be be scoring 10 goals, when he didn't start any games in the Euro's and any games since!

Common sense to know, you need to be playing to score goals,

no need replying, that will make you a bigger muppet.

rodney trotter

Quote from: thewobbler on October 20, 2012, 11:26:38 PM
Hahahaha there are some truly blinded thinkers on this thread.Seamus Coleman plays for a club who will a) not finish in the top 6, and b) will seek their best players at the end of the season. They are not a big club.

Aiden McGeady went to Russia because no English club would take a risk on him. Let alone a big club.

Paul McShane and Pat McGibbon used to be on the books at Man Utd. Let's wait until Robbie Brady plays a few games before calling him a United player.

As for Conor whodafuck at Arsenal and Greg remembermyname formerly of City, this is plumbing a depth that can only result in a bathroom covered in excrement.

Shane Long is a better player than the lot of them put together and he plays for possibly the least fashionable club in the world.

Mad. Clean mad. Straw clutching. Mad.

Your the blinkered one if thats what you think

AZOffaly

This thread seems to have taken a bizarre twist with people fighting over an argument that I haven't seen made in the first place.

The contention seems to be that Irish fans expectations are way too high, and that the Irish players are far from a vintage squad.

I think that contention is fundementally flawed because I don't for one minute believe that anyone even suggested that this Irish team is anywhere near being a top international side. I may have missed it, but in my view the point people are trying to make is that while they are not world beaters by a long stretch, there *are* better players available than are being picked. It might mean we go from being shite to being average, but surely we should be striving to be the best we can possibly be with the resources at our disposal. Whether the best we can be means winning a world cup, or finishing third in the group is a moot point, but the central tenet should be that you pick your best players, and try to get the best out of them. I don't think anyone can say that we are currently picking our best players.

In short, I think an Irish expectation of picking the best you have, and trying to have them perform to the best of their ability is hardly an unrealistic expectation.  At the moment, I would say that Trap's approach is making even those modest aims impossible to achieve. We will see if his approach changes following his summit with Delaney, but I can't see it.

Billys Boots

Anyone hear if Trapp successfully found his way to Norwich on Saturday?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 22, 2012, 02:54:52 PM
Anyone hear if Trapp successfully found his way to Norwich on Saturday?

Yes he was at the match.

rodney trotter

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 22, 2012, 10:41:44 AM
This thread seems to have taken a bizarre twist with people fighting over an argument that I haven't seen made in the first place.

The contention seems to be that Irish fans expectations are way too high, and that the Irish players are far from a vintage squad.

I think that contention is fundementally flawed because I don't for one minute believe that anyone even suggested that this Irish team is anywhere near being a top international side. I may have missed it, but in my view the point people are trying to make is that while they are not world beaters by a long stretch, there *are* better players available than are being picked. It might mean we go from being shite to being average, but surely we should be striving to be the best we can possibly be with the resources at our disposal. Whether the best we can be means winning a world cup, or finishing third in the group is a moot point, but the central tenet should be that you pick your best players, and try to get the best out of them. I don't think anyone can say that we are currently picking our best players.

In short, I think an Irish expectation of picking the best you have, and trying to have them perform to the best of their ability is hardly an unrealistic expectation.  At the moment, I would say that Trap's approach is making even those modest aims impossible to achieve. We will see if his approach changes following his summit with Delaney, but I can't see it.

Well said, its a pity Wobbly Wobbler couldn't see that. But sure he too stubborn to see past his thoughts and listen to nobody else.

Billys Boots

Women's U-19s: Serbia 2-3 Republic of Ireland

The Republic of Ireland U19 Women's team came from behind to beat hosts Serbia and win Group 1 in the first round of qualifying for the UEFA U19 Women's European Championship.

Serbia had hit back to lead 2-1 after being stunned by an early goal from striker Katie McCabe but goals from skipper Denise O'Sullivan and vice-captain Emma Hansberry gave Dave Connell's side a deserved 3-2 win.

The result is a massive boost for Irish women's football as Connell has now led the U17 and U19 sides to their respective groups with a 100 per cent record in both cases and, with the Men's U17 and U19 also qualifying for the elite phase, it been a tremendous autumn for the FAI's international underage set-up.

Both teams went into today's game at the FK Srem Stadium in Jakovo having already secured qualification for the next phase but Ireland were very much the underdogs, having lost to the Serbs at U18 level earlier in the year.

In addition the home side only needed a draw to win the group as they had a vastly superior goal difference following big wins over Latvia and Cyprus.

But they were rocked after just four minutes when Orlagh Nolan swung the ball in and Katie McCabe sent a glancing a back header to the net.

Ireland created enough changes in the next half-hour to have put the game out of sight with Gemma McGuinness on the end of four great chances, two of which produced superb saves from the keeper, Vojinovic.

"Serbia are a really good side and had several senior internationals in their line-up" - Dave Connell

Ireland paid the penalty for those misses in the 36th minute when the Serbian captain Damnjanovic equalised and nine minutes after half-time a penalty conceded by goalkeeper Jillian Maloney, when she was adjudged to have brought down Damnjanovic, led to Cubrilo giving the home side the lead.

However, the Irish women responded magnificently and within five minutes were back on level terms when a short free-kick by Claire Shine found Lauren Murphy and her cross was headed home by senior international Denise O'Sullivan.

The winning goal came in the 74th minute when Emma Hansberry curled a 25-metre free kick around the wall and in off the post as the Irish threat from set-pieces once again reaped rich dividends.

With Claire O'Connell in superb form at the back and goalkeeper Jillian Maloney equal to anything the Serbs fired at her, the Irish were able to hold their lead this time and record a famous victory.

"This was an absolutely excellent performance from the girls because Serbia are a really good side and had several senior internationals in their line-up," Connell said afterwards.

"Our midfield of Denise O'Sullivan, Emma Hansberry and Claire Sine were superb and Claire O'Connell at the back was the player of the match.

"It's been a great few weeks with the U17s and now the U19s qualifying and winning their groups with 100 per cent records.

"It shows the amount of work that is being done on the ground by the clubs, the coaches, the leagues and the Emerging Talent Programme and there are some seriously good players now coming through.

"We'll wait now and see who we get in the draw for the second round. I hope we avoid the really big guns and get a good chance at qualifying for the finals but there won't be too many wanting to meet us and the girls, after this performance, won't be afraid of anybody.

"They are a great group and have knuckled down and taken on board everything we've asked them to do. I am very proud of them."

magpie seanie

Emma Hansberry is supposed to be unreal. Plays with Sligo ladies gaelic football team and due to soccer committments wasn't able to play a game earlier in the summer. Game was a humdinger and Sligo got a crucial penalty. They put her on, she planted the penalty and then took her off immediately! Thought it was a brilliant story when I heard it.

Declan

More good news from the underage set up so - Grassroots are dying alright and we've no players capable of competing  ;)

Billys Boots

In fairness, the Emerging Talent programme has been quite successful - it's the next stage where the system falls down. 

AZOffaly

We work very well with the emerging talent here in Tipp. The elite players at Under 12 and Under 14 level tend to be elite in multiple sports, and it behoves anyone involved in teams at that level to try and accomodate this, rather than limit or force them into a choice.

My opinion is that if we provide a great set up in the GAA, we will get more than our fair share, and I prefer to see young lads playing sport, any sport, than standing around the corner.

Declan

QuoteIn fairness, the Emerging Talent programme has been quite successful - it's the next stage where the system falls down.
Agreed - it's when Tony Pulis and his like get their hands on them they regress!!

QuoteWe work very well with the emerging talent here in Tipp. The elite players at Under 12 and Under 14 level tend to be elite in multiple sports, and it behoves anyone involved in teams at that level to try and accomodate this, rather than limit or force them into a choice.

My opinion is that if we provide a great set up in the GAA, we will get more than our fair share, and I prefer to see young lads playing sport, any sport, than standing around the corner.

Couldn't agree more with you AZ. Unfortunately not all mentors/coaches are as broadminded. What I'm finding is that kids are making the choice around 15/16 generally in Transition Year when the real "development" phsical work is starting to kick in

Billys Boots

QuoteQuote

In fairness, the Emerging Talent programme has been quite successful - it's the next stage where the system falls down.

Agreed - it's when Tony Pulis and his like get their hands on them they regress!!

I have no love for the School of Charlie Hughes, but I have to say I admire Pulis's work (if not his methods).