Ban on Charity Kit

Started by Baile Brigín 2, March 27, 2023, 12:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendan

Quote from: blanketattack on March 27, 2023, 02:55:28 PM
GAA: "We want to remain non-political"
GAA: *allows clubs to be named after hunger strikers and allows GAA grounds to hold hunger strike commemorations*

Is it just the hunger strikers that is the problem or will we rename all the Pearses and Clarkes clubs?

blanketattack

Quote from: Brendan on March 27, 2023, 07:31:52 PM
GAA: *allows clubs to be named after hunger strikers and allows GAA grounds to hold hunger strike commemorations*

Is it just the hunger strikers that is the problem or will we rename all the Pearses and Clarkes clubs?

It's the hypocrisy of claiming to be non-political when it suits that's the problem.

Wildweasel74

Did the new Pres not say an objective of his time in office was improving relations with the unionists, drop national anthem etc

RedHand88

https://www.newstalk.com/news/joe-brolly-genuine-rage-among-gaa-supporters-over-ban-on-charities-1450138

Not sure I agree with Joe on this when he says the GAA could look at requests on a case by case basis. Who gets to decide what is politically acceptable?
Would for example, Help for Heroes be acceptable for an English club?

clarshack

It's the correct call by the GAA on this.

johnnycool

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 27, 2023, 03:21:27 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 27, 2023, 03:05:01 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on March 27, 2023, 12:52:08 PM
I agree and disagree on this.. My own club we have cancer research on a training jersey then there's club who support heart foundation, opt for life and then Kevin Bell Trust too. I do know why they're doing it, avoid any political or ideological disagreements down the road but disappointing that health charities couldn't get an exception.

Also they ripped the arse out of GAA jerseys with the Easter rising, proclamations etc Seems a bit contradictory

Pretty sure these were an O'Neills corporate thing and not strictly affiliated to the GAA? was never a fan of them in general.

But yeah I think a sensible decision to curtail it, which doesnt mean that these charities wont be supported in the usual ways by GAA clubs it just will avoid a conflict of interest.

They were O'Neills cash grab you are right but surely they'd have still needed GAA approval to use the "GAA" logo on the chest.. copyright or whatever laws

I don't think the GAA logo is on those jerseys.

RedHand88

Quote from: johnnycool on March 28, 2023, 09:51:46 AM
Quote from: Mourne Red on March 27, 2023, 03:21:27 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 27, 2023, 03:05:01 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on March 27, 2023, 12:52:08 PM
I agree and disagree on this.. My own club we have cancer research on a training jersey then there's club who support heart foundation, opt for life and then Kevin Bell Trust too. I do know why they're doing it, avoid any political or ideological disagreements down the road but disappointing that health charities couldn't get an exception.

Also they ripped the arse out of GAA jerseys with the Easter rising, proclamations etc Seems a bit contradictory

Pretty sure these were an O'Neills corporate thing and not strictly affiliated to the GAA? was never a fan of them in general.

But yeah I think a sensible decision to curtail it, which doesnt mean that these charities wont be supported in the usual ways by GAA clubs it just will avoid a conflict of interest.

They were O'Neills cash grab you are right but surely they'd have still needed GAA approval to use the "GAA" logo on the chest.. copyright or whatever laws

I don't think the GAA logo is on those jerseys.

No GAA logo,  just the oneills logo.

Taylor

The Easter Rising, proclamation & all of the farming/tractor jerseys are abominations

trueblue1234

Quote from: Taylor on March 28, 2023, 11:08:12 AM
The Easter Rising, proclamation & all of the farming/tractor jerseys are abominations

I don't mind the tractor one. The dog and cat ones tho......

People must buy them. O'Neills aren't stupid.
I believe the ploughing championship jerseys are one of O'Neills biggest sellers. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Snapchap

Or allows a recently retired Mayo footballer to launch his Fine Gael election campaign with a video of himself kicking a ball around an empty McHale Park in a full Mayo kit?

Or allows GAA club to host a Fine Gael BBQ?

seafoid

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 27, 2023, 12:39:36 AM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41101834.html

Predictable
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/03/29/curbs-of-charity-logos-on-gaa-jerseys-causes-confusion/
The GAA say charity logos will still be allowed to appear on jerseys – but only if they are registered as a designated shirt sponsor at the start of the year.

However, counties will no longer be permitted to accede to requests for one-off changes mid-season to promote a charity or local cause.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU