FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Declan on October 17, 2012, 07:54:20 PM
FAI currently meeting - Ciao Trap

You think so? They will have to buy out the one Million plus contract, then they have to go search for a manager. Who's a mid range costing (experienced) manager that is currently available (cos there won't be much left in the kitty)? McCarthy, Kerr, Coyle, Keane (god help us). We could go back to the future and look at someone like Kilbane, Cunningham, Denis Irwin that may come cheap, but would have no experience, but you see where an appointment like that may get us.

Main Street

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 17, 2012, 08:51:13 PM

You think so? They will have to buy out the one Million plus contract, then they have to go search for a manager. Who's a mid range costing (experienced) manager that is currently available (cos there won't be much left in the kitty)? McCarthy, Kerr, Coyle, Keane (god help us). We could go back to the future and look at someone like Kilbane, Cunningham, Denis Irwin that may come cheap, but would have no experience, but you see where an appointment like that may get us.
The extra cost is the cost of the wages of the new manager. Those extra costs would be offset by probable extra income generated by the increased likelihood that we would still have a chance of making 2nd place at the last game,  versus a couple of half empty Lansdowne rd, dead rubber games which is the most probable outcome with Trap.continuing.
What the FAI think/hope is that we still have a chance of nearly qualifying for the play offs with Trap. We will be tanked by both Austria and Sweden.
I wouldn't mind Trap as manager after the Euros if he had show some awareness that football has changed  since he took over and we have the players with varying amounts of technique who have the ability to play in a team and play football as it is played in 2012.
I am not interested in what some people interpret as exciting football, just basic competence in defending, possession and distribution.

rodney trotter

As bad as Ireland are to watch, listening to Ronnie Whelan on commentary just makes it a whole lot worse.. They should let Hamilton at it ,or just replace whelan, misery at the highest..

sammymaguire

Trap stays - best result Ireland have had in a while, great news
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Declan

Like all politics you can never believe everything you hear. The word was he was gone but Floppy obviously changed his mind and the lemmings followed suit.

Billys Boots

If they had had to pay Trapp off and install a replacement it would have set back the grassroots game for several years in terms of funding. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

The fact that half of Trap's contract is sponsored takes some of the sting away. But would he have to be 'compensated' in full immediately, if he was given the sack?

It is still possible to offer a sane contract to a good intl manager and still have change from €600k.
For instance, there's no need for an expensive 'outside' backroom team. Chris Hughton was Kerr's clipboard holding sidekick, I doubt if he cost that much, he did it while holding the Spurs job.
Lagerback an experienced manager, manages the Iceland team for €300k or so.

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Leo

Do any of the posters on here understand how limited the current crap 9sorry crop) of players are?

Take magpie's selction:

Westwood  - reserve at Sunderland

Kelly - not a regular at Fulham  Dunne = done 9great servant gone past sbd)   O'Shea - seriously limited player at Sunderland /Clarke  - best of the new bunch, I'd stick with him, but not a regular at AV   Wilson - worth a look, plays for Stoke

Coleman - cant command regular place at Everton but one of our better players  McCarthy - was once the grat new hope but has turned into a journeyman midfielder  Andrews - has dropped from premiership to championship strugglers bu dont doubt his spirit or commitment/Fahey  - not a regular at Birmingham   McLean - could be our answer to Wayne rRooney!!

Long  - best of our forwards but hardly a goal a game man at WBA     Walters - game but limited in ability and not a regular goalscorer /Doyle - way off the boil

Notice something?
Man Utd - no players
Man City - no players
Chelsea - no players
Arsenal - no players
Spurs - no players

Worst squad for Republic in my memory.

Trapp derserves them.
Fierce tame altogether

Main Street

It's not difficult to appreciate the squad limitations, but you can also appreciate that after 4 years of getting passed off the park by 5th and 6th seeded teams, by still persisting with a long ball game, bypassing midfield,  that there's a growing belief that Trap has not even got close to getting the most of the available players. There is also a growing belief that we will be easy meat for Sweden and Austria. They will be expecting at least 4 points each.
That when it comes down to it, Trap has ignored or pissed off anybody that can play a bit of football.
That even after long ball, kick and rush tactics were badly exposed in the Euros, he still persisted with the long ball to Walters game against the mighty Kazakhstan. Then again against the Faroes, for the whole 1st half  the long ball to Walters. The Faroes actually were a better team in the 1st half and tried to play football.
The game is up for this style of football, other teams look upon us beatable.

I don't swallow the technical deficiencies of our players as an excuse for neanderthal football. And if we continue to play that crap we are sure to finish 4th at best.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Leo on October 19, 2012, 10:07:38 PM
McCarthy - was once the grat new hope but has turned into a journeyman midfielder 

FFS he's 21.

And the main man in central midfield for a Premier League club. Bit early to be writing him off no?

thewobbler

Quote from: Main Street on October 19, 2012, 11:41:51 PM
It's not difficult to appreciate the squad limitations, but you can also appreciate that after 4 years of getting passed off the park by 5th and 6th seeded teams, by still persisting with a long ball game, bypassing midfield,  that there's a growing belief that Trap has not even got close to getting the most of the available players. There is also a growing belief that we will be easy meat for Sweden and Austria. They will be expecting at least 4 points each.
That when it comes down to it, Trap has ignored or pissed off anybody that can play a bit of football.
That even after long ball, kick and rush tactics were badly exposed in the Euros, he still persisted with the long ball to Walters game against the mighty Kazakhstan. Then again against the Faroes, for the whole 1st half  the long ball to Walters. The Faroes actually were a better team in the 1st half and tried to play football.

I don't swallow the technical deficiencies of our players as an excuse for neanderthal football. And if we continue to play that crap we are sure to finish 4th at best.

The last paragraph is interesting an it suggests you've bought into Sky's propoganda about the strength and quality of the EPL. Here's something for you: the England team is falling down with top 6 EPL players, yet they still look technically deficient against the majority of international sides. Ireland are a poor man's England in this game. We cannot expect a bunch of average players to outplay anyone.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Leo on October 19, 2012, 10:07:38 PM
Do any of the posters on here understand how limited the current crap 9sorry crop) of players are?

Take magpie's selction:

Westwood  - reserve at Sunderland

Kelly - not a regular at Fulham  Dunne = done 9great servant gone past sbd)   O'Shea - seriously limited player at Sunderland /Clarke  - best of the new bunch, I'd stick with him, but not a regular at AV   Wilson - worth a look, plays for Stoke

Coleman - cant command regular place at Everton but one of our better players  McCarthy - was once the grat new hope but has turned into a journeyman midfielder  Andrews - has dropped from premiership to championship strugglers bu dont doubt his spirit or commitment/Fahey  - not a regular at Birmingham   McLean - could be our answer to Wayne rRooney!!

Long  - best of our forwards but hardly a goal a game man at WBA     Walters - game but limited in ability and not a regular goalscorer /Doyle - way off the boil

Notice something?
Man Utd - no players
Man City - no players
Chelsea - no players
Arsenal - no players
Spurs - no players

Worst squad for Republic in my memory.

Trapp derserves them.

Chelsea, Man City Arsenal have't even many English players. Its not just Ireland who suffer with the lack of players in the big clubs. Obviously they have a few players but not loads. Terry and Lampard aren't  getting and younger City signed Rodwell and Sinclair both English players, but i can't see them being regulars.

Main Street

Quote from: thewobbler on October 20, 2012, 12:38:25 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 19, 2012, 11:41:51 PM

The last paragraph is interesting an it suggests you've bought into Sky's propoganda about the strength and quality of the EPL. Here's something for you: the England team is falling down with top 6 EPL players, yet they still look technically deficient against the majority of international sides. Ireland are a poor man's England in this game. We cannot expect a bunch of average players to outplay anyone.
I don't watch Sky, I don't buy into their propaganda. If I watch an epl game, it's to see how the Irish players perform.
We cannot expect a bunch of average to outplay anyone?  Where did I utter that expectation? I expect our bunch of average players to play competently against another bunch of average players. That expectation is based on the history of most every qualification campaign since 1986, that we are competing in the group to the last game. That's the average standard  - that's not punching above our weight or punching above the weight of the players' current technical abilities -  even compared with most squads since 1992.
What's more evident in the last few years is that intl football has changed,  yet we have reverted to a limited  retro system, stuck with it steadfastly long after it served its purpose for us, . All teams know how we are set up and know we stick to it regardless. What we are left with now against Kazakhstan is hoofing over midfield  to Walters. Are you trying to say that we have not the players to do anything different in the game?
The second half against Faroes, we tried something radically different to our norm and it worked.  Even Norway (under the master of caution, Drillo)  are prepared to change the way they play football in this qual campaign.

magpie seanie

Hope someone sends Trapp a dvd of the West Brom v. Man City game.