2010 BDO World Darts.

Started by upmonaghansayswe, January 04, 2010, 04:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laceer

Norris v Wilson was as good a game of darts as I've seen. Worth checking out on iPlayer

the Deel Rover

Quote from: laceer on January 11, 2014, 01:33:10 PM
Norris v Wilson was as good a game of darts as I've seen. Worth checking out on iPlayer

Yeah great game. Some very high Shot outs and high scoring . However these games are few and far between . It's been over 20 years since there has been a 9 dart finish in Lakeside and there is 52 grand for anyone that does it . I think they have stopped the prize money for anyone the achieves a 9 darter in the pdc because it happens that often.     
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

bennydorano

No, Jenkins & the Aussie Beau Anderson? shared something, 50k maybe?

Is the bigger treble bed a true bill? Has to be a factor if it is.

Green is filling the pants here, though Bunting is throwing very well.

Syferus

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 11, 2014, 03:18:14 PM
Quote from: laceer on January 11, 2014, 01:33:10 PM

Yeah great game. Some very high Shot outs and high scoring . However these games are few and far between . It's been over 20 years since there has been a 9 dart finish in Lakeside and there is 52 grand for anyone that does it . I think they have stopped the prize money for anyone the achieves a 9 darter in the pdc because it happens that often.   

30k prize fund for the 9 dart finish at this year's WC. Jenkins and Anderson split it after scoring them in back-to-back losing first round performances. Shows the sheer depth of the PDC now.

timmyot501

Chuck v decker wuz a right match. That 158 check out by jan wuz some hit under pressure. Norris last 30 wuz class too. Missed 15s by a mile and without breaking stride flung in a 7 and banged in double 4. If he had of thought about it he prob would have missed. Hope its a good final. Family guy to win i reckon.

tommysmith

Really is proper darts played in front of people who go to watch darts.

Whatever about the standard it is refreshing to watch.

Sidney

Great darts from Stephen Bunting. He's a worthy world champion. Terrific final with both players hitting 180s for fun. Chuck had a great tournament.

Inevitably there will now be talk of a "unification" showdown between the two champions but I don't think it would be much of a contest, good as ladies champion Lisa Ashton is.

Syferus

Quote from: tommysmith on January 12, 2014, 11:51:46 AM

Looked like a retirement home to me.

tommysmith

Quote from: Syferus on January 12, 2014, 09:27:21 PM

Great crowd though.

From the Bunker

I enjoy the auld Darts. The two Worlds are great this time of year. But unlike Snooker where you have a real Champion. You are left with two lads here looking over their shoulder when the name World champion is bandied about for the year!

Sidney

Quote from: Syferus on January 12, 2014, 09:27:21 PM

There's nothing to touch the audience at the Lakeside. Exactly how a darts audience should behave. You won't find a more knowledgeable and passionate audience in world sport.

The difference between the BDO and pdc is summed up by he amount of women in the respective audiences. At Lakeside, women make up a high proportion of the audience and are treated with respect.

At the Ally Pally the few women who brave to attend are leered at by drunken morons in a threatening and aggressive manner. A nasty, misogynistic atmosphere prevails.

The social functions that each organisation strives towards are obvious: the BDO furthers the cause of gender equality, while the pdc seeks to drag women back into the dark ages.

I know which side I'd rather be on.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 12, 2014, 10:13:52 PM
I enjoy the auld Darts. The two Worlds are great this time of year. But unlike Snooker where you have a real Champion. You are left with two lads here looking over their shoulder when the name World champion is bandied about for the year!

In all honesty it's pretty easy to see that MVG is the real world champion. Even the die-hard darts fans have given up on the notion of the Lakeside being a genuine World Championship. It's a feeder tournament for the PDC at this point, you do well in the BDO and you'll make the jump to PDC where you can be an actual pro. The 2012 Lakeside champion Christian Kist switched over just this week.

tommysmith

Quote from: Syferus on January 12, 2014, 10:27:36 PM

In all honesty it's pretty easy to see that MVG is the real world champion. Even the die-hard darts fans have given up on the notion of the Lakeside being a genuine World Championship. It's a feeder tournament for the PDC at this point, you do well in the BDO and you'll make the jump to PDC where you can be an actual pro. The 2012 Lakeside champion Christian Kist switched over just this week.

It's still a great tournament for the real darts fans who can sit and watch in a nice atmosphere without some idiot dressed as a umpa lumpa singing about boring tables etc.

Edit: Kist has to go to Q school and will have his work cut out to get a tour card.

Syferus

Quote from: tommysmith on January 12, 2014, 10:35:47 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 12, 2014, 10:27:36 PM

It's still a great tournament for the real darts fans who can sit and watch in a nice atmosphere without some idiot dressed as a umpa lumpa singing about boring tables etc.

Edit: Kist has to go to Q school and will have his work cut out to get a tour card.

It's just so static. It's absolutely unsellable as a sport with the manner the BDO manage it. I think its appeal comes from it being a throwback rather than it being terribly good. It's unique because the rest of the sport has moved on to bigger and better horizons.

Sure poor Ted Hankey has to go to q school too, it just shows how good you have to be to reach the top in the PDC.

Hound

Quote from: Sidney on January 09, 2014, 03:49:10 PM
pdc boards having 30% bigger trebles may be a conservative estimate, if anything.

1. That picture has been well proven to be a complete fake in terms of scale.

2. Even Winmau got rid of the staples on their boards years ago!

There's no question there's a higher standard of darts in the PDC, because it has more top class players. The nonsense about the size of the dartboards is just saddos trying to explain the difference in the averages. If you compare the dartboards from the late 70s to the dartboards of today, you might have some case because of the staples (but I doubt even then you'd get to 30% difference in the size of the trebles. But the difference in any one year between Unicorn and Winmau has always been marginal. However, as I said before, Unicorn boards have always given less bounceouts than Winmaus, and that has been a difference year in year out. Even this year with their new Blade 4, the Winmau still had lots of bounceouts. Lesson there for anyone buying a board, always go for one of the Unicorn Eclipse models.

A very enjoyable BDO championship this year. Bunty was definitely the class of the field. Did have a poor game in the QF, but was lucky that Hofstra was a poor opponent. Otherwise Bunty was top notch.

Never rated Dekker or Norris before this year, but both were excellent. Dekker's scoring against Wolfie was tremendous. And Norris was the most entertaining player around. It seems that he's put a lot more practice in this year than before which explains his huge upturn in consistency.

Interesting to see where Bunting goes from here. He'll definitely go to the PDC at some stage, but I'd say he'll do one more year at the BDO. Other that the year of the split, I don't think a reigning Lakeside champion has ever defected. Barney would have been, but was beaten in his last final by Klaasen.