Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Armagh and Mayo two heavy hitters already in these qualifiers after today.

Teams that could potentially end up in the Sam Maguire qualifiers.
Based on league position : Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan, Kildare, Dublin, Roscommon, Galway, Derry, Meath, Clare, Cork, Louth, Limerick.
Have to get to a provincial final : Down, Westmeath, Longford, Wicklow, Cavan, Sligo, Leitrim, Wexford, Tipperary, Waterford.

Preliminary Round - Weekend 25th/26th May
First Round - Weekend 4th/5th June
Second Round - Weekend 11th/12th June

The 4 winners of the first round will play the losers of the 4 provincial finals

sam03/05

How does a preliminary round work in this competition?

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: sam03/05 on April 24, 2022, 11:25:13 PM
How does a preliminary round work in this competition?

If a tailtean cup team makes their provincial final as far as I know
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

It all depends on luck of the draw, but Mayo could almost end up with more rest time and an easier route to a quarter final.

These are two potential routes to a hypothetical semi final:
Offaly Clare Roscommon
Kerry Dublin Tyrone

The second one is quite unlikely and the first would require an incredibly favourable draw. Still a lot up in the air.

Rossfan

Offaly and Maughan are in the Tailteann ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Rossfan on April 24, 2022, 11:35:28 PM
Offaly and Maughan are in the Tailteann ;)

Not this year, they were in division two. Or do relegated teams get sent down to tailteann this year? In which case do the promoted division 3 teams get sacrificed instead?

Rossfan

Relegated teams Down* and Offaly are Tailteann, promoted Louth and Limerick are in the Sam.

*Unless they get to Ulster Final.

anportmorforjfc

Are the qualifiers an open draw?

twohands!!!

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on April 25, 2022, 10:10:07 AM
Are the qualifiers an open draw?

Yes - open draw for all rounds but in round 2 it will be 4 winners of round 1 versus 4 provincial losers.

PadraicHenryPearse

very confused by this year championship....if tipperary make the Munster final... and they are the only non sam Maguire team to do so, there is a preliminary round???

is the prem round only for beaten Quarter finalists for example,
louth, limerick, Derry, Armagh and Mayo. is it a random draw and only 1 match as four need to progress?

there would be 4 sam maguire teams out at the semi stage... for example 1 leinster team (Meath), Cork, Clare, and Monaghan, out at semi final stage.

Does 1 team get a by

Redhand Santa

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on April 25, 2022, 01:21:40 PM
very confused by this year championship....if tipperary make the Munster final... and they are the only non sam Maguire team to do so, there is a preliminary round???

is the prem round only for beaten Quarter finalists for example,
louth, limerick, Derry, Armagh and Mayo. is it a random draw and only 1 match as four need to progress?

there would be 4 sam maguire teams out at the semi stage... for example 1 leinster team (Meath), Cork, Clare, and Monaghan, out at semi final stage.

Does 1 team get a by

If no division 3 or 4 teams make a provincial final, the 8 division 1/2 teams who don't make their provincial final will play off in round 1 of the qualifiers. The winners of this will then meet the 4 beaten provincial finalists in round 2. Win this and you are in the quarter finals.

In the scenario above with Tipp reaching the final, that will leave 9 division 1/2 teams who didn't make a provincial final. 2 of these teams will be drawn out in the preliminary round.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rossfan

3 teams certain to "qualify" for the Qualifiers next weekend-
Losers of Clare/Limerick, Kildare/Louth and Tyrone/Derry .
I wonder what our man Paddy Neilan did to upset the GAA?
They've landed him with the whistle for Tyrone/Derry!

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on April 25, 2022, 07:12:31 PM
When will the draw be made?
Running the all Ireland from mid April must be awkward for the golfing GAA fan . The weather is not the same as it would be in June.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Orior

Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2022, 07:55:29 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 25, 2022, 07:12:31 PM
When will the draw be made?
Running the all Ireland from mid April must be awkward for the golfing GAA fan . The weather is not the same as it would be in June.

Tell me about it. I had to forego two free tickets in Ballybofey to go to an Ireland Four-Ball match. And both my teams lost :-/
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians