Donegal vs Armagh Ulster Championship 2022

Started by Armagh18, March 31, 2022, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2022, 03:18:13 PM
But they can't ref at that level without passing the fitness test, which is a high enough bar to be fair, they also have the rules test, which again the pass rate is late 90'!

The inconsistency or consistency you are getting or looking for is impossible as the game has so many different variables to rugby and cannot be used as an example, the rules are straight forward and the game is played at a 10th of the pace , the referee is literally 2 meters from play, again impossible for our games.

You mentioned players learning how a ref plays his game and learning from his pattern of play, that is a must for any decent player or manager worth his salt to understand, if a player goes in blindly to how a ref approaches a game then I find that daft..

Some ref's give extra steps in a tackle, some blow for the slightest touch and others forget their cards and don't mind a little hustle in the tackle, other refs are very rulesy and you need to know that .
What I am suggesting is that those decent Refs who may not pass the fitness test should be used as linesmen.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 29, 2022, 10:55:03 AM
But they can't ref at that level without passing the fitness test, which is a high enough bar to be fair, they also have the rules test, which again the pass rate is late 90'!

The inconsistency or consistency you are getting or looking for is impossible as the game has so many different variables to rugby and cannot be used as an example, the rules are straight forward and the game is played at a 10th of the pace , the referee is literally 2 meters from play, again impossible for our games.

You mentioned players learning how a ref plays his game and learning from his pattern of play, that is a must for any decent player or manager worth his salt to understand, if a player goes in blindly to how a ref approaches a game then I find that daft..

Some ref's give extra steps in a tackle, some blow for the slightest touch and others forget their cards and don't mind a little hustle in the tackle, other refs are very rulesy and you need to know that .
What I am suggesting is that those decent Refs who may not pass the fitness test should be used as linesmen.

And put the fittest ref's in the middle who haven't faired as well in the exams? There's more to it I'd expect, experience has to be key, their assessment scores (things we don't see) The ability to handle a match with over 35,000 people watching and whatever on tv. Not for everybody, its a tough gig and anyone thinks he just ways in and blows his whistle and heads off afterwards doesn't have a clue.

If it were that easy we'd have no issues with numbers taking up the whistle, as it is we don't and I'd say a lot of that is down to abuse, like why the fcuk would you do it? It ain't for the money lol!!

I much prefer to be in the middle than the line, Nearly do as many miles and the abuse is closer and more frequent
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

5times5times

No sure what pedestal Oisin McConville is on about referees.. During his time managing Cross, he was a scourge along the line. Esp his aura of "how dare you give a decision against Cross!"

His abuse of referees was well known, and many breathed a sigh of relief when he left

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 29, 2022, 11:51:47 AM

And put the fittest ref's in the middle who haven't faired as well in the exams? There's more to it I'd expect, experience has to be key, their assessment scores (things we don't see) The ability to handle a match with over 35,000 people watching and whatever on tv. Not for everybody, its a tough gig and anyone thinks he just ways in and blows his whistle and heads off afterwards doesn't have a clue.

If it were that easy we'd have no issues with numbers taking up the whistle, as it is we don't and I'd say a lot of that is down to abuse, like why the fcuk would you do it? It ain't for the money lol!!

I much prefer to be in the middle than the line, Nearly do as many miles and the abuse is closer and more frequent
I didn't say those who failed the exams, I have reffed at a reasonable level I know its not easy, that's why linesmen need to be involved.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 29, 2022, 01:29:57 PM

I didn't say those who failed the exams, I have reffed at a reasonable level I know its not easy, that's why linesmen need to be involved.

I'm not saying you haven't ref'd at a reasonable level but have you ref'd In Ulster Championship level? 

They do use linesman and umpires, example last week at Corrigan , corner back in the second half was getting shirty with the Cavan lad, they both ended up rolling on the ground, ref booked the the Antrim lad because he started it.. The ref consulted with his linesman (Hurson I believe) and his umpires.

My point stands, in that these are the best we have, they have to jump through a lot of hoops to get there, they just don't turn up and say the are ready.

Are you looking a ref based on how you'd like a ref to ref a game? join the club, what you like won't suit someone else and what he likes won't suit you!

They are assessed, trained and coached to referee these games, poor assessment you don't get the game, CP don't care what pundits or Joe public thinks tbh..

I think like a lot of things in life we like to look for the blame of things elsewhere, 99% of games are not lost because of the ref, some decisions may go against how you felt it should have been but the reality is it's lost either by the players poor decisions or the lines poor decisions.

The ref blew his whistle in that game and he was just, just outside the 21, that was after the ball was launched, nearly 60 yards in a second, now I'm quick but I'd never make that distance to be 2 meters away .. he was just outside the 21 and they were just outside or on the small square that's not bad and closer than the pundits
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 29, 2022, 01:45:48 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 29, 2022, 01:29:57 PM

I'm not saying you haven't ref'd at a reasonable level but have you ref'd In Ulster Championship level? 

They do use linesman and umpires, example last week at Corrigan , corner back in the second half was getting shirty with the Cavan lad, they both ended up rolling on the ground, ref booked the the Antrim lad because he started it.. The ref consulted with his linesman (Hurson I believe) and his umpires.

My point stands, in that these are the best we have, they have to jump through a lot of hoops to get there, they just don't turn up and say the are ready.

Are you looking a ref based on how you'd like a ref to ref a game? join the club, what you like won't suit someone else and what he likes won't suit you!

They are assessed, trained and coached to referee these games, poor assessment you don't get the game, CP don't care what pundits or Joe public thinks tbh..

I think like a lot of things in life we like to look for the blame of things elsewhere, 99% of games are not lost because of the ref, some decisions may go against how you felt it should have been but the reality is it's lost either by the players poor decisions or the lines poor decisions.

The ref blew his whistle in that game and he was just, just outside the 21, that was after the ball was launched, nearly 60 yards in a second, now I'm quick but I'd never make that distance to be 2 meters away .. he was just outside the 21 and they were just outside or on the small square that's not bad and closer than the pundits
What I mean is I'd like linesmen to be able to notify the ref of foul play he may have missed as the action proceeds, as in soccer and rugby they can't do that. It was someone else who said that linesmen are often competing with the ref for the next game. I'm saying use refs on the line who aren't in the frame for championship games.