NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: ballinaman on March 20, 2023, 08:44:33 AM
Hope it's Galway in the final , great record against them in Croke Park  8)

I would prefer Kerry, it will truly show us where we stand and have we learned anything from the implosions at the end of the Armagh and Roscommon games.
I would rather find out the answer to that on April 2nd than mid July.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: ck on March 20, 2023, 11:44:01 AM
Just my own thoughts on where teams are at,

Mayo - the real deal. Can they find another 10% to win Sam?
Galway - Inconsistent and stuttering. Flashes of brilliance but not top 3 in country. Regressed from last year.
Kerry - Take out the key men and theyre ordinary. With key men, they can retain Sam. Returning to form, slowly.
Rossies - 3 wins in a row, 3 defeats in a row. Flattered to deceive. Lucky to escape relegation.
Armagh - Playing much more conservatively than '22. Progressed last year but not this year so far.
Tyrone - Only a fool would rule out Tyrone. Between them and Derry for Ulster. Have the players.
Monaghan - The jury is out. If they can stay up that will be a huge achievement. Playing better in attack.
Donegal - Lucky they are in Div 1 cos if they were in Div.2 they'd be relegated from there too. Playing terribly.

Entitled to you're opinion but some strange thoughts there. As for my own.

Mayo - are as they are strong panel nice mix of youth and experience and overseen by one the strongest management teams. Didn't need a good league campaign to know they are the real deal truth to be known.

Galway - who are in the top 3 if the tribesmen aren't? they have the opportunity on Sunday to reach the league final off the back of reaching the AI final. That's consistent. Had to deal with plenty of injuries plus no Walsh for most of the league so will be really happy as to where they are going into the championship.

Kerry - Take key men out of every them and they would probably be ordinary. Among the main contenders for Sam. Returning to form, slowly as expected as they were the last team in Div 1 to return to training.

Rossies - Flattered to deceive? before the league started they were strong tipped to finish bottom of the table yet with a win on Sunday could finish with 8 points and 2nd or 3rd in the table.  Lucky to escape relegation most certainly not.

Armagh - What you said about Galway is really Armagh. inconsistent and stuttering. Flashes of brilliance at times and regressed from last year.

Tyrone - Still not overly convinced about Tyrone, they also beat Kerry last year in the league and didn't amount to much. Have to improve defensively if they are to play in the business end of the championship.

Monaghan - Expected league slog for them with a fighting chance on the last league game to stay up. Mayo could well play a 2nd string team against them this Sunday. scoring wise still roughly the same with 14 or 15 points per game average.

Donegal - No new manager bounce and mainly because of long drawn out process and the wrong manager appointment at the end of it. Will struggle in the championship also, can reset in Div 2 next year probably under another new manager.

seafoid

Quote from: ballinaman on March 20, 2023, 08:44:33 AM
Hope it's Galway in the final , great record against them in Croke Park  8)
It's a while since the 2 counties simultaneously had good teams.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Mayo - Loads of energy. Team clicking well. But shur it's  only the League.
Galway - Marked by big name absences . Half forwards  impressed. 
Kerry - Not as interested this year. Replacements underwhelming
Rossies - Tus maith leath na h-oibre. Showed up well in matches lost. A very good bench as well. Status secured so yoyo put away. Interesting to compare them with Cavan now.
Armagh - Defensive issues holding them back
Tyrone - Momentum in the second half . Be afraid.
Monaghan - One of the weakest teams
Donegal - Off field chaos mirrored on field.

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on March 20, 2023, 03:58:45 PM
Mayo - Loads of energy. Team clicking well. But shur it's  only the League.
Galway - Marked by big name absences . Half forwards  impressed. 
Kerry - Not as interested this year. Replacements underwhelming
Rossies - Tus maith leath na h-oibre. Showed up well in matches lost. A very good bench as well. Status secured so yoyo put away. Interesting to compare them with Cavan now.
Armagh - Defensive issues holding them back
Tyrone - Momentum in the second half . Be afraid.
Monaghan - One of the weakest teams
Donegal - Off field chaos mirrored on field.
Maybe last year, but it's be clearly the opposite this year!

Taylor

Mayo - Another year another false dawn
Galway - Grinding out results - if they can get Comer & Walsh firing on all cylinders they will kick out. Great midfield
Kerry - No need to even think about peaking yet - currently just going through the motions
Rossies - Many teams in the league seemed to underestimate them - will be happy with the finish but do nothing as usual come cship
Armagh - Not a clue what McGeeney has done with this team. From all out attack to all out defence. Deserve to go down
Tyrone - Starting to come good and I still dont think we have clicked. Will be a test for any team in the round robins
Monaghan - Could have the great escape yet again - wont count come cship time unless McManus & Mcarron are 100%
Donegal - Shambles of a set up on and off the field

seafoid

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Galway v Kerry the one live Div 1 game on Sunday and TG4 will have live clips/updates from other Div 1 games during the coverage in Salthill.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mouview

Quote from: Taylor on March 20, 2023, 04:50:49 PM
Galway - Grinding out results - if they can get Comer & Walsh firing on all cylinders they will kick out. Great midfield
Kerry - No need to even think about peaking yet - currently just going through the motions
Rossies - Many teams in the league seemed to underestimate them - will be happy with the finish but do nothing as usual come cship
Armagh - Not a clue what McGeeney has done with this team. From all out attack to all out defence. Deserve to go down
Tyrone - Starting to come good and I still dont think we have clicked. Will be a test for any team in the round robins
Monaghan - Could have the great escape yet again - wont count come cship time unless McManus & Mcarron are 100%

Midfield for Galway is their particular weakness, as McDaid has been carrying an injury for a while and Conroy will struggle on the quicker summer ground. Their consistency this spring has been their defense which is refreshingly miserly, especially given the absence of Silke and Molloy and, at times, Glynn. A sharp contrast to 12 months ago when they were the league's leading scorers if I recall.

tonto1888

Don't necessarily disagree about Armagh deserving to go down but if we beat Tyrone and finish on 7. Or we lose and Mayo breath Monaghan then we will have deserved to stay up. Barely

seafoid

I don't think Armagh were poor enough to be relegated. Monaghan gave up in several matches.
Armagh still have 1 point more. I don't expect Mayo to lose either. They need to keep their momentum going as far as the championship.

Blowitupref

Wouldn't say nothing. Last six Connacht titles won by.

Mayo 2
Galway 2
Roscommon 2
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

blanketattack

Could end up with a Connaught 1-2-3 in Div 1 for the 1st time ever.
Has there ever even been a Connaught 1-2 in Div 1?

blanketattack

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 19, 2023, 10:04:38 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 19, 2023, 06:13:54 PM
   Mayo   6   4   2   0   112   82   10
   Galway   6   3   2   1   77   67   8
   Kerry   6   3   0   3   92   88   6
   Tyrone   6   3   0   3   95   94   6
   Roscommon   6   3   0   3   84   83   6
   Armagh   6   2   1   3   79   80   5
   Monaghan   6   2   0   4   89   105   4
   Donegal   6   1   1   4   67   96   3

The only certainty is that Donegal are definitely relegated and Mayo are definitely in the League final. Galway look favourites to join Mayo in a League final but they will need a result against Kerry to guarantee that. I don't think Kerry will be too bothered about that match so I can see a Galway v Mayo League final which could be interesting. In the unlikely event that Monaghan and Armagh both win their final match, there could be a whole host of teams finishing on 6 points in which case scoring difference comes into play and it would be time to get the abacus out.

Donegal aren't definitely relegated. A draw for Armagh and a win for Donegal and Monaghan bring it to points difference. Can't see Donegal doing it, they were septic today

Donegal have to catch up a 28 point points difference, that's good enough for calling it 'definitely relegated' for me.