Donegal vs Armagh Ulster Championship 2022

Started by Armagh18, March 31, 2022, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Honestly, these days I wouldn't be the best one to ask. I rarely get home and if I do, I'm from far enough away that I wouldn't be in the twin towns except passing through on the way to Letterkenny or going there for a match, and close enough that I wouldn't be eating or drinking there anyway.

There's probably Tyrone lads who'd be better positioned to advise you.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on April 21, 2022, 07:58:31 PM
J70 your probably the best to ask, is there any decent bars or somewhere for a good bite to eat around ballybofey?

There are, yes, and the bar in Jackson's Hotel is probably as good as any on matchday, and good for a bite there too. On the Main Street in Ballybofey, you'll also have the Villa Rose, and various other options for bars and bites, all of which are just beside Páirc Mac Cumhaill.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Throw ball

Quote from: JoG2 on April 21, 2022, 05:50:57 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 21, 2022, 05:47:39 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on April 21, 2022, 05:28:00 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 21, 2022, 05:25:33 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on April 21, 2022, 05:02:15 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 21, 2022, 04:49:32 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on April 21, 2022, 02:57:45 PM
Oisín McConville let himself down on the Examiner's podcast talking about social media campaigns and other things being orchestrated against Armagh. You could sense the other lads trying to keep the conversation afloat while stopping McConville from unravelling any further.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40855121.html

That's an excellent interview where Oisin simply confirms what many people thought at the time - that the whole incident was deliberately orchestrated by Donegal. He also makes a very good point that the Donegal lads didn't appeal as they felt they were guilty of something.

You're an Armagh supporter I'm guessing then. How can Oisín McConville 'confirm' anything in this instance? He was rightly told by the host of the podcast that all he was offering was speculation, which he then attempted to backtrack from. Awful interview.

The host nor the other guests were not really aware of what took place during the game but Oisin McConville was well informed. He confirmed what most people thought at the time, in that Donegal deliberately orchestrated the row and tried to pull a fast one. I would also add that they were afraid that Murphy might get hauled up and also suspended if they had appealed the original suspensions.

So somehow Donegal knew that if they started a row that Armagh would react but also somehow that they would get away with it while armagh got the punishment. Jesus that's better foresight that mystic meg

They tried to provoke a reaction and got what they wanted initially. Except that it backfired on them when they didn't appeal the original suspensions and all of the Armagh players were then rightly exonerated.
[/b]

In a sentence, why was Rian O'Neill, who was seen striking rightly exonerated?

I think this was discussed previously. Rian's actions were not as clear cut as you suggest. He didn't swing a punch. He pushed his hand out which he would suggest was to push away an aggressor. Others think differently.  I think his defence , however,  would have been that fair process was not followed in that he was picked out in the video evidence while others - from both counties- did worse or similar and did not get picked out.

As for Oisin. I didn't hear what he said but he is always likely to defend his nephew.

illdecide

Haven't commented on the suspensions etc and my take on it is Croke Park should hire Joe Brolly, F Logan etc and the guys who know how to get people off on a technicality and rewrite the rule book once and for all so there is no more of this crap.

As for game Donegal are 5/6 and Armagh 11/8 to win the game and i'm very surprised by them odds, I would have thought Donegal would have been bigger favourites for the game with their record at home and their number over Armagh for the last decade and more. It is the strongest Armagh team in a Decade TBF so no better time to break the hoodoo but it will be tough. I believe Armagh will have to score a goal or two to win and they have the firepower to do so but can we keep them out at the other end?. Paddy McBrearty is difficult to stop and there are Brennan and Murphy which can cause havoc.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Eire90

Will provincials mean even less next season because of the new format i see they will use league standings to seed teams i thought they might have seeded the four provincial champions in each group.

yellowcard

I've listened to a few previews where the consensus is that it will be a tight low scoring encounter that will go down to the wire. I think it will be tight and will probably go down to the wire alright but I think it could well be a high scoring match. Both sides have question marks over their goalkeepers and defence whilst the strengths of both teams would appear to be in attack. I just think that Armagh have a bit more strength in depth than Donegal with subs like Soupy, Oisin O'Neill and Turbitt available to come off the bench. Those 3 players could be the difference come the last 20 minutes of the match. Armagh by 1 point.

J70

I'd agree. Definitely a 50/50 match going in, and I think there'll be plenty of scoring.

That said, there are a few question marks over the match fitness of three or four players who would normally start for Donegal from midfield up, while McFadden-Ferry will be a big miss for us. Bonner said only Gallen is definitely out, but it would be far from the first time for him if he up-playing the fitness of the squad.

Part of me worries that we could be looking at a 1999 scenario when an up and coming Armagh announced themselves to the world in a Ballybofey quarter final (went to a replay that time, but Armagh came back from a seven point deficit in the first ten minutes and never looked back).

twohands!!!

Quote from: Eire90 on April 22, 2022, 01:57:07 PM
Will provincials mean even less next season because of the new format i see they will use league standings to seed teams i thought they might have seeded the four provincial champions in each group.

The winners of the provincials will be the 1st seeds.
The losers of the provincials will be the 2nd seeds.
Best four based on league position (after the 8 provincial finalists are taken out) will be 3rd seeds.
Next four based on league position (after the 8 provincial finalists are taken out) will be 4th seeds.
If the Tailteann cup winner from the previous year doesn't qualify via another route (getting to a provincial final or being in the top 8 league teams after the provincial finalists are removed) they will replace the 8th best team from the league as one of the the 4th seeds.

naka

Quote from: J70 on April 22, 2022, 06:34:30 PM
I'd agree. Definitely a 50/50 match going in, and I think there'll be plenty of scoring.

That said, there are a few question marks over the match fitness of three or four players who would normally start for Donegal from midfield up, while McFadden-Ferry will be a big miss for us. Bonner said only Gallen is definitely out, but it would be far from the first time for him if he up-playing the fitness of the squad.

Part of me worries that we could be looking at a 1999 scenario when an up and coming Armagh announced themselves to the world in a Ballybofey quarter final (went to a replay that time, but Armagh came back from a seven point deficit in the first ten minutes and never looked back).
For some strange reason I see this weekend as 1999 revisited and Armagh make it back to the big time.
Sunday will tell us if we have another false dawn but I am definitely feeling positive

keeperlit

Quote from: naka on April 22, 2022, 10:14:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 22, 2022, 06:34:30 PM

For some strange reason I see this weekend as 1999 revisited and Armagh make it back to the big time.
Sunday will tell us if we have another false dawn but I am definitely feeling positive

I hope you are right but can't see anything other than a Donegal win. Too many weak leaks on the current team compared to the 1999 team but, as I said,  I hope I am proved to be a pessimistic auld git!

5times5times

Quote from: 5times5times on April 21, 2022, 02:46:22 PM
Rafferty

Morgan
Forker
McKay

Mackin
McCabe
JOB

Grimley
Crealey

Kelly
Grugan
Nugent

Turbitt
Rian
Murnin

Subs
Oisin ONeill
Soupy
Duffy
Hall
Shields

Got 13/15 right!  ;D

Rafferty
Morgan Forker McKay
Grimley McCabe JOB
Mackin Crealey
Hall Grugan Kelly
Nugent Oneill Duffy.

Serious bench with Oisin Oneill, Turbitt and Campbell coming on.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.