FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 14, 2012, 10:15:35 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 08:33:44 PM
The fact that he plays the sectarian card to do so just makes him despicable in my opinion. 
Well, he wasn't far wrong judging by the sectarian abuse that has followed.

Oh and the rugby doesn't compare by the way. Apples and oranges.
Rugby doesn't compare because...you say so? Good argument, well made. :o

dillinger

Well if he wants to play for the Republic fine. He may have a bit of class on the pitch but off it he has none. As Myles says, yes he is a dick.

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Denn Forever

Who would replace O'Shea if he has to withdraw? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18054184

Republic of Ireland's John O'Shea is doubtful for Euro 2012
Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill fears Republic of Ireland defender John O'Shea could be a doubt for Euro 2012.

The player aggravated a calf injury late in the first half of Sunderland's defeat by Manchester United .

"John didn't feel comfortable. He was starting to feel his injury, so he just didn't feel confident at all about moving on it," said O'Neill.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 10:08:59 PM

So he was just misquoted? In quite a few different media outlets? Strange that neither he nor his management saw fit to correct the mistake, don't you think?
He wasn't quoted anywhere as saying he lined out for the u21's at Windsor pk, get it?

QuoteWhy on earth would you be so concerned with what a footballer says - or doesn't say - one day, yet not bothered at all by other things he says? Weird, that.
Firstly, I'm a wee bit concerned when what he didn't say, is being attributed to him, but that's no big deal when it's confined to the halfwits on the OWC eligibility thread.
The level of my concern about McClean is of little importance, but when a liar like yourself copies (almost verbatim) the sentiments from a post on the OWC eligibility thread about what McClean is supposed to have said, take the trouble to post those sentiments here and then have the gall to call him a liar, I reserve the right to take issue with that.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 08:33:44 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 14, 2012, 06:17:02 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 05:44:18 PM
Here's the way it looks: McClean was happy enough to turn out for the north when he'd returned from Lincoln City and was playing for Derry City. Had he been called into the senior squad at that stage, I don't doubt that he'd have taken the cap and worn it to bed. Then he starts getting noticed and there's transfer talk in the papers. He gets a big move to Sunderland and all of a sudden he starts thinking that a cap for the republic is a possibility. Why settle for NI and a football backwater when there's a chance of the Euros?
Do you accept that McClean was 'there for the taking' but instead was ignored for two years while at Derry City by the NI senior management? Cos the way I look at it, NI only wanted him once word about him making a big move last summer became apparent. He was just right to withdraw, from a team that didn't want him/notice him until he became potential premiership material.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 05:44:18 PM
He has to justify his sudden change of heart, so he comes out with all the sectarian bullshit. Worst of all, he calls his team mates - McCourt, McGinn, Baird, Clingan - liars. He's a dick. I quite understand why you feel such an affinity with him.
As a Northern Ireland football fan, do you honestly think those players consider GSTQ their National Anthem? Do you think they consider the defunct Ulster banner their National flag, or feel any affinity to the Union flag? Because I'd call them liars too if they said they did.

RE whether you accept his justifications for the change of heart or not; they are just as valid as the reasons people like me avoid Windsor Park completely.  It is a pity that you, other NI fans and worst of all the IFA don't see the bigger picture, that the baggage associated with the NI team is doing so much damage. So long as this situation remains the same and the empty rhetoric comes from the IFA wigs; I and many others will gladly support any player who plays underage with NI and makes the switch to the ROI for senior.
I can accept 100% that he felt pissed off at not getting a call up to the NI senior team when he was playing well for Derry, particularly when Worthington was handing out caps to a few no hopers. I can accept 100% that he liked the idea of playing football on the big stage for the republic. If he'd stuck with that line, I wouldn't have a problem with him. What I can't abide is that he feels the need to slag off his former team mates, the NI backroom people, and the NI football support in order to justify his decision. The fact that he plays the sectarian card to do so just makes him despicable in my opinion.  I also accept that GSTQ turns a lot of people off supporting NI. I think that the fact that some players and supporters from nationalist backgrounds are prepared to rise above this is to their credit - in exactly the same way that people like Rory Best, Andrew Trimble, Stephen Ferris, etc are prepared to play for Ireland, while thousands of Ulster prods go along to support them, despite the tricolours and the Soldier's Song and the presidential salutes and all that stuff. I'm not a NI fan, btw - prefer to spend my time and money in Ravenhill (and this season, also in Thomond, the Aviva and on Saturday, Twickenham  :))
You should know then that there are strict protocols around anthems and flags in rugby which see no Irish NA abroad and GSTQ in Belfast and The Irish NA in Dublin. The Presidential Salute is a courtesy to the President. Ulster is also represented by the 9 County Flag being flown.

Olaf

.....and the Republic by a tri-colour. The protocols are a mess and not all embracing to all players and supporters.  Unionist Ulster fans and players have not  seen this as a  barrier to them wanting to play for/support the the team.

trileacman

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0515/320958-ireland-may-become-part-of-three-way-bid/

Ireland makes 3 way bid for Euro 2020.

Apart from the Aviva, and they could probably rig in Thomond as well, what other stadia could you throw in?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AZOffaly

Applesisapples

Quote from: Olaf on May 15, 2012, 11:20:38 AM
.....and the Republic by a tri-colour. The protocols are a mess and not all embracing to all players and supporters.  Unionist Ulster fans and players have not  seen this as a  barrier to them wanting to play for/support the the team.
Likewise with Nationalists and the Ulster Rugby team.

Canalman

Honestly think that we are going to be humiliated at the Euros.

We are the proverbial drunk staggering down the motorway.............. lucky so far but a calamity heading our way.

Imvho the players are nowhere near good enough. V good article last weekend comparing the team in Euro 88 to the one we have now. Scary stuff of a comparison.

deiseach

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 15, 2012, 10:59:22 AM
You should know then that there are strict protocols around anthems and flags in rugby which see no Irish NA abroad and GSTQ in Belfast and The Irish NA in Dublin. The Presidential Salute is a courtesy to the President. Ulster is also represented by the 9 County Flag being flown.

GSTQ was not played at Ravenhill when Ireland took on Italy there in August 2007. They can play Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead at rugby matches for all I care but the IRFU should at least be consistent.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Canalman on May 15, 2012, 01:16:04 PM
Honestly think that we are going to be humiliated at the Euros.

I would be surprised if they were. They are extremely difficult to break down and have been pretty much ever since Trap took over. It's not exactly exciting to watch them play but but they are very well drilled at what they do.

That said they could still lose all three games but if they do I don't think they would lose them by much.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: trileacman on May 15, 2012, 11:23:05 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0515/320958-ireland-may-become-part-of-three-way-bid/

Apart from the Aviva, and they could probably rig in Thomond as well, what other stadia could you throw in?

Do the host nations not qualify automatically for these things? Surely they'd never agree to having three teams already pre-qualified.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Bingo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 15, 2012, 01:37:33 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 15, 2012, 11:23:05 AM

Do the host nations not qualify automatically for these things? Surely they'd never agree to having three teams already pre-qualified.

Isn't it been extended to 24 teams at that stage, so maybe they could fit them all in. Think only Turkey are actually interested apart from this consortium.