Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
59 (38.6%)
Failure
61 (39.9%)
Too early to say
33 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 153

full moon

Came across an interesting discussion on Off The Ball yesterday basically saying the earlier Championship this year has not helped at all for GAA media coverage or general attention. They put it that were competing against the the end of season in football and rugby and games arent getting coverage they usually get in previous years.
I know there's 2 Heineken cup games today with Leinster and Munster for instance. And it's the business end in soccer with Liverpool going well.

Was also stated that GAA is not helping itself by putting so much of its football games on the same time, competing against hurling, lack of TV games etc.

full moon

I think it's been a failure so far. I favour going back to the previous way or even pushing it back a month by starting in May and ending in August. It's not really a split season anyway as most clubs are training since February it seems.

I know Pat Spillane is totally against the new calendar and says GAA are shooting itself in the foot leaving half the year for just clubs which get no media interest.

He suggested Hurling and Football do split seasons to maximise publicity etc for GAA. I think it's an interesting idea that could be explored. A lot of the time Football and Hurling are competing against each other for attention. Don't think it would be feasible calendar wise however.

seafoid

I think it's a bad idea. I know it was in response to an ESRI report but it's too early in the year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

pbat

I believe its a complete flop, June, July and good chunk of August you get a free run against football and rugby(world/euro years aside).

thewobbler

How can anyone call it a flop before it gets properly underway?

full moon

Quote from: thewobbler on May 07, 2022, 06:25:22 PM

Well it's going to be over very quickly. Nearly half the teams are already eliminated. It's already well under way but it doesn't seem that have captured the attention of media or the public.

full moon

Quote from: seafoid on May 07, 2022, 03:46:03 PM
I think it's a bad idea. I know it was in response to an ESRI report but it's too early in the year.

Interesting what ESRI report was that? I thought it was basically about giving clubs more attention and the CPA demands.

full moon

Quote from: pbat on May 07, 2022, 06:08:47 PM
I believe its a complete flop, June, July and good chunk of August you get a free run against football and rugby(world/euro years aside).

I agree, it's always a competition to gain public attention and when we have a free run in the summer for the best weather of the year we give it away.

It's going to be all but over in June. It's a massive own goal from a promotion point of view and that's becoming more obvious as time goes by.

And let's not forget we're very lucky the World Cup is in December. When normal service is resumed the Euros and World Cup will be now in peak Championship time every 2 years. Not just the earlier Championship rounds like previously. I doubt that has been taken into account. Only when it happens people will complain.

armaghniac

Quote from: full moon on May 07, 2022, 12:23:18 PM
He suggested Hurling and Football do split seasons to maximise publicity etc for GAA. I think it's an interesting idea that could be explored. A lot of the time Football and Hurling are competing against each other for attention. Don't think it would be feasible calendar wise however.

Splitting the hurling and football makes obvious sense. However, the entire structure of the association has to be subject to the interest of dual players, of whom there might be 100 in the whole island.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Quote from: full moon on May 07, 2022, 06:41:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 07, 2022, 06:25:22 PM

Well it's going to be over very quickly. Nearly half the teams are already eliminated. It's already well under way but it doesn't seem that have captured the attention of media or the public.
compared to all those other seasons when the nation was riveted by the early provincial rounds?

Eire90

Wildweasel74

Like anything, should been left the way it was, other big sports just take the limelight in the summer, All Irelands should remained in September.

Eire90

thewobbler

Quote from: Eire90 on May 07, 2022, 10:43:24 PM
gaa has a lot to compete with these days

One of them being that a lot of the "problems" are imaginary